Party until dawn in lower Sukhumvit?

OneMoreFarang

26 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I'm telling you, he opened a burlesque/cabaret show in what is now Hillary on that corner. I actually met him there while he was building it and went to the opening. As I said, slutty dancing nuns.

I did not know sugar was his doing as well. 

I believe you. My memory is just fuzzy now. He did a lot of projects. Hard to remember them all. I wonder what that place of his was called. 

Guy was busy for someone off his tits every night

He once said his family had been the ones who started up and ran Studio 54 in NYC and that was his entrance into the industry. 

I agree.

There was excitement around the house music scene in the 2000s. So many talented djs both working locally and passing through. 

Yes, Mystique, Q Bar, Ministry Of Sound and a few other places here and there around Bangkok. In Samui too. A close friend was a big international DJ at the time and he played them all and others around Asia, Bali, etc It was a thing and a time and place. 

21 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Jesus I just remembered The Tunnel on langsuan, or was it wittayu. That place was short lived but epic as well. Alot of the visiting djs would do the after parties there.

There was also chi, bed moved and painted gold, but I don't think that opened for more than 2 or three nights.

Sure wish I could remember the name of the cabaret as well.

Ah, yes, The Tunnel, another one of Daryl's gigs. I went once. Big place. Langsuan. Purely after hours if I recall correctly. No sign outside. Hidden door behind a black curtain with two guards in front.

Daryl's tunnel was themed after the original "The Tunnel" in NYC located in the meat packing district (Chelsea). It operated from the late 1980s until the early 2000s. That was a very cool place. Went once. 

I think Chi was the Bed spaceship moved over onto Soi 13. Never went. Didn't realize it was that short lived. I wonder why? I know it didn't last long though. 

19 minutes ago, HugoFastor said:

How long were these clubs like Mystique, Bash, The Tunnel, Chi, Funky Dojo, and Superfly open for? Were any of them around for more than 1-2 years?

No, I don't think so, though admittedly, memories are hazy.  

Chi is for sure the shortest lived. It only opened a few random nights after its grand opening.  

On 2/23/2024 at 6:55 PM, AgMech Cowboy said:

Brother Farang, I can remember 15 yrs ago, partying hard on Soi 4, then the disco in the hotel or off the "coffee shop" Thermae. Shack up with a 'sweet thang' for a couple of hours and be heading over to the Nana Cafe to eat breakfast at about that time of morning. I even ran into a couple 'friends' there one morning. I haven't been down there in over 7 years; although, we drove down soi 4 at about 9:30 this past Wednesday and sighted a couple of 'thang' who looked like they were headed home.

Good luck in you quest. I just don't have the desire anymore...

I could have written that myself. We probably were in the same bars at the same time back them. Today? No thanks. The noise, the crazy foreigners... But I think back then it was easy to meet some young office girl going for a night out. Today, it is all professional mercenaries. Money makers. Those good old days are gone.  But I do remember the great frustration because of girls always wanting a bite to eat on the street until the sun comes up. 

On 2/23/2024 at 8:05 PM, CG1 Blue said:

I loved the Nana hotel disco. Once that closed down the late night crowd went to the disco adjoining the Grand President in Soi 11 (Climax?). Was never as good. Climax closed down - another victim of the Covid lockdowns. 

Climax closed before Covid. Apparently the hotel (Ambassador) thought they could do better with a convention center instead of the club. I hear rumors they might be building another club there but not sure. Climax was part of the Hillary group so some of the previous clientele can be found in Hillary on soi 4 or soi 11. The new Nana club (I think that's actually the name) is owned by Indian(s) so probably geared towards them, though I'm sure it gets random tourists as well.

Levels and Sugar do not stay open late. Some of the bars on soi 11 and soi 8, and all the street bars probably do stay open late. Mixx in intercontinental hotel is technically in Ratchada which is one of the zones where clubs can stay open until 4am legally. There's another bar in the area that stays open later.

I miss Climax.. aside from being chock full of, uh, talent.. it was also a 30 seconds walk from my condo at the time. Levels and Sugar seemed so far... :cheesy:

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2024 at 2:06 PM, bbi1 said:

There was the firetrap absolute craphole opposite Spicy club that was apparently owned by the cops. I think it was called Swing. Is that craphole still around?

At some point (maybe 2017-2018?) Swing moved to Lumphini-Wang Mai area (don't remember exact location but I remember taking taxis going in that direction). Was big and lots of people even very late. Operated for a couple of years and closed (police raid if I remember correctly). Then Covid happened, and in 2022 they tried opening another location near soi ratchadamri 2 where Superrich is, but the place was tiny and usually empty - nothing like the big clubs they ran before. We went a few times to give it a chance, and ditched it for another bar nearby that was and still is the go-to spot for afterhours. Less drugs there too. I don't know if that place on Ratchadamri still exists, but probably not.

6 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

At some point (maybe 2017-2018?) Swing moved to Lumphini-Wang Mai area (don't remember exact location but I remember taking taxis going in that direction). Was big and lots of people even very late. Operated for a couple of years and closed (police raid if I remember correctly). Then Covid happened, and in 2022 they tried opening another location near soi ratchadamri 2 where Superrich is, but the place was tiny and usually empty - nothing like the big clubs they ran before. We went a few times to give it a chance, and ditched it for another bar nearby that was and still is the go-to spot for afterhours. Less drugs there too. I don't know if that place on Ratchadamri still exists, but probably not.

Didn't the cops own Swing? They raided their own establishment?

Recently I was riding through the end of Soi 11 just before 6am. Surprisingly the neon lights of Hillary 11 were still on.

Interesting.

I always thought they switch off the outside lights for the extended opening hours. 

2 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Climax closed before Covid. Apparently the hotel (Ambassador) thought they could do better with a convention center instead of the club. I hear rumors they might be building another club there but not sure. Climax was part of the Hillary group so some of the previous clientele can be found in Hillary on soi 4 or soi 11. The new Nana club (I think that's actually the name) is owned by Indian(s) so probably geared towards them, though I'm sure it gets random tourists as well.

Levels and Sugar do not stay open late. Some of the bars on soi 11 and soi 8, and all the street bars probably do stay open late. Mixx in intercontinental hotel is technically in Ratchada which is one of the zones where clubs can stay open until 4am legally. There's another bar in the area that stays open later.

I miss Climax.. aside from being chock full of, uh, talent.. it was also a 30 seconds walk from my condo at the time. Levels and Sugar seemed so far... :cheesy:

I go to Hillary on Soi 4 occasionally. Always rammed (sometimes too much) and good party atmosphere. The Hillary on Soi 11 seems much more sedate. Unless I've never seen it at their busy time 🤷‍♂️

23 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Didn't the cops own Swing? They raided their own establishment?

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2017/07/12/25-test-positive-drugs-raid-secret-bangkok-bar/

I guess it happened in 2017, I thought it was later than that. I used to go there a lot but "missed" this specific raid.

17 minutes ago, Jasun said:

Diva - was cabaret club on soi 11. 

Thank you for plugging in that morsel of missing information. I had been digging through my memory, trying to come up with the name, but unsuccessfully.

I found an interesting article covering some of the clubs that have shut down. A bit of an interesting walk down memory lane:

https://bk.asia-city.com/nightlife/article/history-clubbing-bangkok

I'm surprised none of Dirty Disco Darrel's bar were mentioned in the above retrospective. Not even Mystique. Maybe none of them lasted long enough though to make the list.