Thai Transport Minister Addresses High Ticket Prices for Bangkok-Phuket Flights

webfact

image.jpeg

At 9:30 AM, on February 20th, 2024, Mr. Suriya Juangroongruangkit, the Thai Minister of Transport, gave an interview before the Cabinet meeting regarding the issue of some airline passengers criticizing that ticket prices for Bangkok-Phuket flights were too high.

Suriya stated that the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT), responsible for setting the fare ceiling for airlines, investigated the claim that Bangkok-Phuket flight tickets were too expensive.

Upon investigation, it was found that the flight tickets were roughly 10,000 baht for a round trip. However, for low-cost carriers, the average price should not exceed 5,000 baht per flight. This amount of 5,000 baht was established as a formula in a calculation set by CAAT.

By Kittisak Phalaharn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-02-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

It's called supply and demand.

Simply amazing that someone in authority here is so clueless. And even thinks it's OK to fix prices.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand does not set ticket prices.

from the linked article...

Suriya reportedly asserted that fare reductions would be implemented before the Songkran Festival.

Obviously, he hasn't looked at domestic prices for Songkhran travel, where all low-price fare buckets are sold out already.

• Agree 2

Not sure why the focus is only Phuket Bangkok, for some reason, all flights and prices, since a few weeks, are insane expensive and limited, to the extent, i never seen. Just a few days ago, I could not even get a last minute (3 days) flight to BKK from CM, just to mention one thing.

I never ever had that issue before, I used to book even 6 hours before, for max 2.5K, and there would be 8 flights. Neither is it busy. You would almost think that a big thing is about to happen we don't know about yet.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Not sure why the focus is only Phuket Bangkok, for some reason, all flights and prices, since a few weeks, are insane expensive and limited, to the extent, i never seen. Just a few days ago, I could not even get a last minute (3 days) flight to BKK from CM, just to mention one thing.

I never ever had that issue before, I used to book even 6 hours before, for max 2.5K, and there would be 8 flights. Neither is it busy. You would almost think that a big thing is about to happen we don't know about yet.

What do you expect with this kind of orders: "Thai Airways International has entered into a deal to acquire a fleet of 45 Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft, plus an option on another 80, with the deal also offering the carrier a route to the new 777X."

Money has to come from somewhere.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I could not even get a last minute (3 days) flight to BKK from CM, just to mention one thing.

There are flights BKK-CNX available today, this afternoon and evening. 2,500 THB one way.

I think were off the ultra-peak fare period with the passing of CNY.

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand does not set ticket prices.

Yes and no.

CAAT regulates CEILING prices.

A better question is what is CAAT authority to assure compliance when prices exceed its ceiling prices? Seems none.

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

CAAT regulates CEILING prices.

https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/รายงานค่าโดยสารในประเทศไตรมาส-4-2565.pdf

https://www.thephuketnews.com/caat-reminds-of-fare-ceilings-as-bangkok-phuket-flights-remain-among-most-expensive-87728.php

https://www.thaiairways.com/en/Terms_condition/CAAT_Announcement.page?

No clue how often they adjust these?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Upon investigation, it was found that the flight tickets were roughly 10,000 baht for a round trip. However, for low-cost carriers, the average price should not exceed 5,000 baht per flight. This amount of 5,000 baht was established as a formula in a calculation set by CAAT.

Looks like BKK-HKT round trip ceiling is 18,148 in Y?

Although not sure if the list I used is current.

• Thanks 1