Phuket El Al flight thwarts communication hijack attempt

webfact

I would imagine the (presumably)Israeli pilot's response to a dubious instruction to deviate his flightpath over Yemen or Syria would have been something like "far cough, Noddy".:coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Upon receiving aberrant instructions to veer off their planned route, the vigilant flight crew swiftly identified the looming threat. Refusing to comply with the suspicious directives, they swiftly transitioned to alternative communication channels, cross-verifying their intended route with other air traffic control services to steer clear of potential danger or diversion.

A new disturbing trend as to the levels that some people will go to force their view across.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

In related news, an unruly British man was arrested after his flight from Bangkok to London Heathrow landed following a cowardly attack on a Thai Airways member of staff.

Racking my brains to understand why this is related?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, retarius said:

Sounds like they can hack in like they were Air Traffic Control. 

There is no need to 'hack' in. All it takes is some person or country that is aware of the radio frequencies used in any area world wide, (and they are not secret), a radio transmitter with enough power and a a receiver and you can listen and talk to anybody in the world whose radio is open and tuned to the frequency you want to listen to.

All you need to do is to listen to the calls for a few days and you can work out who is on the other end. Indeed if you use (I think Flightradar24) with your computer you can track any civil flight worldwide 24/7.

Military flights are a bit harder to track, but given the right equipment there is no reason why they cannot be tracked also.