Party until dawn in lower Sukhumvit?

OneMoreFarang

6 hours ago, n00dle said:

Climax was in the underground parking of the Ambassador. 

Yes sorry, I get GP and Ambassador mixed up. I used to stay at Ambassador whenever I was in Bkk, but when they scrapped smoking rooms I switched to GP. 

4 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

I know this thread is meant to talk about partying until dawn in lower Sukhumvit at present, but now we've hijacked it to talk about that scene 20-30 years ago. But back then the late night scene went way beyond lower Sukhumvit. There was a number of great after hours discos in Patpong, there was the after hours scene in Silom Soi 4, and there were those places called Bossy and another one (can't remember the name) up by National Stadium (which I never visited). 

Jesus, there used to be Swing on Petburi somewhere, then Bossy, Spicy. Back in the day Sin on Nana, a <deleted> ton of place in the building at the mouth of Soi 1.

I remember a cop gave me his gun in some place on Petburi at about 4 am.  Drugs were involved

Back early early days (96ish) there was Silom Soi 4 with Deeper, (later DP 2000)  the first real techno club in town, closed due to overdose and the space never reopened. Tapas was also on SoI 4. Then later on there was funky dojo on Patpong. 

I have forgotten way more than I remember I suspect. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, n00dle said:

it started as a New york lounge style bar. The opening went off so hard they immediately upgraded the sound system and didn't look back. I was neighbors with a bunch of the staff a block away, and knew all the local DJs so it wasn't expensive at all.  Also they booked in some very very good international DJs.   

At that time it was managed by Dirty Disco Daryl. He brought in the acts. Then he moved on an opened up Mystique in Soi 31 as I mentioned. Mystique had Daryl's touch and had everything Q-Bar had and more. No stealth-hooker scene at Mystique either. 

1 hour ago, ABCDBKK said:

Was no shame in that. Who was going to judge you in a dark parking lot with people passed out at 5AM?

Yourself [apparently].

Edited by mokwit

1 minute ago, n00dle said:

Jesus, there used to be Swing on Petburi somewhere, then Bossy, Spicy. Back in the day Sin on Nana, a <deleted> ton of place in the building at the mouth of Soi 1.

I remember a cop gave me his gun in some place on Petburi at about 4 am.  Drugs were involved

Back early early days (96ish) there was Silom Soi 4 with Deeper, (later DP 2000)  the first real techno club in town, closed due to overdose and the space never reopened. Tapas was also on SoI 4. Then later on there was funky dojo on Patpong. 

I have forgotten way more than I remember I suspect. 

Yes, Spicy was the other one I couldn't remember. Never went there either. 

I remember the building at the mouth of Soi 1 with all the bars. Never spent time there. Wasn't an after hours scene though. 

There was the 2 upstairs after-hours discos on the pass through Soi between Foodland and the main Patpong Road. Can't remember the names. Both were a lot of fun. They going at around 2AM.

There was also a great bar with dance floor ground floor on Patpong Road itself. I guess it was considered a disco. Big local expat hangout. Can't remember the name. 

A bit more obscure, but on Petchaburi there was another after hours coffee shop in a hotel called the Siam Hotel. Was more of a local scene with lots of girls eating and drinking after finishing work in the soapy places. It was a carbon copy of Thermae though without the foreigners. 

And there was the coffee shop in the Rex Hotel further up Sukhumvit. 

38 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

Although a bit further up Sukhumvit, Mystique (run by Dirty Disco Daryl) was a much better venue than Q Bar for that kind of real club scene. Club music on the ground floor, DJs on the second floor, and a chillout lounge on the 3rd floor. It was kind of like how Peppermint Lounge in Manhattan was in the eighties with multiple floors and multiple vibes. 

i loved daryl. in the run up to mystique on Buddhist no booze holidays he had these massive parties in I's penthouse, first to take all of our photos and then give us our mystique VIP cards,

Shame they built it on the other side of the wall less than the requisite 500 meters (or whatever) from the university's demonstration primary school,. 

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Yourself.

Nope, I didn't judge anything except the chances of the guys getting home safely who were passed out in a puddle of their own urine and vomit in the parking lot behind Thermae. 🤮🤢🤦🏻‍♂️😂

• Haha 1

i loved daryl. in the run up to mystique on Buddhist no booze holidays he had these massive parties in I's penthouse, first to take all of our photos and then give us our mystique VIP cards,

Shame they built it on the other side of the wall less than the requisite 500 meters (or whatever) from the university's demonstration primary school,. 

I had a Mystique card. It was great to have.

My understanding was that it was the noise complaints from influential people living in the adjacent condo block that eventually got them shut down. He had built the building with proper sound proofing, so there was very little sound outside, but the condo owners didn't like it being there anyway. 

8 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

I remember the building at the mouth of Soi 1 with all the bars. Never spent time there. Wasn't an after hours scene though. 

I believe it was on the roof.

1 minute ago, ABCDBKK said:

I had a Mystique card. It was great to have.

My understanding was that it was the noise complaints from influential people living in the adjacent condo block that eventually got them shut down. He had built the building with proper sound proofing, so there was very little sound outside, but the condo owners didn't like it being there anyway. 

Of course it was, but the school on the university grounds just the other side of the wall sealed the deal. 

Edited by n00dle

11 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

Yes, Spicy was the other one I couldn't remember. Never went there either. 

There was the 2 upstairs after-hours discos on the pass through Soi between Foodland and the main Patpong Road. Can't remember the names. Both were a lot of fun. They going at around 2AM.

There was also a great bar with dance floor ground floor on Patpong Road itself. I guess it was considered a disco. Big local expat hangout. Can't remember the name. 

A bit more obscure, but on Petchaburi there was another after hours coffee shop in a hotel called the Siam Hotel. Was more of a local scene with lots of girls eating and drinking after finishing work in the soapy places. It was a carbon copy of Thermae though without the foreigners. 

And there was the coffee shop in the Rex Hotel further up Sukhumvit. 

Thinking back to Patpong and remembering a bit more now, the two upstairs discos might have been called Kings Lounge and Kings Corner. And the popular disco on Patpong Road itself I was thinking of might have been called Hollywood. And then there was Lucifers!

8 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

Thinking back to Patpong and remembering a bit more now, the two upstairs discos might have been called Kings Lounge and Kings Corner. And the popular disco on Patpong Road itself I was thinking of might have been called Hollywood. And then there was Lucifers!

Jesus, Lucifer forgot that.  Kings Lounge and Kings Corner and Hollywood mean nothing to me. Funky Dojo fronted onto one of the cross streets between main Patpong sois, it was another of Daryls ventures I believe.

It was great to listen to excellent house  and people watch. 

2 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Jesus, Lucifer forgot that.  Kings Lounge and Kings Corner and Hollywood mean nothing to me. Funky Dojo fronted onto one of the cross streets between main Patpong sois, it was another of Daryls ventures I believe.

It was great to listen to excellent house  and people watch. 

Kings Lounge, Kings Corner and Hollywood were big from the late eighties until the mid to late nineties I believe. 

The name Funky Dojo rings a bell and I do vaguely recall Daryl doing something in Patpong, but can't remember it so well. I do remember a big corner bar on the other Patpong cross through Soi which had live acts on the ground floor and was a big, open air place. This must have been late nineties or early two thousands. 

Daryl also opened another club in Soi 11 after Mystique closed. Can't remember the name and it's called something else now. It had 2-3 floors too, an elevator, and a midget who ran the elevator. 

3 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

Daryl also opened another club in Soi 11 after Mystique closed. Can't remember the name and it's called something else now. It had 2-3 floors too, an elevator, and a midget who ran the elevator. 

It did burlesque/cabaret dance numbers it was mad. I remember slutty nuns. can't remember the name tho. After that it became Marshmallow, now Hillary 

On 2/22/2024 at 9:23 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's some time ago that I was out until 1am or longer. Getting old and all that.

I live in lower Sukhumvit and sometimes I am out at 6:30 in the morning and I see lots of people who look like they just stopped partying. 

What bars, clubs or whatever are open until dawn in that area?

I don't want to go there at 4am, I am just interested in what is going on. 

There was the firetrap absolute craphole opposite Spicy club that was apparently owned by the cops. I think it was called Swing. Is that craphole still around?

I guess this thread shows the age of many members here. Many of us remember the good old times from 20 or more years ago. But few of us know what is currently happening late at night...

One of my first activities on the internet in about 1994 was to read the newsgroup about Bangkok. One person asked about Thermae and what's going on there. One guy answered like this: You can't really compare it with anything. But if you want to compare it to something then think about the bar in StarWars (obviously the original movie). Thats the closest comparison that fits.

I agree. Those were the times.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/22/2024 at 9:23 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's some time ago that I was out until 1am or longer. Getting old and all that.

I live in lower Sukhumvit and sometimes I am out at 6:30 in the morning and I see lots of people who look like they just stopped partying. 

What bars, clubs or whatever are open until dawn in that area?

I don't want to go there at 4am, I am just interested in what is going on. 

It's probably all those cocktail cars on the footpaths on lower Sukhukvit. Once the clubs close, those still are open.

It did burlesque/cabaret dance numbers it was mad. I remember slutty nuns. can't remember the name tho. After that it became Marshmallow, now Hillary 

Was Daryl's club in Soi 11 called the Sugar Club or Twisted Republic perhaps?

And I think it was around the same time that The Ministry of Sound closed down in Soi 12. 

Lastly, there was a disco in the basement of the Novotel Hotel in Siam Square that stayed open quite late too. CM2 I think it was called. Not a lot of fun though I recall. 

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess this thread shows the age of many members here. Many of us remember the good old times from 20 or more years ago. But few of us know what is currently happening late at night...

One of my first activities on the internet in about 1994 was to read the newsgroup about Bangkok. One person asked about Thermae and what's going on there. One guy answered like this: You can't really compare it with anything. But if you want to compare it to something then think about the bar in StarWars (obviously the original movie). Thats the closest comparison that fits.

I agree. Those were the times.

Indeed age is showing. But what's happening in Sukhumvit now isn't very inspiring and if it was like that 20-30 years ago I don't think I would have been interested in it then either. Don't think it's just age. Places change and time changes things even more. 

Back in the day it was the weekly Stickman blog and the Sunday Trink page for all your nightlife updates. But frankly I don't give a hoot! 🦉 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I'm not in BKK for quite a number of years already but ask me about the clubs in Pattaya in the past year and I've got you covered on where to go.

21 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I think Hillary might be at the end of Soi 11, past Levels and on the corner by the turn. 

Daryl's place was located at 37 Soi 11. TBH, I think it's still called Sugar Club and that was what he had also named it. From the interior photos it basically looks the same as before. It could actually still be the same name and interior. Just different management: 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RbY5SAf7eBLuUZZE9?g_st=ic

23 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

I think Hillary might be at the end of Soi 11, past Levels and on the corner by the turn. 

Daryl's place was located at 37 Soi 11. TBH, I think it's still called Sugar Club and that was what he had also named it. From the interior photos it basically looks the same as before. It could actually still be the same name and interior. Just different management: 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RbY5SAf7eBLuUZZE9?g_st=ic

I was wrong. It was called "Bash" when Daryl Scott opened it in the early 2000s at 37 Soi 11. And now it's called Sugar Club in that same space. 

He also had a club called Superfly on the corner of Saladaeng Soi 1 for a while. 

2 hours ago, ABCDBKK said:

I'm telling you, he opened a burlesque/cabaret show in what is now Hillary on that corner. I actually met him there while he was building it and went to the opening. As I said, slutty dancing nuns.

I did not know sugar was his doing as well. 

1 hour ago, ABCDBKK said:

I was wrong. It was called "Bash" when Daryl Scott opened it in the early 2000s at 37 Soi 11. And now it's called Sugar Club in that same space. 

He also had a club called Superfly on the corner of Saladaeng Soi 1 for a while. 

And a Mexican place on or near Khao San, I never went. Now you mention it remember bash. Guy was busy for someone off his tits every night

2 hours ago, ABCDBKK said:

don't think I would have been interested in it then either. Don't think it's just age.

I agree.

There was excitement around the house music scene in the 2000s. So many talented djs both working locally and passing through. 

3 hours ago, ABCDBKK said:

Jesus I just remembered The Tunnel on langsuan, or was it wittayu. That place was short lived but epic as well. Alot of the visiting djs would do the after parties there.

There was also chi, bed moved and painted gold, but I don't think that opened for more than 2 or three nights.

Sure wish I could remember the name of the cabaret as well.