FB Marketplace

Tariya

I've sold a few things, works well, best if item is picked up, I've only paid first and got delivery after once, worked ok, a friend recently got scammed that way.

The scammer agrees a price, person sends money then scammer blocks you and you don't receive anything.

To prevent scamming don't pay first, can do COD. Also asking for ID passport or thai ID will help, I doubt they will get many fake IDs as they have many fake Facebook profiles

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've sold a few things, works well, best if item is picked up, I've only paid first and got delivery after once, worked ok, a friend recently got scammed that way.

The scammer agrees a price, person sends money then scammer blocks you and you don't receive anything.

To prevent scamming don't pay first, can do COD. Also asking for ID passport or thai ID will help, I doubt they will get many fake IDs as they have many fake Facebook profiles

Sounds like what happened to my Mrs, buying pomelos of all things. 

I only buy if I can see the item in person.  Far too many are advertising in Pattaya, yet they are in another city and want people to send money with the "promise" they'll ship the item in the mail.  

My wife got scammed out of a few hundred trying to buy some small item.

Regarding selling on FB....

Last month I advertised some worn furniture and a desktop PC that was left behind in my recently acquired condo. 

I had to format the PC beforehand but it sold the day after going live with just one enquiry.

Messenger on my phone went berserk with messages for the furniture, which was split into separate adverts: sofa/armchairs, dining table/chairs, sideboard, coffee table etc. 

The same day as the advert went live I sold the sideboard to the first person to show up, then an hour later, all the rest to a dealer who collected the next morning. He probably got a good deal but I needed a rest from having to respond to enquiries. 

For the ads - Good photos and clear wording etc, all in English. 

A farang bought the PC, and all the furniture went to Thais. All paid cash and took the items away.

Similar luck might depend on what you're selling, and how you price it, but furniture seems to be red hot judging by my experience. 

8 minutes ago, Johnlkuk said:

I'm neither and happily posted my experience above proving this. 

You were selling, how you could be scammed.

There are many scammers on FB, and I posted a thread with evidence about that a few months ago

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, BenStark said:

You were selling, how you could be scammed.

There are many scammers on FB, and I posted a thread with evidence about that a few months ago

Yes, you're probably right about some scammer sellers, but the

OP asked about experiences with selling, so I answered. 

For some unknown reason other posters then want to comment on how many scammers there are. 

Yes, little chance of being scammed if you are selling and only accept cash/bank transfer as payment. 

Have sold & bought from FB Marketplace, and don't find it no more scam-ish than other platforms.   Wee bit of common sense and research keeps the scammers at bay.

I have been trying to sell various things for reasonable prices on 'Bahtsold' for a couple of years now such as a nearly new 900W UPS, a Siemens Washing Machine in great condition, a 20KVA AVR in new condition for half the price, a Marantz power amplifier....nou, forget it, no response at all, only viewers.
FB, I don't dare, especially with all the fake responses you're going to get.

It looks like, Thai have enough money and don't buy second hands.

I've sold lots of used stuff on FB Marketplace; and I've also bought some items for a great price. 
Lessons learned as a seller:

1) 30% or less of new price

2) take the first serious offer

3) don't continue msg with any non-serious buyers

4) meet in person, or transfer money then send

• Thumbs Up 1

I sold my car within a few days on FB. Lots of interest in the car, but many tyre kickers also. First guy that came to look at it bought it for the asking price. I think for big things like cars and motorbikes it works ok. I agree there appear to be many scams for lower cost items though.

Caution is definitely the way to go. Be very careful and you’ll be ok. There are scammers galore but genuine sellers too. I’ve bought and sold on marketplace but not in Thailand.