Thailand Plans Year-End Ban on Recreational Cannabis

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

“The detrimental effects of cannabis misuse on Thai children are concerning," he emphasized.

Possibly, so stop children getting their hands on it with effective law enforcement, not ban it for all. Get the police to do their job! 

Poor schooling and filthy air through burning has far more detrimental effects on children.

Regardless, banning it WILL NOT STOP kids getting they’re hands on it. I haven’t smoked for months, but choice is nice to have. Regressive dinosaurs, like in my own country. The only effective hub Thailand is is the hub of flip flops. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

To all of you falang pots !

I think the conservative Thais dont

want your mind altering substances anywhere 

near 

their undereducated children .

Recreational( another word created  in the pot culture)is such a misconception! 

me thinks 

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 5
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is an enormous betrayal of the people, and the billions they have invested in the industry. It makes Thailand appear to be regressive, purile, backwards, fearful, over bearing and horribly misguided. 

It would appear Sretta has chosen from the absolute bottom of the barrel, and the administration is comprised of some of the dimmest people available, anywhere in the country. He is a dismal failure as PM, to date. 

Indeed. Buffoonery of the highest order and on multiple levels. And a totally unelected government, just like the previous one. But it's been the status quo in one way or another for decades. Most developing countries in the world are no different. Cronyism, nepotism and personal self interests over the needs of the people. The way of the world.

But whenever the situation gets you down just listen to the song "Swamp" by The Talking Heads. You'll be right as rain in no time. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, HugoFastor said:

Freezer burn occurs when things kept in the freezer are exposed to air entering the freezer, thus causing moisture to evaporate. This dehydration results in overly dry, discolored patches on the surface. It can occur from opening and closing the freezer door frequently. It's not a huge risk, and vacuum bags help to prevent this, but in Thailand, where the ambient temperature is so hot, I just wouldn't risk it.

And really there is no need for the freezer. The fridge is already a really good method to keep the weed from aging once you have the weed sealed in two layers of vacuum bags with all the air inside the bags removed.

The biggest risk to weed is mold and fungus which is present in the air. But once in a vacuum bag that is removed from the equation.

Then the fridge protects it from the heat in Thailand, the heat being the other factor that causes weed to degrade over time.

With air and heat removed by using vacuum bags, and then placed in the fridge, weed can stay as fresh as the day you vacuum bagged it for a very long time. At least 2-3 years. 

Interesting - thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, HugoFastor said:

There are 10 million local cannabis users in Thailand at present. That's 1 in 7 people. What planet are you on?

The part of the planet that has a interest in children’s well being!

The planet of ,The detrimental effects of cannabis misuse on Thai children .

I also have a concern for future children in the womb too. but thats another crisis 

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 1

I think the lawmakers are out of touch with reality. People use cannabis for medicine and recreationally because they like it. It is quite appealing to be able to use cannabis in the privacy of your room and then go and hang out at the beach, etc. Tourists like this and to think that the restrictions on cannabis will not affect tourism is a prime example of taking something you believe and then converting it into facts simply because you have thick skin and power. 

At the risk of continuing a tiresome argument comparing alcohol and cannabis, all the criticisms lodged against the dangers of cannabis can easily be applied to alcohol. However, it is doubtful alcohol has any real health benefits.

So here we go again, the uncles in the military and government have decided cannabis is no good so the public is forced to comply. This seems to be one more iteration in a process that covers most legislation, mandate, edict or whatever the word of the week is.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

They should've banned that from the 1st Jan 2024, not the end of the years. Too many waankers smoking that shiit in the condo balconies in Pattaya in my building, and that shiit blows everywhere into my room and stinks up my room. Good thing though is the juristic office doesn't stand for that shiit and report those waankers and they get fined. Too many Air BnB type waankers think they can do whatever they want without respect to others in the building.

If smoking is already permitted on the balconies of the condos, surely weed would also be permissible?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JimboB4 said:

Oh when will TVF get their facts straight. Some of what they mentioned is already in place and they wrote multiple other misinformation. 

And when will posters stop referring to it as TVF.......it is AN now you know

And Twitter is X, Transferwise is Wise.  And Richie Sunak is PM of UK, not Liz Trussed. 555

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

To the "nothing's gonna change" crowd...

There's gonna be a whole lot of incentive for medicinal shops to be snitching on anyone making recreational use sales. That means recreational sales will move out of retail store fronts and into back alley / street corner sales. Foreigners won't be able to compete in the illicit recreational cannabis trade. Too high profile. The big money in recreational sales came from the tourist trade, didn't it?

If you're making medicinal sales, the shop's gonna be required to show prescription records to match sales. That's the kind of gumshoe police work Thai cops thrive on. Again, medicinal shop #1 sees medicinal shop #2 getting 10 times the foot traffic than their shop, there's a big incentive to snitch. Thais are snitch kings. Especially if the person being snitched on is a foreigner. I don't think this is gonna be a wink and a nod situation.

All the big dispensaries in Phuket have a doctor for the prescriptions on staff.

The question is, how stringent is it controlled, that those receiving the prescription have the necessary ailments? Will foreign prescriptions be allowed to be able to access the tourist market?

So far I have seen no list of illnesses that this new medicinal cannabis is supposed to be for. As always, everything is hearsay and prending a complete u-turn.

This is where I see the grey area and the brown envelopes.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The landscape now boasts an abundance of tens of thousands of cannabis outlets, with industry projections soaring to a monumental $1.2 billion valuation by the upcoming fiscal year.

In my normal daily routines, I pass many of these outlets. Rarely do I see any customers at all, at any time of day or night.

I fail to see how there can be any return on investment, at the prices hawked, or at any price.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

All the big dispensaries in Phuket have a doctor for the prescriptions on staff.

By Thai Law all pharmacies MUST have a qualified Pharmacist on the premises to sell most of their medicines.

You often see a sign, often at lunch time etc saying that they cannot sell medicines as the Pharmacist is not on the premises!

Drug stores now required to always have a pharmacist on duty - Thailand News - Thailand News, Travel & Forum - ASEAN NOW

14 minutes ago, Grusa said:

In my normal daily routines, I pass many of these outlets. Rarely do I see any customers at all, at any time of day or night.

I fail to see how there can be any return on investment, at the prices hawked, or at any price.

Try the back/side door and see how many are actually inside. The front is exactly that, just a front for all the sh!t going on in the the back rooms!

Edited by scottiejohn

Will be thoroughly reviewed by the cabinet before implementation! Hold on am I missing something ? Isn't one of the current cabinet namely the Deputy Prime Minister responsible for the whole debacle of decriminalizing weed in the first place… after he encouraged investors is he going to be held liable 

Nothing else to do but go online & order up more Strawberry Gorilla & Woodinville Wafflestomper. Bag it, tag it, toss in the back of the freezer box. Build up a serious stash. 

That Wafflestomper is a monster you know. 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Think about it. You open a large sized store, in a high rent location, you invest a lot into fit and fittings, and then you have very little business, but keep the shop open anyway. Meanwhile it's mainly a cash business. Maybe it is just a little bit intentional?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

When I make an order, double it up, toss half in the freezer. A slow & steady approach. 

If the laws really are going to change it could get cheaper as time goes on rather than more costly. There are already thousands of growers and vendors will want to dump any large existing stock quickly if they think their shop will need to close. Time is on the side of those who wait. 

• Agree 1