Applying online (https://www.thaievisa.go.th/) from UK for 1 year Spouse Visa.

Hi, 

I'm travelling to Thailand on the 3rd April. I would like to stay in Thailand indefinitely so based on what I have read on google I thought I would need to apply for 90 day Non O - Visa online then convert / apply for a 1 year Visa in Thailand. However when I visit the thai e-visa website I cannot see an option for spouse Visa, the closest option seems to be stay with this family. 

I am under 50, have the required 400,000bht in a UK bank although I can transfer to my Thai bank if necessary.

30 minutes ago, Patts said:

Hi, 

I'm travelling to Thailand on the 3rd April. I would like to stay in Thailand indefinitely so based on what I have read on google I thought I would need to apply for 90 day Non O - Visa online then convert / apply for a 1 year Visa in Thailand. However when I visit the thai e-visa website I cannot see an option for spouse Visa, the closest option seems to be stay with this family. 

I am under 50, have the required 400,000bht in a UK bank although I can transfer to my Thai bank if necessary.

Sounds good, £1000 + for SE non-O, so £10k in UK bank ideal for application.

The 400k needs to be in the Thai Bank 2 months before the extension application.

The have modified the e-visa for the TR so don't know if the non-O bit has changed as 9 months since I did one......

Best getting the visa soon as roumors of a bit of a price increase maybe 19 Mar.

(Did she give you and email noting she is aware of, invites your visit. Copy of marraige cert, copy of ID or Thai passport. Though I don't know if the supporting docs fields are still the same)

Edited by UKresonant
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Sounds good, £1000 + for SE non-O, so £10k in UK bank ideal for application.

The 400k needs to be in the Thai Bank 2 months before the extension application.

The have modified the e-visa for the TR so don't know if the non-O bit has changed as 9 months since I did one......

Best getting the visa soon as roumors of a bit of a price increase maybe 19 Mar.

(Did she give you and email noting she is aware of, invites your visit. Copy of marraige cert, copy of ID or Thai passport. Though I don't know if the supporting docs fields are still the same)

My Wife lives with me in the UK but we have decided to move to TH.

I'd like to apply today or tomorrow but stuck as the e-visa website doesn't specify "Spouse Visa" so I have no idea which Visa type I'm meant to apply for LOL. 

I have:

bank statements

passport (both wife and I)

Wife thai ID

Marriage Cert

Thai Address

One way tickets for the flight

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patts said:

My Wife lives with me in the UK but we have decided to move to 

You have an option of entering Thailand visa exempt exempt and obtaining non O based on marriage at immigration in Thailand.  

Assume that you have a Thai bank account in your name only. 

Here is a thread that outlines that process...

https://aseannow.com/topic/1315828-visa-exempt-to-90-day-non-o-spouse-visa-conversion-in-thailand/

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Assume your wife is Thai  national (not clear) 

You have an option of entering Thailand visa exempt exempt and obtaining non O based on marriage at immigration in Thailand.  

Assume that you have a Thai bank account in your name only. 

Sorry, yes my wife is a Thai national. I have a Bangkok Bank account in my name.

I wanted to obtain the Spouse Visa prior so we have a clear 3 months (ish) to concentrate on songkran, mods to house, farming etc etc.  

I understood (maybe incorrectly) that it was harder to obtain a spouse visa within Thailand because I would need 400k in my thai bank account for at least 3 months before applying 

Edited by Patts
update re entering without Visa

24 minutes ago, Patts said:

I understood (maybe incorrectly) that it was harder to obtain a spouse visa within Thailand because I would need 400k in my thai bank account for at least 3 months before applying 

No. 

To apply for the Non O with the 400k in your bank on day of application.  

That process is outlined in link I posted earlier.

The fact that you have a Thai bank account in your name only makes it easy process in your situation .

As for time constraint you can obtain a 60 day extension "to visit wife"  from your visa exempt entry. 

The option of obtaining the Non O in country also good option.  

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

This;

image.png.bf2381dcde23d2ae8e0976bd6f0f7288.png

That's what I did before but technically my Wife is coming with me from the UK and we will be residing in our house so didn't quite seem to fit the bill. I thought that was the closest option. Thank you 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No. 

To apply for the Non O with the 400k in your bank on day of application.  

That process is outlined in link I posted earlier.

The fact that you have a Thai bank account in your name only makes it easy process in your situation .

As for time constraint you can obtain a 60 day extension "to visit wife"  from your visa exempt entry. 

The option of obtaining the Non O in country also good option.  

Ermmmm, 60 day extension is where I ran into problems before. I got a 90 day non O in from the UK. after entering Thailand I went to immigration at 3 months to extend but the most they said they could do was 60 days.  Am I missing something?

I am concerned with coming on a tourist visa (no Visa) because I only have one way flight, I understand, if they check I would need return flights to enter as a tourist

I want to remain in Thailand forever. 

Edited by Patts
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Patts said:

I am concerned with coming on a tourist visa (no Visa) because I only have one way flight, I understand, if they check I would need return flights to enter as a tourist

That topic has been discussed often.

Common recommendation is "onwardflight.com" 

Screenshot_20240302_225039_Gallery.jpg

Just came to Thailand a few days ago, similar situation, flew in together with my wife.

I just want to confirm, indeed you need to choose 'Non-O Stay with Thai Family (more than 60 days)".

My embassy (not UK) later (after the initial application) requested proof of return / onward flight, which was then again requested by the airline before embarking on the flight, so I'd strongly recommend you use a reservation such as onwardticket so you can show it in case it's needed. I had something similar.

How the process works is a bit different with each embassy as I understand it, mine took almost 2 months to process my visa, but I've read the UK one is quite fast.

That's what I did before but technically my Wife is coming with me from the UK and we will be residing in our house so didn't quite seem to fit the bill.

The embassy also (additionally) asked me for a letter of invitation and proof of ownership. Quote: "Please upload to your account: Letter of invitation + Inviting person's house proof of ownership + the Thai ID card."

In my case I had the 400k in the Thai account for more than 2 months when I applied so I'm not sure whether that'll be an issue or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last year I just did a Hotel Booking, as they suggested, the first few days would suffice. Agoda booking.

(I've always had a return ticket. But often thought, if you have enough points an airline award ticket could be useful for one way, and just refert the points and booking later...

• Like 1