Sadiq Khan blocks late Queen statue in Trafalgar Square until 2030 in favour of 'woke' art

Social Media

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Would you like me to call you and others ant-Monarchist instead, which you are........?

Sorry you can't have your Nicola on display....Anywhere........🤭

Anti monarchist is fine by me - you can be supportive of your country whilst objecting to some of its more archaic institutions.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Anti monarchist is fine by me - you can be supportive of your country whilst objecting to some of its more archaic institutions.

Yeh, riiiiiiiiight......................:coffee1:

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, retarius said:

Sorry the two genders is grounded in fact, and is not a religious dogma. The contrived genders are not genders at all except in the minds of the deluded. Sorry.

Actually it’s not.

And I’d be very surprised if you or any of the outraged right wingers around here gave gender much thought at all until you were fed transphobia by your politics idols.

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Plenty of bigotry from the Wokeists.

Let's start with their attitude towards...

• Jews/Israel.
  • Conservatives (especially if they are black, cue the "Uncle Tom" and "superficially black" insults).
  • Cultural appropriation (one direction only, they have no issue with black women straightening their hair for example).
  • Those who reject identity politics.
  • "Positive" discrimination (a synonym for supporting discrimination against white people).
  • People who believe in the nation state/borders.
  • People who believe in biological reality e.g. believe women do not have male genitalia or that men cannot be pregnant.

In fact, pretty much anyone who does not subscribe to their own Woke beliefs.

I'd argue the more Woke someone is, the more bigoted they are.

As for educated and enlightened? I'd say ignorant, dogmatic, sanctimonious, pretentious, gullible and neophilic are more accurate descriptions. 

Criticism of Israel doesn't make you anti Jewish

Toughen up, snowflake

Only idiots go on about cultural appropriation, and hardly anyone does, just more fake outrage

Conservatives love identify politics - look at Trump supporters

Again, mostly made up bs and isolated cases, no systemic oppression of white people, as I as a hardcore lefty would call it out if it happened

People have different opinions on borders sometimes, suck it up, that is what free speech is about

Just cos yo don't understand actual biology, doesn't mean we have to humor your ignorance

Like most conservatives you come across as very fragile 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Wrong.  That only started at the end of the 1990's!

The fourth plinth is the northwest plinth in Trafalgar Square in central London. Was built in 1841.

It was originally intended to hold an equestrian statue of William IV, but remained bare due to insufficient funds.

In 1998,  three contemporary sculptures were commissioned to be displayed temporarily on the plinth.

A tradition that has been continued till today!

(the above has ben edited) 

Fourth plinth - Wikipedia

So, I am not wrong then, cos as stated it is used as rotating art piece.... the tradition that continues till today 🙂 

"The fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square has been used for a wide variety of art projects. 

Many such projects are currently being considered, and the Mayor of London has not, and does not, express any opinion on them."

Fake outrage from GBNews snd The Express, to get idiots frothed up

• Like 1

6 hours ago, transam said:

But folk like you prefer an ice cream van thing placed there as being important whilst probably munching your Big Mac

Who are folk like me then? People who don't get outraged by made up <deleted>? I will give you that one 🙂

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Who are folk like me then? People who don't get outraged by made up <deleted>? I will give you that one 🙂

Wos "made up delete"...............?  🤔

7 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

cos it was always destined to be a rotating art piece, but you carry on 

55 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

So, I am not wrong then, cos as stated it is used as rotating art piece.... the tradition that continues till today 🙂 

NO!

You are wrong! Just read your post above where you stated "cos it was always destined to be a rotating art piece"!

That is not true as I pointed out in my reply where I said

"That only started at the end of the 1990's!

The fourth plinth is the northwest plinth in Trafalgar Square in central London. Was built in 1841."

Please do not try and rewrite history or tell lies to correct your mistakes!

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

NO!

You are wrong! Just read your post above where you stated "cos it was always destined to be a rotating art piece"!

That is not true as I pointed out in my reply where I said

"That only started at the end of the 1990's!

The fourth plinth is the northwest plinth in Trafalgar Square in central London. Was built in 1841."

Please do not try and rewrite history or tell lies to correct your mistakes!

Well it wasn’t left empty in 1841 in readiness for an as yet unborn queen to come along, die and be memorized on the site.

It was however decided after a Secretary of State sponsored public consultation to reset the plinth for the display of temporary and continually rotated art.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Wrong.  That only started at the end of the 1990's!

The fourth plinth is the northwest plinth in Trafalgar Square in central London. Was built in 1841.

It was originally intended to hold an equestrian statue of William IV, but remained bare due to insufficient funds.

In 1998,  three contemporary sculptures were commissioned to be displayed temporarily on the plinth.

A tradition that has been continued till today!

(the above has ben edited) 

Fourth plinth - Wikipedia

22 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well it wasn’t left empty in 1841 in readiness for an as yet unborn queen to come along, die and be memorized on the site.

It was however decided after a Secretary of State sponsored public consultation to reset the plinth for the display of temporary and continually rotated art.

Please read my original post and the link to get your facts in order without distorting them!

"In 1998,  three contemporary sculptures were commissioned to be displayed temporarily on the plinth.

A tradition that has been continued till today!"

!

4 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Please read my original post and the link to get your facts in order without distorting them!

"In 1998,  three contemporary sculptures were commissioned to be displayed temporarily on the plinth.

A tradition that has been continued till today!"

!

In 1841 was it cast in preparation for the demise of Elizabeth 2? 

35 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

In 1841 was it cast in preparation for the demise of Elizabeth 2? 

I suggest you read my earlier posts before posting such a stupid/pointless  question/post!

Plinths are not cast they are built so that something which is cast may be placed upon them!

As Sir Charles Barry, the architect, designed the plinth in 1841 for William IV, how could he possibly have any pre knowledge of HM QE11 1926-2022?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ozimoron said:

In what dictionary did you "find that"? The rules of this forum require that we speak English here.

I find it in the posts I read on the internet and from listening to different people talking about it.   
As to dictionaries.   Woke used to be something related to the opposite of asleep, if I recall correctly.  Sort of like "gay" used to mean " lighthearted and carefree", "Nan had a gay disposition and a very pretty face", now it means something entirely different.   

10 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I suggest you read my earlier posts before posting such a stupid/pointless  question/post!

Plinths are not cast they are built so that something which is cast may be placed upon them!

As Sir Charles Barry, the architect, designed the plinth in 1841 for William IV, how could he possibly have any pre knowledge of HM QE11 1926-2022?

Ok so now we are getting somewhere...

I also share your suspicions that Mr Barry had no specific knowledge of the birth of ER2, let alone her demise. Ergo, the plinth was never designated for her, and any suggestion that Khan is going against some prior agreement is a lie and this whole issue is a fabrication designed to rile the perma-angry Daily Express readers, and to damage the mayor of London.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, James105 said:

So instead of the queen this is what is going up.  Any moment now I'm sure I am going to wake up and find this bonkers timeline was all just some kind of really weird dream.  Or at least I hope that is what this is.   It can't be real.... can it?? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-68565332

image.png.971009d4e723aa38baab7a09984c253e.png

We've had public art there for 25 years, rotated every two years so that continues. Why should we ditch that for the queen who only recently died?  She'll get her place in due time, for now London can continue as a city or art and culture, not pompous celebrations of privileged people born in to wealth (although I do think the queen was a decent public servant, unlike the rest of her entitled family of leeches).

She'll have a prominent statue somewhere, probably parliament square or somewhere - not Trafalgar Square.

Does it bother you?

• Agree 2