Rochdale by-election: Controversial left-winger George Galloway wins after chaotic campaign

Social Media

image.png

Controversial left-wing figure George Galloway secured victory in the recent Rochdale by-election, shaking up the political landscape in the area. Running under the banner of the Workers Party of Britain, Galloway's win came as a surprise to many, particularly as Labour, the traditional dominant force in the region, faced significant setbacks during the campaign.

The by-election results revealed Galloway as the clear victor, amassing an impressive 12,335 votes, securing a commanding majority of 5,697. In second place was independent candidate David Anthony Tully, followed by the Conservative nominee, Paul Ellison. Labour, which had initially been favored to win the seat, suffered a considerable blow after their candidate, Azhar Ali, faced controversy over leaked recordings containing alleged antisemitic remarks.

Ali's comments, exposed by the Daily Mail, led to Labour withdrawing support from him. However, by the time the decision was made, it was too late to remove his name from the ballot paper. This development significantly dented Labour's prospects in the by-election and paved the way for Galloway's unexpected triumph.

Throughout his campaign, Galloway strategically emphasized issues like the Palestinian cause in Gaza, aiming to mobilize support from Muslim voters in Rochdale. In addition to his focus on Gaza, Galloway addressed local concerns such as the state of Rochdale Football Club, maternity services, and the condition of the local accident and emergency department.

Following his victory, Galloway called for a "grand alliance" to effect change in local leadership and governance. He also directed criticism towards Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, although he admitted to not personally knowing him. Rival candidate Simon Danczuk, representing Reform UK, accused Galloway of being divisive and suggested he would prioritize international issues over local matters.

The Rochdale by-election was not without its share of controversies. Both Danczuk and Green Party candidate Guy Otten faced criticism, with Danczuk being accused of past inappropriate behavior, and Otten having party support withdrawn over social media comments. Despite these challenges, the by-election remained a focal point for residents of Rochdale, a town grappling with deprivation and the aftermath of grooming gang scandals.

The death of Labour stalwart Sir Tony Lloyd earlier in the year triggered the by-election, setting the stage for a heated contest in the constituency. Labour's missteps during the campaign, coupled with Galloway's strategic approach and appeal to key issues, ultimately led to his victory, reshaping the political landscape in Rochdale.

The by-election outcome serves as a reminder of the volatile nature of politics, where unexpected developments and controversies can sway electoral outcomes. As Galloway assumes his new role representing Rochdale, the region braces for potential shifts in policy priorities and political dynamics under his leadership.

Source

image.png

The Labour candidate was withdrawn after it was revealed that he made numerous anti Semitic remarks , The Labour candidate was favourite to win the election , after he was removed from the vote , George Galloway won the election, he was kicked out the Labour Party for his anti Semitism and he also congratulated Liverpool on beating Tottenham and keeping the trophy out of Jewish hands 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Well done George I salute your indefatigability and the wisdom of the citizens of Rochdale. He sussed out Israel's liar-in-chief  Eylon Levy and the US Congress way back when, and doesn't suffer fools gladly. Probably the greatest on the stump speaker the British system has ever produced, born in poverty from the tenements of Glasgow. An arrogant, self-opinionated in it for himself man for sure, but then aren't most politicians. But one who spouts poetry when the others merely splutter weasel words.

Let the frothers froth and cowards demure - but he will keep the red flag flying here !  (or at least until the next election or when he is banned from Parliament !)

Let the frothers froth and cowards demure - but he will keep the red flag flying here !

Ok comrade calm down. You must have been extremely disappointed when he lost his weekly show on Sputnik. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The Labour candidate was withdrawn after it was revealed that he made numerous anti Semitic remarks , The Labour candidate was favourite to win the election , after he was removed from the vote , George Galloway won the election, he was kicked out the Labour Party for his anti Semitism and he also congratulated Liverpool on beating Tottenham and keeping the trophy out of Jewish hands 

The Labour candidate was not withdrawn. He still stood in the election, under the Labour banner. He got over 2000 votes.

Had he won, he would have become an MP. I imagine Labour would gave immediately sacked him as a Labour MP and he would have become an independent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Rochdale has 30 % Muslim population , and George campaigned on the pro Palestinian  cause and won the election 

Radio 2 news said 40% turnout 

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Enjoy while it lasts.

May is my punt.

You're repeating yourself again Chomps.

Don't bet your life savings on May. The Tories will wait for opportunists like Galloway to form more options to spilt the anti-semitic Labour vote. More time for Labour MP's to expose themselves as racist anti semites. 

I told you there was still time for them to mess it up. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

You're repeating yourself again Chomps.

Don't bet your life savings on May. The Tories will wait for opportunists like Galloway to form more options to spilt the anti-semitic Labour vote. More time for Labour MP's to expose themselves as racist anti semites. 

I told you there was still time for them to mess it up. 

Pinned

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I suspect many Muslims would vote for someone with a Pro Islam, Pro Palestine, anti Israel stance before they even started thinking about the hair's breadth that now separates Labour and the Tories on many issues. 

That's IMO like saying the sun rises in the east.

I have no doubt that Gaza is going to be the motivating factor in any election a Muslim votes in from now on. Sunak may ( hopefully ) come to regret being so speedy to suck up to netanyahu.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is it antisemitism or anti israel/ zionist? I'm certainly not anti Jews as I have Jewish friends, but I'm pretty sure most on here know my view of israel/ zionism.

British Jews have been attacked, so that makes it Anti Semitism , you having Jewish friends doesn't mean that the attacks were not anti sematic  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is it antisemitism or anti israel/ zionist? I'm certainly not anti Jews as I have Jewish friends, but I'm pretty sure most on here know my view of israel/ zionism.

It is antisemitism.

People might try to use language to try to soften the edges, but it is what it is.

The world's oldest hatred cannot be repackaged that easily. 

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's IMO like saying the sun rises in the east.

I have no doubt that Gaza is going to be the motivating factor in any election a Muslim votes in from now on. Sunak may ( hopefully ) come to regret being so speedy to suck up to netanyahu.

The problem for Labour is that Starmer is also pro Israel (publicly anyway).

That's how these opportunist chancers like Galloway step in to rally up the antisemites and get a seat in Parliament. 

He's smart. He showed it can be done. Expect more of it. The hate is strong at the moment and people will exploit it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Pinned

You always say that.

I'm yet to see you follow up on it, mainly because of the "it never happens" part.

18 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Well done George I salute your indefatigability and the wisdom of the citizens of Rochdale. He sussed out Israel's liar-in-chief  Eylon Levy and the US Congress way back when, and doesn't suffer fools gladly. Probably the greatest on the stump speaker the British system has ever produced, born in poverty from the tenements of Glasgow. An arrogant, self-opinionated in it for himself man for sure, but then aren't most politicians. But one who spouts poetry when the others merely splutter weasel words.

Let the frothers froth and cowards demure - but he will keep the red flag flying here !  (or at least until the next election or when he is banned from Parliament !)

He's certainly a terrific speaker but I do have questions about his alleged efforts in South Africa.  I looked to find independent evidence that Galloway had ever done there what he claimed. I couldn't find any. I'm not asserting it doesn't exist, but it's odd that, at best, it's hard to find.

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't think I've ever supported Galloway before, but on this one I'm  cheering him on. I'm talking about his stance on Gaza. I don't know what else he may have in his bag of tricks to annoy parliament with ( I'm hoping he will be poking a verbal stick in Sunak's eye ). I expect his "maiden speech" is going to be a doozy.

I bet you are, giving plenty of aid and wads of cash directly to Hamas. I wonder when his next trip over there will be?

image.png.a17d4b2ea32881ccd3e4f1a601f3afd9.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU_lfgo-qgc

• Thumbs Up 1

This incident happened about 11 years ago. Gross anti-Semitic George Galloway walked out of a debate at Oxford University after finding out that sharing the stage was an Israeli, anybody that shares the views of this vile individual needs to ask themselves some serious questions.

Galloway interrupted the third-year philosophy, politics and economics student at Brasenose college when Aslan-Levy used the word "we" in reference to Israel.

"You said 'we'," said Galloway. "Are you an Israeli?"

"I am, yes," Aslan-Levy replied.

"I don't debate with Israelis. I have been misled, sorry," Galloway said, standing and putting on his coat, then reiterating as he walked out: "I don't recognise Israel and I don't debate with Israelis."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/feb/21/george-galloway-debate-israeli-oxford

• Like 2