Why am I here?

9 minutes ago, jesimps said:

So the choice is move back to UK, get free medical treatment if I'm prepared to wait a long time, but can't afford a decent day to day standard of living, or stay here, self insure because medical insurance is beyond my means (80 yoa) but have a decent standard of living.

From what I see of the UK on the news, it isn't the same place that I left 17 years back and looks like it is only going to get worse. If I end up begging on the street, at least I've got the weather for it heIf I finish up begging on the street, at least the weather's better here.

I guess at 80, I hopefully will be ok with getting sick and leave this place at anytime given.

The whole idea, is to plan for your older days when younger, and have a safety line. 

However we cannnot predict the future. 

4 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I feel the same way about the UK, as for nanny state rules, if you don't like them or disagree with them then don't obey them, try and find a way round them, you usually can. Well I could. 😄

Nanny state rules make roads safer, cities cleaner. But you lose the heart and soul of life. 

On 3/2/2024 at 5:26 PM, rexpotter said:

If I could afford to live in my own country I would not be here. It was fun when younger.

Everything is more fun when younger.

31 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Nanny state rules make roads safer, cities cleaner. But you lose the heart and soul of life. 

Really? A nanny state provided you the possibilities to get education, make money, gave you choices, and here you sit and talk <deleted> about nanny states? 

Single minded people do not understand how luckh we where to grow up in last half of the last century, now the same people brings everything that was good, with selfish votes and actions. Go figure where it all want wrong

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Really? A nanny state provided you the possibilities to get education, make money, gave you choices, and here you sit and talk <deleted> about nanny states? 

Single minded people do not understand how luckh we where to grow up in last half of the last century, now the same people brings everything that was good, with selfish votes and actions. Go figure where it all want wrong

Nanny state gave me nothing buddy.

• Agree 1

I can get prompt medical care for most any condition on the same day that I go to a private hospital here in Bangkok.  I have Medicare in America but the waiting time and quality of care there can sometimes be poor.  My daughter in Washington State can’t communicate with her doctor and receives medication that is not explained to her.  She now pays cash for online doctor consultations, gets full explanations and a prescription for the medication that she needs quickly.

I have good accommodations here in Bangkok and all of the facilities that I want to use are within walking distance or a short cab ride away.

UK residents living here should not worry about paying their part.  They are liable for Thai income tax starting on  January 1st this year.  For most, their tax rate will probably be 20% or 25%.  Americans are not liable because of America’s tax treaty with Thailand 

51 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

I can get prompt medical care for most any condition on the same day that I go to a private hospital here in Bangkok.  I have Medicare in America but the waiting time and quality of care there can sometimes be poor.  My daughter in Washington State can’t communicate with her doctor and receives medication that is not explained to her.  She now pays cash for online doctor consultations, gets full explanations and a prescription for the medication that she needs quickly.

I have good accommodations here in Bangkok and all of the facilities that I want to use are within walking distance or a short cab ride away.

UK residents living here should not worry about paying their part.  They are liable for Thai income tax starting on  January 1st this year.  For most, their tax rate will probably be 20% or 25%.  Americans are not liable because of America’s tax treaty with Thailand 

What area of Bkk are you in and what are you paying in rent?

Edited by JimTripper

I have a small one bedroom suite in a five-star hotel on Wireless Road near Ploenchit and pay 70,000 on a monthly basis.

• Haha 1

It`s actually cheaper for me to live back in the UK , but the weather in Winter is usually bad - cold , wet and windy . Nowhere to go , just stay in and try to keep warm - it`s quite boring .

When I add up the cost of rent , food , travel , entertainment , visas etc , it`s more expensive in Thailand for me , but what price can you put on those clear blue skies and warm weather ?

Here`s a question - if the weather in Thailand was similar to Northern Europe , how many of you would stay here ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Why?

Have you been long enough in Thailand, you find many living proofs, why it is for some, a bad idea to leave their country.

They might had been lost home to, so, 

Im not cutting ties, but have 20 years experience with Thailand, living 7 of them here, now back to 50/50 home - Thailand.

To many who got the thaifever, cut all strings, made some bad choices and lost everything. They went from living in  paradise, to loose everything in very short time.

SH can happen to anyone, even those who think they doing everything right. 

On 3/2/2024 at 5:26 PM, rexpotter said:

If I could afford to live in my own country I would not be here. It was fun when younger.

What advice are you looking for? 

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

To many who got the thaifever, cut all strings, made some bad choices and lost everything. They went from living in  paradise, to loose everything in very short time.

And many have not made bad choices. And many have not lost everything.

Many have a marvellous life here in Thailand, with warm year-round weather, good health cover, a beautiful house, a gorgeous wife, lots of quick travel to an abundant amount of other countries, cleaning maids, gardeners, investment income streams and more money than they can ever spend after liquidating their assets back home.

They have no reason whatsoever to “keep an option to return home”. 

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Nemises said:

And many have not made bad choices. And many have not lost everything.

Many have a marvellous life here in Thailand, with warm year-round weather, good health cover, a beautiful house, a gorgeous wife, lots of quick travel to an abundant amount of other countries, cleaning maids, gardeners, investment income streams and more money than they can ever spend after liquidating their assets back home.

They have no reason whatsoever to “keep an option to return home”. 

I hear you, most I know who you describe as happy, have resourches and if SH, they will manage to relocate and continue a happy life, thats the whole meaning behind having a safety line. 

On 3/2/2024 at 3:22 PM, Hummin said:

Moving to asia without a safety line, is not recommended! 

I have met so many expats who do not have any insurance, and many of them is from Uk.

I only have insurance if required by law.

So many people trust insurance companies, but it's just a con game and they're just marks.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I hear you, most I know who you describe as happy, have resourches and if SH, they will manage to relocate and continue a happy life, thats the whole meaning behind having a safety line. 

We agree about being able to relocate elsewhere if SH, but I say not necessarily back to your home country. Hence why I was questioning this post:

I also think it is a poor decision to move away from a home country without an option to return

7 hours ago, Nemises said:

We agree about being able to relocate elsewhere if SH, but I say not necessarily back to your home country. Hence why I was questioning this post:

I also think it is a poor decision to move away from a home country without an option to return

I understand and realize expats from other countries than me, might not have the same patriotism as me about their homeland. 

Im great full for the opportunities my home country gave me, and also a great country to live in, even There is no way I can have the same life there. Economically or climate.

My problem, I see no other countries that can give the same as Thailand in the long run. 

The biggest problem with Thailand now, is the Taxation of expats, and offers nothing back! Anyway, we will see how it turns out in the future. 

15 hours ago, Hummin said:

might not have the same patriotism as me about their homeland.

I’m also very patriotic about the homeland. Continue to subscribe to their online newspapers, radio shows and cable TV. Still thoroughly enjoy watching all my preferred homeland domestic sports and cheering at our international sports events etc. But keeping an option open to ever live there again?! OMG absolutely never again and absolutely no reason to.

An annual 2 week holiday back there every year to see my family, friends and medical check up with my Dr is 13 days too long!

On 3/4/2024 at 6:43 PM, Dolf said:

So you prefer living in a Country that has appalling air pollution with air that is difficult to breathe and seas you cannot swim in because there being no one stopping the polluters , rather than in a "nanny" state that forbids the polluters and the air is breathable ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

So you prefer living in a Country that has appalling air pollution with air that is difficult to breathe and seas you cannot swim in because there being no one stopping the polluters , rather than in a "nanny" state that forbids the polluters and the air is breathable ?

You trying to say nanny states don't have air or water pollution :coffee1:

I know USA issues advisories / closes beaches when the fecal count is too high, and you've obviously never been at north New Jersey, near EWR airport, as the air is rank due to chem factories.

I have to tolerate a couple months of not the best air in cool season here, as opposed to staying inside during the wet & cold season of say, the UK.   Which would be more enjoyable during those months ... hmm.  Inside our house the air is not polluted.

The PM2.5 where I live now, isn't much different from where I lived in the USA

Granted, I couldn't live north of where we live, year round, but I also don't need to.

On 3/4/2024 at 3:44 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Well all I would say, unless you are ex military and have Tricare, just don't get seriously sick.

We can bitch and moan about health insurance in the US.  but Thailand is a rare insuance market and as you age, that premium is gonna skyrocket.

Now I know i will hear, "I self insure" which means nothing more than I can pay out of income.

So just don't get anything seriously sick, because that $2400/month will get sucked up pretty quick

Agreed. A bit more, in the interest of full disclosure. Retirement included a policy which will pay up to $5K a year if outside the USA. I had a heart attack here in 2015, they paid the $5K and I had to eat the remaining $6K.