Google Chrome VERY slow

bdenner

I have 2 HP Notebooks connected to 3BB via the same Wifi Router. One running W10 and the other W11, both fully updated.

Chrome on the W10 Notebook slowed down yesterday with a lot of sites not connecting at all. It had taken many attempts to get the "Speedtest" done.

The browsing data has been completely cleared and "Chrome Settings" on both machines identical, extensions (only 1, Adobe Acrobat) off.

I have activated Firefox on the W10 Notebook, imported my Chrome bookmarks and run many of the sites without problem, Speedtest is OK as well.

Been to many sites looking for a solution.

Any ideas here?

Thank you

3BB on W10.jpg

3BB on W11.jpg

Not sure if related but know I missed at least one email on Gmail yesterday and several others were received late.  After about 1800 all normal but I am using True and they upped our old speed of 50 to 500 which might account for some of the issue.  Feb 29 is often a computer dark zone.  Did not notice Chrome being that slow but this site was extremely slow (more than normal).

If it works correctly with Firefox and not with Chrome, then it is something related to the Chrome browser, probably related to Chrome temporary files or an extension or as a result of a recent update.

To be sure, you can try completely uninstalling Chrome, first on only one of your computers. I recommend doing a complete uninstall, for example using the free version of Iobit Uninstaller. After uninstall, you then restart your computer before reinstalling Chrome by downloading the latest version. See if you have the problem again with the latest version of Chrome (without any extension first).

• Like 1

I was/am considering going down that path but using CCleaner to do a registry clean between uninstall and reinstall.

I subscribe to Express VPN and by routing through Sydney at least all the sites I use (including this) are connecting and operating smoothly with a little improvement in the "Speedtest" results but still nowhere near where they should be.

11 minutes ago, bdenner said:

I subscribe to Express VPN

Suspect that was/is your issue - change to Firefox may have changed VPN.  Try running without any VPN.

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Suspect that was/is your issue - change to Firefox may have changed VPN.  Try running without any VPN.

Thanks, guys, the results posted in the OP were recorded with the VPN OFF hence the Udon Thani IP address.

15 hours ago, GuyL said:

Sorry, the correct link is : https://testmy.net/

A comma was unintentionally included previously.

Don't know what to make of these results using "TestMy" - VPN OFF and VPN ON, definitely something wrong with them!

Also attached are the results recorded on my W11 Notebook this morning - VPN OFF using both sites.

Mytest Downlaod UTH.jpg

Mytest Downlaod SYD.jpg

W11 Today.jpg

TestMy Today.jpg

10 hours ago, bdenner said:

Don't know what to make of these results using "TestMy" - VPN OFF and VPN ON, definitely something wrong with them!

Also attached are the results recorded on my W11 Notebook this morning - VPN OFF using both sites.

Mytest Downlaod UTH.jpg

Mytest Downlaod SYD.jpg

W11 Today.jpg

TestMy Today.jpg

I mentioned TMN (Test My Net) only for its reliability as a real speed test.

https://testmy.net/ipb/topic/28743-difference-between-speed-test-sites/

About your initial problem, have you tried completely uninstalling Chrome and then reinstalling it on one of your computers and checking if that changes anything?

Otherwise, yes, the use of a VPN is one of the elements that can slow down the connection speed more or less significantly.

1 hour ago, GuyL said:

About your initial problem, have you tried completely uninstalling Chrome and then reinstalling it on one of your computers and checking if that changes anything?

Yes, I did this morning:-

Uninstall

Restart

Registry clean

Restart

Reinstall Chrome

Made no difference???

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

The slowness could be down to the amount of data that google is harvesting.

Questionable as 2 machines with very close specifications, accessing the same WiFi Router and same Chrome release have such a big anomally in Chrome performance.

Edited by bdenner
Clarity

2 hours ago, bdenner said:

Yes, I did this morning:-

Uninstall

Restart

Registry clean

Restart

Reinstall Chrome

Made no difference???

OK, maybe it's because the most recent version of Google Chrome is somehow slowing down your Internet connection, now.

You might have better luck with another browser also based on Chromium (SRWare Iron, as already suggested, but there are many others). It might also be worth checking with another browser that isn't Chromium-based, such as Opera (as you already have Firefox), for example. Personally, Firefox remains my main browser, but I also switch (mainly for web development or gaming) to Iron, Brave, Vivaldi, Wavebox, Waterfox, Opera, Edge and other browsers regularly. It's always useful to have at least two different browsers for testing purposes, actually, and also for certain tasks.

Edited by GuyL

15 hours ago, GuyL said:

It might also be worth checking with another browser that isn't Chromium-based, such as Opera (as you already have Firefox), for example.

Opera is also based on Chromium.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/4/2024 at 9:00 AM, gargamon said:

Try iron browser, aka chromium. Chrome without lots of the report home stuff. 

I mostly use Firefox Developer with SRWare Iron as backup. I like Iron a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

Opera is also based on Chromium.

Ah, yes, indeed for the current version. I've been using Opera for a very long time and this wasn't the case initially. I didn't pay too much attention to its evolution afterwards.

Fortunately, there are other brothers not based on Chromium:

https://stackdiary.com/web-browsers-not-based-on-chromium/

Edited by GuyL
Adding more info and a link

5 hours ago, george said:

It's several broken fiber optics in the Red Sea right now, this is one reason for slow internet speed:

Yes George, I could probably wear that if I was routing thru Europe but 100km up the road with 2 machines running in parallel over the same WiFi connection. There is the problem.

My 3BB connection speed has been the same for weeks, I do a PCmag test near every day in case my old PC needs a fix, it has been around 930 Mbps Download and 305 Mbps upload...No probs..🤗

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, GuyL said:

OK, maybe it's because the most recent version of Google Chrome is somehow slowing down your Internet connection, now.

You might have better luck with another browser also based on Chromium (SRWare Iron, as already suggested, but there are many others). It might also be worth checking with another browser that isn't Chromium-based, such as Opera (as you already have Firefox), for example. Personally, Firefox remains my main browser, but I also switch (mainly for web development or gaming) to Iron, Brave, Vivaldi, Wavebox, Waterfox, Opera, Edge and other browsers regularly. It's always useful to have at least two different browsers for testing purposes, actually, and also for certain tasks.

Thanks guys for all your replys.

As the W10 (somewhat older notebook and don't ask) machine is my primary work station I have decided to use FF for now.

Got better things to do. 5555

Edited by bdenner
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/4/2024 at 9:00 AM, gargamon said:

Try iron browser, aka chromium. Chrome without lots of the report home stuff. 

Thanks for bringing Iron to my attention. I have been having response issues using Brave, so I installed Iron on Monday after reading your post. So far, pages are loading faster when using Iron. Looking like I'm going to retire Brave in favour of Iron.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
correction
  • Thumbs Up 1