Arab States Are Giving Palestinians the Cold Shoulder. Here’s Why.

Social Media

image.png

The Complex Dynamics of Arab States and the Palestinian Question: Insights from Ryan Crocker

In the midst of escalating tensions between Israel and Hamas, the plight of Palestinians caught in the crossfire has once again come to the forefront of international attention. However, amid the calls for humanitarian aid and diplomatic solutions, a lesser-discussed aspect of the conflict has emerged: the response, or lack thereof, from Arab states.

Former U.S. Ambassador Ryan Crocker, renowned for his extensive diplomatic experience in the Arab world, offers invaluable insights into why Arab states have been hesitant to fully support Palestinians fleeing the violence.

At the heart of the issue lies a historical backdrop of complex geopolitical dynamics and shifting allegiances. Despite public declarations of solidarity with the Palestinian cause, Crocker highlights a longstanding undercurrent of "fear and loathing" among many Arab states towards Palestinians. This sentiment, he suggests, has deep roots dating back to pivotal moments such as the 1967 Six Day War and the subsequent emergence of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) as a formidable force.

Crocker's analysis sheds light on the pragmatic considerations driving Arab states' responses to the Palestinian crisis. While outwardly advocating for Palestinian rights, many Arab regimes have been wary of empowering Palestinian nationalist movements that could potentially destabilize their own territories. This delicate balancing act, characterized by rhetorical support but limited practical assistance, underscores the nuanced nature of Arab-Palestinian relations.

Moreover, Crocker offers a sobering assessment of the broader regional dynamics at play. He emphasizes the divergence between Arab rhetoric and action, citing instances where Arab governments actively worked against Palestinian interests to preserve their own security and stability. From Lebanon to Syria and beyond, the historical record reveals a pattern of Arab states prioritizing self-preservation over unwavering support for the Palestinian cause.

The current conflict in Gaza serves as a stark reminder of these entrenched realities. Despite calls for solidarity from the international community, Arab states have largely remained on the sidelines, with some even maintaining diplomatic ties with Israel. Crocker's analysis underscores the sobering reality that, for many Arab regimes, the Palestinian question remains a peripheral concern compared to their own strategic interests and regional ambitions.

As the world grapples with finding a path towards peace and stability in the Middle East, Crocker's insights serve as a timely reminder of the intricate web of alliances, rivalries, and historical grievances that shape the region's complex geopolitical landscape. In seeking solutions to the Palestinian crisis, policymakers would do well to heed his nuanced understanding of Arab states' attitudes and motivations, recognizing that lasting peace will require addressing not only the immediate humanitarian needs of Palestinians but also the underlying geopolitical realities that have long shaped their plight.

Source

image.png

• Like 1

'Hamas's hands are covered in Egypt's blood,' says Egyptian ex-MP

Tawfik Okasha, an Egyptian media personality and former MP, heavily criticized Hamas over their actions on October 7 and the consequences that followed in an interview with KAN News on Tuesday.

When commenting on the current war, as well as the October 7 massacre, Okasha said, "I mourn for every death on the Israeli side and every death on the Palestinian side, but I do not mourn Hamas personnel that have been killed because they are a terror organization that has profited from the Palestinian issue. They are an organization that turned Egypt into a no man's land, and its hands are covered in the blood of Egypt. I will not forget it."

https://www.jpost.com/international/article-785216

This article overlooks crucial aspects of the situation and places undue blame on Palestinians while downplaying the role of external factors, particularly the influence of the United States.

Palestinians are not solely responsible for the challenges they face. The historical backdrop of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, including the displacement of Palestinians, the occupation of their territories, and the denial of their basic rights, has fueled their struggle for self-determination. Any analysis of the Palestinian crisis must acknowledge the impact of these factors on the Palestinian people.

Moreover, the fear and hesitancy among Arab states to fully support Palestinians cannot be divorced from broader geopolitical considerations, including the influence of the United States. Arab states, particularly those in the Gulf region, have deep economic and strategic ties with the U.S., which often shape their foreign policy decisions. The fear of antagonizing Washington and jeopardizing these relationships has undoubtedly influenced Arab states' responses to the Palestinian crisis.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

This article overlooks crucial aspects of the situation and places undue blame on Palestinians while downplaying the role of external factors, particularly the influence of the United States.

Palestinians are not solely responsible for the challenges they face. The historical backdrop of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, including the displacement of Palestinians, the occupation of their territories, and the denial of their basic rights, has fueled their struggle for self-determination. Any analysis of the Palestinian crisis must acknowledge the impact of these factors on the Palestinian people.

Moreover, the fear and hesitancy among Arab states to fully support Palestinians cannot be divorced from broader geopolitical considerations, including the influence of the United States. Arab states, particularly those in the Gulf region, have deep economic and strategic ties with the U.S., which often shape their foreign policy decisions. The fear of antagonizing Washington and jeopardizing these relationships has undoubtedly influenced Arab states' responses to the Palestinian crisis.

Its an article not a 100k word count history book.

On 2/22/2024 at 8:12 AM, Neeranam said:

Should be pointed out that Crocker is Jewish. 

Not that it's relevant, except maybe to anti-Semites, but I haven't found any evidence that such is the case. There is an extensive interview here which goes into his family background.

https://adst.org/OH TOCs/Crocker, Chester Arthur.toc.pdf

It does make it seem unlikely that he's Jewish but doesn't definitively rule it out.

Care to share with us the source of your claim?

EDIT: This from the article linked to almost definitively rules out that Crocker is Jewish:

"My father, more than my mother, went to church on Sundays and made allusions, Biblical allusions and references were not uncommon in things that he would say, although they were very uncommon in things I might say."

Edited by placeholder

On 2/24/2024 at 10:53 AM, placeholder said:

Not that it's relevant, except maybe to anti-Semites, but I haven't found any evidence that such is the case. There is an extensive interview here which goes into his family background.

https://adst.org/OH TOCs/Crocker, Chester Arthur.toc.pdf

It does make it seem unlikely that he's Jewish but doesn't definitively rule it out.

Care to share with us the source of your claim?

EDIT: This from the article linked to almost definitively rules out that Crocker is Jewish:

"My father, more than my mother,I  went to church on Sundays and made allusions, Biblical allusions and references were not uncommon in things that he would say, although they were very uncommon in things I might say."

Must be on his mother's side. Not surprised he has kept it quiet with all the positions he has held. 

Do you know his daughter, Bathsheba? She's also a US diplomat. 

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Must be on his mother's side. Not surprised he has kept it quiet with all the positions he has held. 

Do you know his daughter, Bathsheba? She's also a US diplomat. 

As the article noted, Crocker said his mother attended church less frequently than his father. Not that she didn't attend at all. Not surprising that you would indulge in baseless antisemitic speculation.