Any meetups anymore?

grumpyoldman

53 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Kicking myself in the nuts would be my choice.

This sort post and all the other similar style display why previous attempts at 'get-togethers' fail. As an original mod of the very old phuket.com I was asked to arrange a get together of members who were mostly tourist visitor. I found that while folks back then chatty on the forum, but get togethers where stale and with much silence.

A never attended the early annual Thai Visa gatherings in Phuket due to location and driving considerations. First I attended was when a Kata venue was selected so I attended. It was well attended but with little inter mingling. Just a lot of cliques old chums having free drinks. As a newbie I was just happy to go home. I believe that was  the last Phuket meeting 2006 I would guess. After that Phuket members could not agree on a location for the next year and that was the end of it.

About then all the other regional gathering just fizzled away.

Edited by LivinginKata
typos
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Used to go to a few Nanaplaza.com meetings, 1999-2005 as it turned out I wish I had never heard of them, I avoid all foreigners in person since then. I was extorted by a bar owing advertiser on there, my wife was threatened and followed home from work with attempts made to find her room number, the usual threats about immigration, blacklisting and violence. In those days many knew each other real names, not a good idea. Happily the bar owner was shot dead 2 years ago after gunning down his ex and business partner.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:

Back in the day of TVisa, we had some meetups. Everybody gets past the nic, and put a handshake and face to things. Skippers sports club, previously we had over the line softball games.

Be in town first week of March, Xylo, whoever posters, Jungceylon pub(?), Xy, your call? Be happy to buy couple rounds of drinks for posters.

If interesting great, if not understood. Cheers, GOM

Analysing most posters on this forum are politely said uninteresting. Not being a masochist I definitly wont travel half Thailand to attend such lind of meeting

17 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:

Back in the day of TVisa, we had some meetups.

Are you sure? Never heard of them.

Heavy security would be required, From what I read on these forums most of the guys are quite rude and hostile on the keyboard, lots of warriors.

I'm sure there'd be some casualties at a meeting. ⛑️

Edited by Cricky
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:

Back in the day of TVisa, we had some meetups. Everybody gets past the nic, and put a handshake and face to things. Skippers sports club, previously we had over the line softball games.

Be in town first week of March, Xylo, whoever posters, Jungceylon pub(?), Xy, your call? Be happy to buy couple rounds of drinks for posters.

If interesting great, if not understood. Cheers, GOM

Well, there’s not a lot of the original members left . Burma Bill, and the one who left for Siem Reap , jingthing, Simon 43 who I think I remember from Phuket, any more ?? And where have you been grumpyoldman ? It was friendlier years back , less hate . Maybe start a thread on the original members. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, geisha said:

Well, there’s not a lot of the original members left . Burma Bill, and the one who left for Siem Reap , jingthing, Simon 43 who I think I remember from Phuket, any more ?? And where have you been grumpyoldman ? It was friendlier years back , less hate . Maybe start a thread on the original members. 

He is posting in the Phuket forum, all the trolling in this thread seems to come from not Phuket based members.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, sirineou said:

The republicans have one . It has a dress code that I never understood , White sheets and pointy hats? 

They invited all progressives  to come . Another strange request, they said it's a bring your own rope. 

I guess there were arts and crafts events. 

Nice to see that some people have a sense of humor,

as bad as mine:laugh:

To all of those who got offended . IT WAS A JOKE!! perhaps not very funny and a poor attempt. but a joke.

you don't think that I honestly thought  expats on the right have meets where they wear white robes and burn crosses? 

With the threat of fire from the drought I am sure they don't burn crosses. :tongue:

Edited by sirineou
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, proton said:

Used to go to a few Nanaplaza.com meetings, 1999-2005 as it turned out I wish I had never heard of them, I avoid all foreigners in person since then. I was extorted by a bar owing advertiser on there, my wife was threatened and followed home from work with attempts made to find her room number, the usual threats about immigration, blacklisting and violence. In those days many knew each other real names, not a good idea. Happily the bar owner was shot dead 2 years ago after gunning down his ex and business partner.

Sounds like early days on this one

17 hours ago, proton said:

What did they have on you to extort you with?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, save the frogs said:

statistically speaking, in a group of 20 random expats, you will have at least one or two very shady characters if not outright criminals?

i don't know what the odds are. just a guess.

I'd say much higher than that here in the 21c answer to Tortuga in it's hayday...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

What did they have on you to extort you with?

Threats of defamation and violence due to opinions posted about the pimps brothel. As he shot his ex gf and his business partner he was a proven criminal thug who would stop at nothing.

Edited by proton