Cat has serious flu...worth saving?

My 7 month cat has a serious case of the flu or something close to it.

Laboured breathing, raspy sound from the lungs and some blood discharge from the mouth...

Three days already and zero food or water.

A visit to a vet would be the obvious step but I'm looking at a 1000 with multiple visits/injections

As a farang ,obviously I'm a prime target for overcharging etc.

Seasoned cat owners out there...u think the little guy can survive with no help or not? He has a strong constitution ,for what it's worth                     Btw...his mother has another litter nearby and will be dumped on me in a month or so..😁

• Sad 5

8 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

If you cant afford a vet, don't keep a pet

It would have fared better on the street?

The mother is a street cat...she found refuge in my place (part time, at least)

From the sound of those symptoms I'd say it's terminal. 

Kittens and elderly cats rarely survive. 

When I was living in Chiang Mai the missus decided on adopting 2 cats.  She neglected to get them fixed. 

About 1 year later we had 27 cats!  Fortunately/unfortunately they got hit by the cat flu.  Same symptoms and cause the can't smell they don't eat. 

They ended up basically starving to death. Not a good sight and it wasn't pleasant disposing of so many bodies. 

So no real good news I'm afraid 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Incorrect... not my cats.  I never wanted them and told her so at the start. 

If you don't want them, the more reason to get them fixed. As you now found out the problem will get bigger.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I know people in the US who have spent upwards of $20,000 trying to save a pet's life. I cannot relate to spending alot of money doing that, but I am not a pet person, and have not been for the past 45 years. I know how attached people can get to their pets. If you are talking about 1,000 baht, to try to save the cat's life, that is nothing. If you are unwilling to spend that amount, you are either callous or seriously broke. Either way, you should not have a pet.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Seems you don't care about the cat at all. 1000 thb is nothing if you did.

Spend 20K+ at the best animal hospital in BKK once, sadly the cat didn't make it. Have a new one now and would have no problem to spend it again when needed.

Plenty if humans out there in dire need of 20k.

Oh..U forgot..you are a misanthrope.

A street cat (or any cat) doesn't warrant 1000b in my world.

Food and shelter is all they gonna get.

Have a nice day.

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, VinnieK said:

We have many stray cats in our compound where in the past some have survived what looked like a severe case of flu.

Very important the cat is drinking, if it refuses force using a syringe. Remove any discharge from around eyes, mouth and nose, keep in a quiet place away from other cats.

Edited by Fruit Trader

If you keep a cat, or any other animal, you are taking on the responsibility for its care.  Take it to the vet as possible and try to help the poor animal..

My experience of Thai vets is that they do not overcharge farangs, but care for the animal.  Why do you think that 1000B will be the vet's fee. 

A small sum  to keep n animal alive.  Pay up you miserable cheapskate.

In my mind cats are vermin, and the world's most damaging invasive species, possible exception of rats. 

However, if you take and care for any animal (even a rat) you are then responsible for it.  

So you should take it to the vet to get treatment. 

• Sad 1

On 3/7/2024 at 8:42 AM, VinnieK said:

Laboured breathing, raspy sound from the lungs and some blood discharge from the mouth...

A visit to a vet would be the obvious step but I'm looking at a 1000 with multiple visits/injections

Seasoned cat owners out there...u think the little guy can survive with no help or not? He has a strong constitution ,for what it's worth                     Btw...his mother has another litter nearby and will be dumped on me in a month or so..😁

Any animals life is worth trying to save and 1000 baht isn’t a lot of money to do that. I don’t know where you live but here in pattaya we have an animal hospital which is very cheap. 
It’s the animal army hospital in Bansaray tel 0850935954 Dr Kwanchai. 
the cats urgently needs fluids and antibiotics which don’t cost that much.

pls do the right thing and take the cat to a vet ASAP 

• Agree 2

On 3/8/2024 at 2:22 AM, jak2002003 said:

In my mind cats are vermin, and the world's most damaging invasive species, possible exception of rats. 

Nonsense, and dogs are a lot worse, they form packs and attack humans in the streets. Cats never do this unless you try yo handle them. They can also behave live jealous wives.

• Haha 1

Yes, the cat is worth saving.  Remember that all feral cats suffer the plight that they do because of us.  Do the right thing.  Life is life.  

Very sadly, he is better off dying than being with you given your heartless attitude. You appear far more concerned about the cost of a visit to the vet than you care about his welfare. Disturbing, to say the least.

Feline flu is not terminal if treated.  The fact that you have not taken it for shots or checked out tellse you really should not have a pet or a gf.

If you won't look after the cat what would you do with a gf that hot sick 

1 hour ago, 33 RPM said:

well i'd be interested in the course of action when you catch the flu

Lol then he will be whining about getting all the meds and over spend 

33 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Feline flu is not terminal if treated.  The fact that you have not taken it for shots or checked out tellse you really should not have a pet or a gf.

If you won't look after the cat what would you do with a gf that hot sick 

It's only her buffalo that gets sick. :whistling:

On 3/8/2024 at 2:22 AM, jak2002003 said:

However, if you take and care for any animal (even a rat) you are then responsible for it.  

So you should take it to the vet to get treatment. 

I think you are the ideal person to eutanise that cat.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DD86 said:

I think you are the ideal person to eutanise that cat.

Haha. I would feed it to my snake. 

Seriously though, he need to get it treated if it's living in his house and his pet.. 

He also needs to get it fixed so it won't reproduce.