Bye bye Electric & Hello Hydrogen?

Sounds like another pipe dream and scam to replace the failing BEV markets around the globe. I'll but an electric car when the bugs are out and the charging infrastructure exists and the pierce comes down. I'm not an early adopter of tech because the price always plummets after a few years and the products improve. Hydrogen will be much the same I predict....and what will we do when all that water vapour heats up the globe? Water vapour is a more potent greenhouse gas than Co2 or methane. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Last summer during the peak of the heat, we (who are in a rather moderate climatic part of Thailand) had rolling brownouts.  Our PEA suggested it was due to the new number of electric vehicles sucking power.  

This year is supposed to be hotter.  I wonder if the brownouts (or even blackouts) will happen again?  With even greater frequency or intensity?

I am an electric can fan, but.......  I have a hybrid.  My electric bill is not affected.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, eezergood said:

I am still not convinced, yet I am also not convinced we can ever have enough power & recourses to have electric cars....... 

Hydrogen is not a power source. You split water with energy into Hydrogen and Oxygen and then burn the Hydrogen together with Oxygen to release energy. It's more like a battery. You don't gain power by storing it in Hydrogen. It doesn't solve any demand in power.

16 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Mars - Musk is onto it........

Ah yes. Fly to Mars, split water into Hydrogen, transport it back to Earth. That makes sense. Wait, Earth is covered two thirds by water, why do we have to fly to Mars again?

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

I thought I remembered this coming up before............

They've been around for decades, just most people are smart enough to avoid them.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Simple question.

Where will the hydrogen come from?

Hydrogen can be produced through electrolysis, hence solar. It will happen but sadly the highest potential for production will be in the hands of people who have the strange habit of using tablecloths as headwear.

Hydrogen won't be a source of energy, only a means of storage.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Agree 1

Details of their tie-up will be ironed out later. But the recent race in Buriram offers hints on what they may have planned.

Among Toyota's race entrants was a hydrogen-powered Corolla, which Toyoda himself drove. The vehicle was powered by an engine fueled partly with hydrogen made from chicken manure at CP Group's poultry farms and processed by Toyota's Thai unit.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Toyota-drives-EV-and-hydrogen-push-in-Thailand-its-second-home

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

IMHO it is obvious that EV are not suitable for a large-scale solution. It works with some of them on the streets, but it wouldn't work if the streets would be full of EV.

I guess hydrogen is a possibility. Let's see. 

...reasons being?

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, sirineou said:

, That would be great, do all of the third world countries know?

Seriously, pouting aside all the other challenges  of of conventional EV batteries, what do you think would be easier, Upgrade the worlds electrical grid infustracture, and have to live with all the other conventional EV battery issues, or develope a hydrogen infustracture. 

at this point 2.2% of the worlds vehicles are conventional  battery electric, and already there are issues.

The main material in  fuel cell battery is so prevalent that people often drown in it. The only issue is the extraction by current technology. But what technology  ever stays static?  When extraction becomes easier , and a hydrogen infustracture is developer, conventional EV batteries would only be a milestone in the history of the development of the EV. 

Same thing I can say for hydrogen , and the main point of my post.Once the extraction of hydrogen becomes easier and cost effective, there would be no point in raveging the world by mining,and  making trade deals with countries,  Rain would be fine, and easily accessible to everyone.

because at this point the path of least Instance is conventional battery EV, and the need to do something about climate change fast. At this point conventional battery EV are the best option. This will not be true for ever. 

And we all need to stop using the term BEV, both conventional Battery, and  hydrogen fuel cell batteries are  Batteries. by definition. 

An additional point to consider is battery degradation in terms of cycles . At this point. a conventional ev battery will have

between 1500 and 2000 charge cycles"

https://www.thebluedot.co/blogs/should-electric-cars-be-charged-every-day#:~:text=More time spent charging an,% and discharge to 0%.

Where the new generation  Hydrogen fuel cell battery  can accomplice 

"The catalyst still performs at 97% of its activity after over 100,000 cycles."

https://cosmosmagazine.com/science/hydrogen-fuel-cell-catalyst/#:~:text=The new hydrogen fuel cell,activity after over 100%2C000 cycles.

So in conclusion,conventional EV batteries are more desirable because the energy delivery infustracture already exists , but they have a long, charging time, much lower number of charging cycles.  at 100% usage some countries will have grid issues. and availability of minerals needed,

Where in Hydrogen fuel cell batteries, hydrogen is the most abundant element in the Universe, but because it binds with oxygen to form water , more difficult to extract at this point of technological Development, the delivery infrastructure does not exist in the scale nessacery, but both of these challenges will change in the near future..It recharges in five minutes. has unlimited range, and much longer battery life.

IMO it is the buttery type of the future, there is a reason both Toyota and GM are betting on it, and it is not because they are stupid. And there is the Geopolitical aspect also. China dominates the conventional battery market, Hydrogen might be the way for the US to brake that dominance. 

Third world countries without electric infrastructure are not suitable today for BEV cars, they are probably not suitable for H2 cars either because there is no infrastructure to deliver the H2.  In 20-30 years when BEV's are mainstream, will the third world countries still be third world?  I think it's likely if they are they will be running old ICE cars and maybe other countries will be exporting them there.  One of the UK's richest men made his fortune by shipping old bus engines and transmissions to Asia as the bus companies upgraded to more modern technology.

Don't forget the scientific limitations on H2.  It can never be any better than twice as expensive per kilometer for H2 compared to BEV, it's currently 5 times more expensive.  You can never turn electricity into hydrogen and back again at the efficiency level of a BEV, it's an impossibility.  I can't see anyone subsidising H2, more likely taxing it, why? because they can!

The best way to use H2 is in a fuel cell.  Guess what a Fuel Cell cars also has?  If you guessed a Lithium based battery, you would be correct.  They have to have a battery because Fuel Cells are slow to react, they take time to ramp up and ramp down.  It's a much smaller battery than a BEV, and it will be cycled a lot more, it's unlikely to last as long as a BEV battery.  Fuel Cells waste energy in the form of heat, much like an ICE.

Your conclusion about why BEV's are more desirable is true today.  In the future it will be true because they cost between 20% and 50% to run compared to an H2 car, 50% if they achieve utopia in producing, storing, delivering H2 to drivers, which will never happen, 33% is probably it.

Edited by JBChiangRai
Spellong

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Third world countries without electric infrastructure are not suitable today for BEV cars, they are probably not suitable for H2 cars either because there is no infrastructure to deliver the H2.  In 20-30 years when BEV's are mainstream, will the third world countries still be third world?  I think it's likely if they are they will be running old ICE cars and maybe other countries will be exporting them there.  One of the UK's richest men made his fortune by shipping old bus engines and transmissions to Asia as the bus companies upgraded to more modern technology.

Don't forget the scientific limitations on H2.  It can never be any better than twice as expensive per kilometer for H2 compared to BEV, it's currently 5 times more expensive.  You can never turn electricity into hydrogen and back again at the efficiency level of a BEV, it's an impossibility.  I can't see anyone subsidising H2, more likely taxing it, why? because they can!

The best way to use H2 is in a fuel cell.  Guess what a Fuel Cell cars also has?  If you guessed a Lithium based battery, you would be correct.  They have to have a battery because Fuel Cells are slow to react, they take time to ramp up and ramp down.  It's a much smaller battery than a BEV, and it will be cycled a lot more, it's unlikely to last as long as a BEV battery.

Your conclusion about why BEV's are more desirable is true today.  In the future it will be true because they cost between 20% and 50% to run compared to an H2 car, 50% if they achieve utopia in producing, storing, delivering H2 to drivers, which will never happen.

I guess the future will tell. 

• Thumbs Up 1