Jury begins deliberations in case against 'Rust' armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed

Social Media

image.png

Title: Deliberations Commence in 'Rust' Armorer Trial: Understanding the Complexities

As the trial against "Rust" armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed reaches a critical juncture, a jury has begun deliberations on the charges of involuntary manslaughter and evidence tampering brought against her. The case has captivated the public's attention, shedding light on the tragic events that unfolded on the film's set on October 21, 2021, resulting in the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injuries to director Joel Souza.

The central question at the heart of the trial revolves around how a live round of ammunition ended up in the prop gun wielded by actor Alec Baldwin. Prosecutors have argued that Gutierrez-Reed's negligence and safety failures played a significant role in the fatal shooting, while the defense has contended that Baldwin ultimately bears responsibility for the tragedy.

Throughout the trial, both sides presented compelling arguments and testimonies from eyewitnesses, including Souza himself, who vividly recounted the confusion and chaos that ensued after the shooting. Despite the emotional testimony and detailed evidence presented, the jury must now weigh the prosecution's assertions against the defense's rebuttals to determine Gutierrez-Reed's culpability.

The prosecution, led by Kari T. Morrissey, underscored the series of safety lapses that preceded the incident, emphasizing Gutierrez-Reed's alleged negligence in handling the firearms. Morrissey pointed out discrepancies between dummy rounds and live rounds and suggested that Gutierrez-Reed's actions were careless and thoughtless.

On the other hand, defense attorney Jason Bowles argued that the prosecution failed to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that Gutierrez-Reed was responsible for the live round's presence on set. Bowles contended that Baldwin's deviation from the script, rather than Gutierrez-Reed's actions, led to the tragic outcome.

The trial has also highlighted the emotional toll and remorse experienced by individuals involved in the production, such as Dave Halls, the film's safety coordinator, who admitted to lapses in his safety checks. Halls' testimony underscored the collective responsibility in ensuring a safe working environment on set.

As the jury deliberates, the outcome of Gutierrez-Reed's trial holds significant implications for the film industry's safety protocols and accountability measures. Regardless of the verdict, the trial serves as a sobering reminder of the inherent risks and complexities involved in filmmaking, particularly in high-pressure environments like movie sets.

Looking ahead, the trial for Alec Baldwin, charged with involuntary manslaughter, looms on the horizon, further underscoring the need for a thorough examination of safety practices and protocols within the industry.

As the legal proceedings unfold, the families of the victims, industry professionals, and the public await the jury's decision, hoping for justice and accountability in the wake of this tragic incident.

Reported by Dana Griffin and Sumiko Moots from Santa Fe, and Chloe Melas from New York City, the trial's conclusion will undoubtedly shape conversations around film industry safety standards for years to come.

Source

image.png

Ultimately Baldwin pulled the trigger without checking if the gun was loaded. His subsequent lies about not pulling the trigger were disproven when they dismantled and tested the gun. 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/gun-rust-shooting-fired-pulling-trigger-fbi-report/story?id=88311336

His arrogant, cavalier attitude and subsequent lies have been tough to watch. 

Edited by JonnyF

7 minutes ago, Tug said:

Wonder how long that incompetent failure of a wanna be armorer’s gonna get in the can?

Less time that the liar who pulled the trigger, hopefully. 

18 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Ultimately Baldwin pulled the trigger without checking if the gun was loaded. His subsequent lies about not pulling the trigger were disproven when they dismantled and tested the gun. 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/gun-rust-shooting-fired-pulling-trigger-fbi-report/story?id=88311336

His arrogant, cavalier attitude and subsequent lies have been tough to watch. 

If I was given a gun in a professional setting by an authorised armourer I doubt I would check if the gun was loaded properly

1) I assume the armourer has done their job properly

2) I have no idea what a blank bullet looks like

4 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

If I was given a gun in a professional setting by an authorised armourer I doubt I would check if the gun was loaded properly

1) I assume the armourer has done their job properly

2) I have no idea what a blank bullet looks like

But you probably haven't received the training that you always check if a gun is loaded before pointing it at someone and pulling the trigger. You probably haven't been trained how to tell a live round from a blank. 

Baldwin had received that training many times. He ignored it. 

Either way, you'd both be up on charges of involuntary manslaughter. 

Baldwin is wealthy and well connected, so it is quite possible he can evade responsibility for his part of this tragic case. It's America after all. 

Baldwins gun was supposed to be loaded, not empty. But it was supposed to have dummy rounds loaded. not blanks.

Blanks are very easy to identify but dummy rounds would be very similar to a live round although there should be some feature to tell them apart.

Big difference between a dummy round and a blank round. people have been killed by blank rounds. A “blank” doesn't have a slug in it, but it still has an explosive charge. If it goes off too close to you, the blast can cause injury, or even death. Some blank cartridges also contain wadding that can be propelled into your body.

But in any case he lied about not pulling the trigger. Forensics proved that.