Why am I here?

8 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

So you prefer living in a Country that has appalling air pollution with air that is difficult to breathe and seas you cannot swim in because there being no one stopping the polluters , rather than in a "nanny" state that forbids the polluters and the air is breathable ?

Thai beaches are pretty good. You need to get out more. Pollution is more in the north and Bangkok.

On 3/3/2024 at 11:23 AM, Negita43 said:

Which would you prefer when you spend your money - a scowl, a look of disdain, a blank face or a smile? You always seem to be complaining Bob.

Find the good things in your life an you'll be a lot happier and feel less put upon by the world

Agree, always look on the bright side of life ......................

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Bad luck, my nanny state gave me a degree and postgrad, all fully funded.

Yeh riiiiight, did so well, has to fiddle the state pension.......😂

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2024 at 6:12 PM, Brahmz said:

You are here because this is the 'right' place for you.

Its where you can do the things you were born to do.

You nailed it...Excellent post!

On 3/2/2024 at 3:15 PM, KhunLA said:

I would need to be multi-millionaire status (just 2), to live in my home country.  1M for a house in southern FL and hope that's enough.  The other million for playing nomadic tourist a few months of the year, when stormy season is there, June through to end of November.   Too damn hot anyway.

Although, if I had 2M liquid, why waste it on high price RE & taxes in USA, as better options elsewhere.

So guess that would be a big NO ... never would return.  Have way too much pocket money right here, and don't miss anything.

After living in Thailand for 6 years coming from the US I'm quite happy to stay here and I'm going home next month to sell my house and leave nothing there but a mailing address and a bank account. I'll be looking up old friends and telling them goodbye because I don't plan to ever come back there. There's just no appeal to living there anymore and prices are just way too high.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hard to believe that we get deep into page 5 before someone (me) says they're here because they are ga-ga in love with Thailand.

I had a good life in the states, and if visa's were not an issue (big if), I could afford to live in most western places. But I'd happily pay double or quadruple to live in this fascinating, ultra-chill sanuk wonderland. I am joyful, engaged, and spoiled every day of my life.

With the cheaper-everything, I figure I get paid an extra $100+ a day as a reward for having the brains and good taste to choose paradise. My now unpaid state income tax alone covers my rent and health insurance. Previously, those tax payments were essentially just tossed down a well in terms of benefiting me.

Those sweet $100 bills just keep on piling up, day by day. I'm writing this from Morocco where I am dodging the Chiang Mai smoke. In just six weeks of passive $100 bill-stacking, Morocco is essentially "free" now too.

Short version: I can afford elsewhere, but I would be bedbug crazy to go there.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, RocketDog said:

leave nothing there but a mailing address and a bank account. 

I'm with you. We do well Air BnBing our house. And we have some trees to sell in a few years.

Otherwise, I'm running out the door for good behind you.