Why am I here?

Maybe less fun back home also - as you will be same age back home as here.

You've just passes into a new phase of life which can evoke 'mourning'...more so in west I'd say. I'd love to have my clubbing days back here and date lower 20s chix.

Still a possibility in Thailand on both fronts...never see over 35s much even maybe in UK nightclubs..not sure...

Grass is always greener syndrome.

I had to go back in west due to family reasons and see both pluses minuses here.

Fresh air, Autumn, less brutal summers etc etc....higher overheads ad just generally costly. Luckily no mortgage or rent overheads for me while here.

• Like 2

Asia have mostly been health related for me, less stress, more sun, more activity and easy to eat healthy for a decent money. Also easy to save money living in Asia partly. 

Fun? What is fun? Clubbing like you did when younger? Abuse your body? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You never saved or owned in your country your whole life? You living off that UK 30k a month bargirls make triple that pension?

It is very sad how crappy some pensions are.  

I also think it is a poor decision to move away from a home country without an option to return.  

Moving to asia without a safety line, is not recommended! 

I have met so many expats who do not have any insurance, and many of them is from Uk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

If I could afford to live in my own country I would not be here. It was fun when younger.

So move back and live in a small town which is cheaper.

1 hour ago, rexpotter said:

If I could afford to live in my own country I would not be here. It was fun when younger.

why the question mark in your title then?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Most of the things that annoy me about Thailand are Asia/Asian related. Maybe try a cheap Eastern European country like Georgia which has comparable cost of living?

Good luck, may I ask, do you have any experience with former eastern block countrie, and Georgia? 

Good timing by the way. 

Slovakia is decent thow and beautiful 

1 hour ago, rexpotter said:

Why are you in Bangkok? Because you weren't smart enough to figure out Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nong Khai or a beach location is better.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Did you have a plan? You never saved or owned in your country your whole life? You living off that UK 30k a month bargirls make triple that pension?

It is very sad how crappy some pensions are.  

I also think it is a poor decision to move away from a home country without an option to return.  

So very, very true bkk6060. I have a friend that was just admitted to a Thai government hospital with a stoke. He could not afford a private hospital. He is 88 years old living on SS. He has no will and lives with a caretaker. There is no way to access a little bit of money that he has in an investment account. The hospital wants to get paid. So his caretaker is trying to figure out a way for her to get his money to pay the hospital, marriage or a fake marriage certificate.

Why is it that some expats get themselves in these situations?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, WhatMeWorry said:

So very, very true bkk6060. I have a friend that was just admitted to a Thai government hospital with a stoke. He could not afford a private hospital. He is 88 years old living on SS. He has no will and lives with a caretaker. There is no way to access a little bit of money that he has in an investment account. The hospital wants to get paid. So his caretaker is trying to figure out a way for her to get his money to pay the hospital, marriage or a fake marriage certificate.

Why is it that some expats get themselves in these situations?

If you don't have at least 3m baht to pay a Govt. hospital then you have planned your live badly. IMO any more than 3m in a govt. hospital  then its all over. Is he not even capable of giving his 'caretaker' his pin number? What has a marriage cert got to do with paying HIS bill? 

They can't make her pay anyway.  Your post makes no sense to me.