Mass Shooting at Concert in Ubon Ratchathani Leaves Four People Dead, Many Injured

webfact

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Typical Thai.. The singers were not so good and the audience complained... a fight broke out and he went home to get a gun to shoot the complainers...Probably all result of too much noise all the time that makes people oversensitive, too much alcohol and too long parties. Temples first of all should be a place to meditate and rest/peace, but in Thailand these temples are used as an entertainment venue with many activities, as movies, dancings, parties, just name it with a lot of noise. Rip to the victims, but probably Noppadon will face no charge as he a member of the volunteer defence corps... Justice in Thailand has we have seen many times doesn't exist. It will be a misunderstanding

Noppadon will face no charge as he was one of the four deceased. Death by gunshot apparently .

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Noppadan is named as both the guard and the perpetrator. Is he both? 

A horrific act. What kind of man shoots a group of people dead? Fortunately this kind of thing does not happen often here. They happen almost daily in the US, a nation that absolutely adores it's violence. 

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Typical Thai.. The singers were not so good and the audience complained... a fight broke out and he went home to get a gun to shoot the complainers...Probably all result of too much noise all the time that makes people oversensitive, too much alcohol and too long parties. Temples first of all should be a place to meditate and rest/peace, but in Thailand these temples are used as an entertainment venue with many activities, as movies, dancings, parties, just name it with a lot of noise. Rip to the victims, but probably Noppadon will face no charge as he a member of the volunteer defence corps... Justice in Thailand has we have seen many times doesn't exist. It will be a misunderstanding

Noppadan was shot and killed!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The singers were not so good and the audience complained..

Im more inclined to think some drunk gave a tip to a dancer and then expected priveledges for that tip.  Theres a loss of face, especially toxic in front of mates, and then the parties on!

In my village these shows are generally well behaved however there are a lot of guards about with nasty wooden clubs and usually a rifle slung by a guard somewhere in the crowd.   Ive seen youtube vids of moolam shows in the NE where half the crowd has attacked the other half back and forth in waves like it was all orchistrated.

Edited by ThaiFelix

Thailand is the one of a minority places that have females dancing in short provocative clothes,is this because the people on stage trying to perform have no idea what there doing and sound like a toilet flushing.

If this behavior continues at concerts Thailand may consider banning them,unfortunately.

• Haha 1

Napponon will go back to VDC office next week and watch his entry training video again, and he'll be told to calm down a bit....    then back out in the field again.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Ubon Ratchathani—At 12:30 AM, on March 1st, 2024, Khong Chiam police officers received a mass shooting report incident, resulting in four casualties and many injuries, at a northeastern-style concert in Khong Chiam, Ubon Ratchathani.

According to the police report, unidentified witnesses told the police that during the concert at a temple in Khong Chiam, Mr. Noppadon Thonglee, a 45-year-old Volunteer Defense Corps (VDC) guarding the event, broke up a group of audience members that annoyed the singers on the stage.

Noppadon’s action made the group of audience members angry, leading to a heated verbal and physical quarrel between the two parties.

Enraged after the altercation, Noppadon returned home to get his firearm, a CZ-75, and then came back to the concert and shot at the group of audience members who attacked him, resulting in many casualties and injuries.

Upon the police arrival, Khong Chiam administrative officers and the VDC suppressed the situation after the chaos was subdued.

By Kittisak Phalaharn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-03-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

I think the Monks are letting society down badly, they should be teaching tolerance and diluting all this "cannot lose face" BS.

They are the Ethics Teachers of Thai society, so teach the children well

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Napponon will go back to VDC office next week and watch his entry training video again, and he'll be told to calm down a bit....    then back out in the field again.

Good timing, it's almost Easter.

Doubtless a weapon purchased through one of the Ministry of Interior schemes to provide 'cheap' guns [50K for something like a CZ 75 vs 90K in a gun shop] to state officials and others of similar ilk. 

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

These "morlam" events are full of trouble due to brainless drunkards. Extra protection is needed. It's ages that I came near such event.

One was in our village at the school yard. Guys with pump guns taking care for security.

The other one was a "superstar" event with huge crowds.

Military police taking care.

Not true, they normally search bags and pat down for booze, but sometimes its a sponsored event by beer companies where they are selling beer inside. When it comes to musical styles phua cheewit is the worst for trouble and Carabao infamous for a flash point. The only time they came to our local wat they were cancelled due to worries about kids kicking off. Security is normally good these days, long time since a saw drunks or crazy ladyboys being bashed with sticks and dragged off. Village concerts might be somewhat different, I did go to one in Ubon years ago near the border with 2 village group rival turning up. Security announced even dancing was off the cards, and any who got up to dance got a bop on the head! It was like that kids game in the arcade bash the frog.

Who was the superstar?

• Thanks 1

In America, we keep your guns in our cars much more efficient that way - immediate feedback…except for Thai pick up drivers 

lucky for thailand that most of the general population get around on motorcycle…

the irony that motorcycles can reduce carnage…

14 hours ago, ezzra said:

Speechless 😶...

I remember going to one of these concerts in Petchaboon in 2000 with gf and her sister. They warned me to stay close and be wary when, not if, the violence started. And they were correct, but back then firearms weren't as prevalent. Knives and machetes, but no one was killed. Needless to say we headed for the hills and GTFO

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The more dead  the less the number of morons breathing and Noppadon was not a youngster but  he was a moron , monks and temples are only in it for the money  and power

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

The more dead  the less the number of morons breathing and Noppadon was not a youngster but  he was a moron , monks and temples are only in it for the money  and power

Another one who came (to Pattaya) and fell in love with the culture 😄 Temples actually often lose money on concerts, or they are paid for by donors, sometimes a sponsor hires the singer/band and hope to make a profit on tickets sold. Other times beer companies sponsor them, yes on temple grounds. It's not as simple as monks sitting back and making a killing, usually they only get money from people making merit and those renting stall space at wat fairs. 

4 hours ago, proton said:

Not true, they normally search bags and pat down for booze, but sometimes its a sponsored event by beer companies where they are selling beer inside

What is not true? My observations?

They are years ago and I had no urge to check again.

Good for you that the events you see have such a good security.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, proton said:

Not true, they normally search bags and pat down for booze, but sometimes its a sponsored event by beer companies where they are selling beer inside. When it comes to musical styles phua cheewit is the worst for trouble and Carabao infamous for a flash point. The only time they came to our local wat they were cancelled due to worries about kids kicking off. Security is normally good these days, long time since a saw drunks or crazy ladyboys being bashed with sticks and dragged off. Village concerts might be somewhat different, I did go to one in Ubon years ago near the border with 2 village group rival turning up. Security announced even dancing was off the cards, and any who got up to dance got a bop on the head! It was like that kids game in the arcade bash the frog.

Who was the superstar?

You mentioned Carabao... I recall a Carabao concert something like 20 years ago in Korat. There were so many police and security guards around there, you wouldn't think anything would happen. hahaha But true to reputation, it was like a free-for-all. No idea what the police did. Likely nearly nothing. It seems that those events were more like every young punk in a 50 mile radius coming for a planned rumble between 20 little gangs, and then of course every other offended party who might get shoved during the mayhem, which gave seemingly more than half of the massive crowd an excuse to start swinging and get into brawls practically everywhere you looked! And it just so happened that there was some music to accompany it and police to officiate and girls to scream. Slightly exaggerated maybe, but it really was nutso AND it was HILARIOUS.

Edited by Sig
  • Thumbs Up 1

Self taken pictures.

Superstar "mai thai". Picture before concert started.

111230204700.jpg

These boys took care:

111230211223.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

22 minutes ago, proton said:

Another one who came (to Pattaya) and fell in love with the culture 😄 Temples actually often lose money on concerts, or they are paid for by donors, sometimes a sponsor hires the singer/band and hope to make a profit on tickets sold. Other times beer companies sponsor them, yes on temple grounds. It's not as simple as monks sitting back and making a killing, usually they only get money from people making merit and those renting stall space at wat fairs. 

I have been to every corner of Thailand over last 30 years   and in my experience 90% of the temples , are corrupt ,or complicit in abuse of the people ,  I have seen it in villages , towns , my Thai wife who used to be a devout Bhuddist   has actually denounced Thai  Bhuddism due to the corruption and abuse she has seen ,,,

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

I have been to every corner of Thailand over last 30 years   and in my experience 90% of the temples , are corrupt ,or complicit in abuse of the people ,  I have seen it in villages , towns , my Thai wife who used to be a devout Bhuddist   has actually denounced Thai  Bhuddism due to the corruption and abuse she has seen ,,,

Mrs.T doesn't get involved with the Temple stuff much now.....🤔

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Self taken pictures.

Superstar "mai thai". Picture before concert started.

111230204700.jpg

These boys took care:

111230211223.jpg

Mai tai was good when he was with Seang Issan and for a few years after he was chucked out. Last time we saw him he was like a parody, lots got up and left, pity. His biggest hit, Baksidur

Edited by proton