Thailand Plans Year-End Ban on Recreational Cannabis

webfact

On 3/2/2024 at 1:09 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes buying online is much cheaper. 

But if flower with thc is illegal again I don't see how that can be shipped anymore by Thai Post or Flash which most use.

I can see that working for local area direct deliveries though.

But they are not taking about making flower with thc an illegal class 5 narcotic again. They are only proposing that the law state it can only be acquired for medical use and with proof of a medical use need to be presented by buyers. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 3:45 PM, Peabody said:

How about the thousands (tens, hundreds of thousands?) of registered growers? Plook Ganja app. Could they use that database as a starting point for a police crackdown? Or those that accepted government-grown plants in the beginning days?

If flowers are not classified back into a criminal class 5 narcotic, then it wouldn't make any sense to do that. Growers aren't the ones they are trying to stop here either. It's all those retail cannabis shops in the tourist districts with people overtly smoking indoors and outdoors in plain sight for pure recreation that they want to get rid of. Any they also want users in general to be using it for medical use at home and not for recreation. It is the end user that is the target here. Not the growers. 

On 3/1/2024 at 12:45 PM, Grandpa Cool said:

And just in case you aren't aware, Germany announced yesterday that it is legalising recreational cannabis.

Perhaps this is a chance for the Thailand government to modernise it's outlook and align it's laws with Germany's cannabis legislation structure.

Only legalised for home consumption. Not for cannabis 'clinics'.

29 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

Only legalised for home consumption. Not for cannabis 'clinics'.

The new legislation removes cannabis from the schedule of the Narcotics Act (BtMG). It allows individuals to possess up to 25 grams in public and 50 grams at home. Additionally, it allows the cultivation of up to three plants per person at home and establishes cannabis social clubs, which will have up to 500 members, from which individuals can obtain up to 50 grams per month.

The law (named Cannabis Act or CanG) will come into effect on April 1 for possession and cultivation, while the cannabis social clubs are anticipated to become operational starting from July 1.

With this move, Germany becomes the third European Union member state, after Malta and Luxembourg, to legalize recreational cannabis for personal use. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HugoFastor said:

But they are not taking about making flower with thc an illegal class 5 narcotic again. They are only proposing that the law state it can only be acquired for medical use and with proof of a medical use need to be presented by buyers. 

I am not sure that you're correct about that. I have read differently. But even so, it's clear they won't want online sales to happen as they do now.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I am not sure that you're correct about that. I have read differently. But even so, it's clear they won't want online sales to happen as they do now.

Online sales are technically illegal, even now. Cannabis is only supposed to be sold by vendors who can personally verify the legal age of the buyer. But whether the post office decides to ever try to stop postal delivery of cannabis remains to be seen.

It would be a tricky thing for the post office to monitor, even if the law were to require a medical certificate to purchase cannabis. The majority of people shipping cannabis through the post office now are licensed cannabis vendors. So they are legal sellers. And how would the post office know whether the recipient of the cannabis is going to use it for medical or personal use? It seems like a very difficult thing for the Post Office to get involved with. In fact, you can legally ship any other medicine you want through the post too, as long as it's not classified as a controlled substance. And then if it is a controlled substance, but sent by a hospital or a doctor, then that is also OK. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HugoFastor said:

Online sales are technically illegal, even now. Cannabis is only supposed to be sold by vendors who can personally verify the legal age of the buyer. But whether the post office decides to ever try to stop postal delivery of cannabis remains to be seen.

It would be a tricky thing for the post office to monitor, even if the law were to require a medical certificate to purchase cannabis. The majority of people shipping cannabis through the post office now are licensed cannabis vendors. So they are legal sellers. And how would the post office know whether the recipient of the cannabis is going to use it for medical or personal use? It seems like a very difficult thing for the Post Office to get involved with. In fact, you can legally ship any other medicine you want through the post too, as long as it's not classified as a controlled substance. And then if it is a controlled substance, but sent by a hospital or a doctor, then that is also OK. 

We're expats here. 

Not only don't we want to be arrested but we don't want to deported and blacklisted either.

I consider buying THC flowers online now no risk to us.

Extracts with THC and edibles you would think would be a risk to receive seem to be no risk as well.

At the end of the year, I really don't know and nobody else does either.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 3:30 PM, bbi1 said:

They should've banned that from the 1st Jan 2024, not the end of the years. Too many waankers smoking that shiit in the condo balconies in Pattaya in my building, and that shiit blows everywhere into my room and stinks up my room. Good thing though is the juristic office doesn't stand for that shiit and report those waankers and they get fined. Too many Air BnB type waankers think they can do whatever they want without respect to others in the building.

I tend to close my windows if its smelly outside.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

We're expats here. 

Not only don't we want to be arrested but we don't want to deported and blacklisted either.

I consider buying THC flowers online now no risk to us.

Extracts with THC and edibles you would think would be a risk to receive seem to be no risk as well.

At the end of the year, I really don't know and nobody else does either.

Agreed. Things might change, but more likely they won't. We will just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

One of the main reasons that Germany just legalized recreational cannabis use is because 50% of the German population, between the ages of 15 and 40, already use cannabis, either on occasion or regularly. At the moment, there are over 200,000 open legal cases in the German courts against German people using cannabis recreationally.

It has become a complete law enforcement and judicial nightmare for Germany by consuming lots of tax money and extensive government resources to try to control. So they came to the realization that making it legal was better than trying to stop something that is impossible to stop.

With 10 million people in Thailand already using cannabis now, hopefully the government will come to the same understanding and stop trying to stop something that can't be stopped and move onto focusing on the bigger and more dangerous issues facing the country. 

• Agree 2

I think probably you'll see stricter rules regarding licenses, so you can't get tin pot foreigners just opening up shops on  a Thai mates name. License's will become more expensive - the gov't will want a cut of that billion. Furthermore tougher penalties for misuse etc, advertising and what not. 

On 3/1/2024 at 11:17 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

His opinion, or was a study conducted to this effect?

No need to answer, it is a rhetorical question. 

Indeed. He's worried about then children, but they've been smoking weed (and meth) forever and will continue to do so. They're not the ones entering the tourist weed shops and spending 300 - 1000 for a gram. The tourists are - that's where the 1.2 Billion is coming from since it's the legal and reported (and taxed) part of weed in the country. Are they really going to cut 40 Billi9n THB from the economy? Madness

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Indeed. He's worried about then children, but they've been smoking weed (and meth) forever and will continue to do so. They're not the ones entering the tourist weed shops and spending 300 - 1000 for a gram. The tourists are - that's where the 1.2 Billion is coming from since it's the legal and reported (and taxed) part of weed in the country. Are they really going to cut 40 Billi9n THB from the economy? Madness

I saw an extremely rare weed shop on soi 6 recently....it had a customer!

On 3/2/2024 at 4:53 PM, bbi1 said:

No, because that shiit stinks badly. And the juristic office staff agrees with it that smoking weed on the balconies or in rooms "is very bad", to quote their words.

So then I assume that Condos would have notices stating that smoking on balconies did not include weed?

Weed vaporizers generate almost zero odour and would overcome the smell problem you describe if they were legally available in Thailand - which they are not. They are also far preferable to smoking for health purposes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SABloke said:

There are plenty of weed shops which are well outside and beyond tourist areas - for instance, Rangsit in Bangkok has many shops but no tourists. Tourists are certainly not the only people in Thailand buying weed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spock said:

So then I assume that Condos would have notices stating that smoking on balconies did not include weed?

Weed vaporizers generate almost zero odour and would overcome the smell problem you describe if they were legally available in Thailand - which they are not. They are also far preferable to smoking for health purposes.

Dry herb vaporizers are available and legal in Thailand.

It is forbiden to smoke anything in a condo except in the designated areas by law, including weed.

On 3/4/2024 at 10:28 PM, thaichina said:

Dry herb vaporizers are available and legal in Thailand.

It is forbiden to smoke anything in a condo except in the designated areas by law, including weed.

Really? The only one I had heard was available was the Dynavap.