Ophthalmologist or qualified Eye person who speaks English for new Glasses

rexpotter

Please help

does anyone know of any eyeglass shop around northern Pattaya area or Bang Lamung, Hospital or whatever, have wasted an enormous amount of time gong from one place to the other.

'Do you speak English? A little Bit..Clueless.

please help

Google translate is great. You can even have a verbal conversation on it.

Some people are a little stage shy though, when I whip out the phone they start understanding what needs to be done quickly.

Edited by JimTripper

Ophthalmologists only work in hospitals and deal mainly with diseases of the eye and the internals of the eye. Ophthalmologists are licensed MD's who have additional speciality training.

Optometrist's are trained (4 years) to determine eye glass prescriptions but there is a shortage in Thailand, you will be lucky to find a licensed optometrist but you can try.  Most sales people who work in eye glass shops are neither optometrists or ophthalmologists but instead understand how to use various pieces of technology to estimate prescription lens strengths. If you go to a hospital to see an Ophthalmologist and ask them to give you a new prescription, they may well refer you on to an optometrist!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Ophthalmologists only work in hospitals and deal mainly with diseases of the eye and the internals of the eye. Ophthalmologists are licensed MD's who have additional speciality training.

Optometrist's are trained (4 years) to determine eye glass prescriptions but there is a shortage in Thailand, you will be lucky to find a licensed optometrist but you can try.  Most sales people who work in eye glass shops are neither optometrists or ophthalmologists but instead understand how to use various pieces of technology to estimate prescription lens strengths. If you go to a hospital to see an Ophthalmologist and ask them to give you a new prescription, they may well refer you on to an optometrist!

Thanks, but I need to find one. Like the name of a Doctor, or specific place that can help me.

• Like 1

Pattaya optical.. better call before and ask when the boss will be there..he is excellent (even employees are good,).. usually comes after 11 AM

Excellent job at reasonable price

Have a good day

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, domdom said:

Pattaya optical.. better call before and ask when the boss will be there..he is excellent (even employees are good,).. usually comes after 11 AM

Excellent job at reasonable price

Have a good day

Does he do just eye examinations (like UK optician) or only if you buy glasses?

On 2/28/2024 at 9:24 AM, rexpotter said:

Thanks, but I need to find one. Like the name of a Doctor, or specific place that can help me.

Try to understand what is being explained to you.

A Doctor (Ophthalmologist) will not make your glasses. It's the same as expecting an architect to lay the bricks in your house.

You need to go to an Optometrist shop to get your eyes tested and glasses made. There must be plenty of shops with English speaking staff in Pattaya.  How well trained is anyone's guess.

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Go to Bangkok Hospital if you need more help than just an eye test. (English speakers abound)

They can also make glasses for you or just give you the prescription te get made elsewhere

I had my cateacts a few months back at Bangkok Jomtien, neither Pattaya Bangkok or Jomtien do eye tests, I had to go to an optometrist.

• Confused 1

On 2/28/2024 at 8:43 AM, rexpotter said:

Please help

does anyone know of any eyeglass shop around northern Pattaya area or Bang Lamung, Hospital or whatever, have wasted an enormous amount of time gong from one place to the other.

please help

Try an international hospital ... I'm pretty sure there's a Bangkok Hospital, in Chonburi.

Alternatively, a major shopping mall will quite likely have an optician/opthalmologist, with a sufficient grasp of English to help you.

2 minutes ago, JohnAllan said:

Try an international hospital ... I'm pretty sure there's a Bangkok Hospital, in Chonburi.

Alternatively, a major shopping mall will quite likely have an optician/opthalmologist, with a sufficient grasp of English to help you.

Euro Optics in Royal Garden Plaza the lady speaks very good English, she is an optometrist.

• Agree 1

On 2/28/2024 at 8:43 AM, rexpotter said:

Please help

please help

Just a thought, you could go to an imternational & get them to test your eyes for what glasses you would need, then take to a shop using that info. Yes doctors fee might be 2000b & they speak english.

13 minutes ago, helloagain said:

Just a thought, you could go to an imternational & get them to test your eyes for what glasses you would need, then take to a shop using that info. Yes doctors fee might be 2000b & they speak english.

Do they employ Optometrists, Bangkok Pattaya nor Bangkok Jomtien do.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:08 PM, natway09 said:

Go to Bangkok Hospital if you need more help than just an eye test. (English speakers abound)

They can also make glasses for you or just give you the prescription te get made elsewhere

Looks like I will have to do this. Impossible at these small Chaeron sexy girl places.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:03 AM, Old Croc said:

Try to understand what is being explained to you.

A Doctor (Ophthalmologist) will not make your glasses. It's the same as expecting an architect to lay the bricks in your house.

You need to go to an Optometrist shop to get your eyes tested and glasses made. There must be plenty of shops with English speaking staff in Pattaya.  How well trained is anyone's guess.

This is true, so I need the latter. But trust me, there are not plenty of shops that can do this. I'm shocked really. Just returned form years away and the English level of the avg person seems to have decreased.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:08 PM, natway09 said:

Ya...will have to.

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Do they employ Optometrists, Bangkok Pattaya nor Bangkok Jomtien do.

I meant say they don’t, I had cataracts done at Bangkok Jomtien, I had to go to an independent optometrist to get prescription glasses.