Bangkok airports hit turbulence: Ranked among world’s worst

webfact

7 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Okay but.....Hanoi's airport is the best?  Better than Singapore?  Hardly.

That speaks by itself the authenticity of the review!

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister’s Office spokesperson Chai Watcharong responded to the ranking on Twitter. He urged Thai people to carefully check the source of the rank before concluding or depreciating airports in Thailand.

Classic response......totally unconcerned that the ranking might reflect reality or that something should be done about it.......next line of defense will the.......... 'not as bad as Hitler'.......morons.

Don't know if it is still not been changed.. but at Suvarnabhumi Airport, the big map of the World, New Zealand is upside down. I mentioned it to someone in authority in 2016, but in 2018 it was still upside down... now imagine if some other country misrepresented Thailand... oh the screaming and the authorities would be balling their eyes out and making demands it was fixed together with toilet roll long apologies.. on another note, having just left BKK for Hong Kong.. there is no free Internet at BKK.. few power points.. Hong Kong, the Internet is free and lightening fast, and power sockets everywhere... maybe those running

Suvarnabhumi Airport are still using paper and fountain pens ?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Invasive scanners used because the management is so corrupt, anything they can spend big money on they will. People watching scanners sometimes look at their colleague and smile. Do they like what they see hidden inside? 

I thought it was up with the others although many new airports built worldwide since swampy was built.The new train station built and waiting for everything to connect to it.Once that happens connections and anything else will be something and people will say amazing station I,am sure.A airport can only do so much people enter and exit and transport to get there works for bkk.Overall I think swampy does what it says on the box

Say what you want.  I like Swampy.  Lots to see.  Lots to eat.  Convenient shopping for water and snacks.  Lots of purty girls.  Last month, I made my 11th arrival in the past year and in most cases I got through immigration long before my bags got to the carousel.  (knock wood I didn't just jinx it for this month's arrival).  Certainly better than an int'l arrival at most US airports, as if that's any gauge.

Immigration upon exit has been more of a scrum, but never too bad. 

My main suggestion would be to install more seating for waiting passengers. I'm one of those idiots that show up 3+ hours early so I don't risk missing my flight due to traffic or passport/boarding issues.  I suspect it's more airline related downstream of immigration, since most of my departures have been in the same area (D, I think) where I wait upstairs for the airline to open the stairs to the the hundreds of empty seats downstairs.  Seems like a shame to have passengers sitting on the floor with hundreds of empty seats a few yards away.

I've never flown int'l out of DMK, and have never been impressed the few times I flew domestic.  But never since Covid, so I couldn't rag on DMK from any first hand knowledge.

No idea what criteria this outfit use to arrive at their rankiings.  I'd rate Suvarnabhumi over Manchester for example, all day long.

Never had a problem at Suvarnabhumi whereas I've had to wait over 2 hours for my luggage to arrive on the carousel at Manchester, never seen the travelators in Terminal 2 working since a few months after it opened and you have to pay for trolleys.  Arrive at Manchester after 8pm and just about everything is closed...............the list goes on.

Went through BKK yesterday. Curious about the amazing technological advancements with the automatic gates.

Picture in my head according to reports was lots of gates with Thais and westerners going through them.

The reality, there were about 5 on each side of the escalators in the immigration hall.

Half turned off (1 side). The others were in the Thai only queue. 1 seemed to be broken or not being used.

been using it since it opened and can honestly say i've never had any issues or problems with the airport itself of immigration. it's not the best airport, it's not the worst, it's busy sometimes but then aren't all major airports busy sometimes?

i know it's subjective, but it doesn't have the most aesthetically pleasing or comfortable interior design, but it is basically fit for purpose.

• Like 1

Just now, it is what it is said:

been using it since it opened and can honestly say i've never had any issues or problems with the airport itself of immigration. it's not the best airport, it's not the worst, it's busy sometimes but then aren't all major airports busy sometimes?

i know it's subjective, but it doesn't have the most aesthetically pleasing or comfortable interior design, but it is basically fit for purpose.

having traveled widely i can absolutely confirm that it is nowhere near the world's worst airports, and anyone who thinks it is is ill informed.

Vietnam's two main airports are nasty, compared to BKK.

Way way way overpriced ($3 for a tin of beerish water VS 50c on the 'outside', water $2-10 inside for a 250ml bottle, 20 US cents outside for a 330ml bottle).

Super surly visa and immigration, oftentimes have to take a 5-15 minute bus to/from plane, boring airports as a whole.

BKK aint bad, it really aint bad, compared to what VN offers.

"Suvarnabhumi Airport experienced an electric system failure in its driverless automated people mover"

Can someone tell me more about this machine as a frequent airport visitor for about 20 years, I have never experienced it ?

UPDATE:

Govt questions ranking of Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang in ‘Worst Airport’ list by UK publisher

By Kittisak Phalaharn

image.jpeg

On March 5th, 2024, Mr. Chai Watcharong, the Thai Government spokesman, posted on X in response to Business Financing, a UK publisher, ranking Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang Airports in the worst airport list in Asia in 2023.

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1321852-govt-questions-ranking-of-suvarnabhumi-don-mueang-in-‘worst-airport’-list-by-uk-publisher/

Give me BKK any day of the week.  Where does Manchester England figure in the list of horror shows?  It's squalid; staffed by grumpy jumped-up little Hitlers and unbelievably expensive for every thing: arriving by car you get FIVE minutes to get your bags out of the vehicle and say tearful good-byes; this 'service costs ONE UKP per MINUTE!

• Thumbs Up 1