Pattaya to Buriram

Bobthegimp

I rode the Click up here. In a bar called "Paddy's " and the women here are very attractive, if that kind of thing appeals to you. They're all dripping of being on the game, and I'm a fat geezer.  Good music if you're not into geezer crap and the town is pretty cool.  This post is part of a swimming upstream theme.  Just needed a break from Pattaya and this is quite refreshing. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

I rode the Click up here. In a bar called "Paddy's " and the women here are very attractive, if that kind of thing appeals to you. They're all dripping of being on the game, and I'm a fat geezer.  Good music if you're not into geezer crap and the town is pretty cool.  This post is part of a swimming upstream theme.  Just needed a break from Pattaya and this is quite refreshing. 

What is geezer music?

• Like 1

Just now, Muhendis said:

So Bobthegimp rode all the way from Pattaya to Paddy's Irish Bar in Buriram and finds it refreshing?

A change is as good as a rest.......

Takes all sorts I suppose

It's 37 degC in the shade out there with the sun beating down here in Pattaya.... I rode home from town the other day and the heat was making me light headed. Cannot imagine doing such distances. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

It's 37 degC in the shade out there with the sun beating down here in Pattaya.... I rode home from town the other day and the heat was making me light headed. Cannot imagine doing such distances. 

Quite cool by the seaside then.

Here in Buriram it's 38°C but the light coating of dust from the sugar cane lorries as they rumble past makes it seem hotter.

we drove up there 4 weeks ago, some very cool Khmer temple ruins that are very well kept up.  Nice hotel that accepted small dog and great restaurants. Yep was already hot but quite enjoyed the trip...

I really liked Buriram.  It's Surin until Monday, then off to somewhere else.  

4 hours ago, Muhendis said:

So Bobthegimp rode all the way from Pattaya to Paddy's Irish Bar in Buriram and finds it refreshing?

A change is as good as a rest.......

Takes all sorts I suppose

The irony wasn't lost on me, either.  I did eat pad krapow though, keepin' it real. 

Hotels are dirt cheap up here. It's nice to see young people working and enjoying themselves, even when it's pumping gas or behind the counter at 7-11.  Back home it's all immigrants doing those jobs now. 

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

From a trip to Chanthaburi last year.
IMG20230308082404.thumb.jpg.77d4208814f73f2a33a3c0d7b7edbc59.jpg

Did you pack a circus tent?  Can't beat the freedom of the road.  I love stories and pictures like those. Thanks for posting it. 

23 hours ago, Dolf said:

What is geezer music?

The kind where the geezers can't help but whistle and croon along with, ruining the peace of those around them.  Their weathered visages glaze over with happy memories of decades gone by.  I'm closer to 60 than 50 and haven't been thus afflicted...yet. 

20 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Been living there for 10 years, and I am still looking for one of those.

You've never quite made it to the London Steak then.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

You've never quite made it to the London Steak then.

Nope, and "London Steak" isn't exactly appealing for someone of my culture. So what's so great about it? I'd be grateful if you'd spare a couple of minutes to enlighten me.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Nope, and "London Steak" isn't exactly appealing for someone of my culture. So what's so great about it? I'd be grateful if you'd spare a couple of minutes to enlighten me.

Looks average in photos

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

Looks average in photos

Yes and here in Issan you need a robust gallbladder to handle the food. This place obviously isn't an exception. But I might try just to go to a new place. And maybe have a nice surprise.

There was also an ok Italian place, "Romano" I think that disappeared shortly after a move out of downtown. Klim near the hospital was a nice place, mostly for locals.

17 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

London Steak has both Thai and Western food and is frequented by as many Thais as westerners.

There is a choice between air conditioned or non-air conditioned seating.

The menu is huge.

The western menu has vegetarian as well as all the usual choices of fish, pork, chicken and, of course different steaks.

All foods are cooked well and generous portions.

No intrusive loud music.

Waitresses do their job well and for those that like such things they all have nice legs.

Wine is plentiful.

The restaurateur, Clayton, goes out of his way to take care of his customers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

London Steak has both Thai and Western food and is frequented by as many Thais as westerners.

The menu is huge.

The western menu has vegetarian as well as all the usual choices of fish, pork, chicken and, of course different steaks.

No intrusive loud music.

Waitresses do their job well and for those that like such things they all have nice legs.

Wine is plentiful.

Ok, I have suggested to my youngest daughter (8) that we could try this place, this will move up the hierarchy, the cat will make the final decision.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

The menu is huge.

No intrusive loud music.

Wine is plentiful.

Why would this place be better than Pattaya restaurants?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Ok, I have suggested to my youngest daughter (8) that we could try this place, this will move up the hierarchy, the cat will make the final decision.

Clayton also has daughters in that age group who occasionally put in an appearance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

Why would this place be better than Pattaya restaurants?

Dunno.

But I don't have to drive for 5+ hours to get to the London Steak.

Pattaya lost its "charm" when the Pig 'N Whistle went.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Pattaya lost its "charm" when the Pig 'N Whistle went.

I don't think we have the same idea about what a "great restaurant" is.
We accept that London Steak is the best option in Buriram for Western food, but that doesn't make it a great restaurant.
Anyway, thanks for the information, I'll make a note of it in case I ever go to Buriram.

And, of course, in Pattaya there are many great restaurants, both Western and Thai food, which is normal for such a touristy place.

None of them are English food, of course.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

The people up in Issan are a friendly bunch. I've seen a few attractive women as well.  

You know that the normal, standard Farang meets Issan women at Nana Plaza. Bangkok used to have Panthip Paza for IT stuff and Nana for sex. Panthip moved on line some years ago. Go to Nana before it gets too late. 

Don't want to get into Pattaya Soi 6... too sordid.

15 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

The people up in Issan are a friendly bunch. I've seen a few attractive women as well.  

Fortunate... whenever I went with the Mrs it was a parade of single toothed older fat ladies.... how can they work so hard in the fields and yet  be so overweight?

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2024 at 5:58 PM, Bobthegimp said:

Its a good run from Patts to Bruiram, have done it a few times on my XSR900.

Paddy's does decent burger with bacon and beetroot, I found the girls are fairly hard on the eye... maybe I was going there on the wrong days.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Its a good run from Patts to Bruiram, have done it a few times on my XSR900.

Paddy's does decent burger with bacon and beetroot, I found the girls are fairly hard on the eye... maybe I was going there on the wrong days.

Wear beer googles

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Did you see the Buriram pieman?

No, I didn't.  I'm Canadian and pies weren't a big thing growing up.  Does the guy in Buriram make decent pies? 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Fortunate... whenever I went with the Mrs it was a parade of single toothed older fat ladies.... how can they work so hard in the fields and yet  be so overweight?

You can't out train a bad diet.  I tried for decades and it didn't work. 

• Like 1