Illegal migrant labour and sex work challenge Thailand’s tourism

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Pinijkarn added that Pattaya’s reputation has evolved, with the city now offering a wider range of products targeting families, sports, and other recreational activities, shifting away from its previous image of being primarily focused on nightlife and sex tourism.

How is that related to the raised question and problem?!?! Just bla-bla-bla. Shouldn't he suggest one of the solutions?!

"Thanet believes that the majority of operators would prefer to legally employ local workers and foreign workers with work permits if the process were simpler, to avoid potential penalties. However, the current immigration process is complicated and inconvenient, causing some operators to resort to illegal recruitment".

Thanet is either unaware of the MOU between Maynamr, Laos and Cambodia or simply choosing to forget about it. Passport holders from these 3 countries have no need to be in Thailand illegally and wouldn't be if employers stopped paying a pittance for a days work. 

The problem with the Filipinos is easily resolved........sign an MOU with The Philiipines. The sheer volume of Filipinos that are here would see a huge spike in revenues for the government, be a huge plus employers who would no longer need to hire illegal workes from The Philippines cause they'd all be legal, plus the border crossings would clear as they wouldn;t be doing visa runs every 15 or 30 days.

I can't see any reason for the Philippines gov.t to resist a move loke this as the revenues that their government take in from Immigration would rise substantially in addition the the revenues that are sent home from Thailand to Philippines.

There literally 1000's of filipinas work as domestic workers and they have no option but to work illegally atm which also places the families that hire them at risk because they're hiring illegal workers - often in ignorance. 

But hey! That would need someone in the Government to do something constructive for a change. 

Thaksin instigated the MOU with Myanmar, Laos & Cambodia so maybe there is a chance something might be done. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

There are a LOT of industries in Thailand that are currently having troubles with illegal workers from 3rd world countries who arrived on this idiotic Visa free entry scheme - which was all in the name of tourism growing the economy.  They are taking jobs and income away from Thais - and most of them are sending their money back home and then coming back later in the year to do it all again and again and again. 

Also a lott of Filipino trans are attracted to Thailand due to a combination of cheap plastic surgery and freely available hormones. Punters are just a plus.

• Thumbs Up 1

“Thanet suggests the government should legalise sex work. Like in certain European countries, this would bring the industry out of the shadows,”

sex work is in the shadows? Seems fairly front and center in your face to me.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

foreigners illegally working in the service industry in Pattaya

So service industry it called the prostitution in Thailand.... Good to know But are Thais not doing the same for example in Korea or in Saudi Arabia? I know people who have a Schengen visa for Poland but works in the service industry in another country....Blaming the pot and the kettle

• Agree 1

Were these spokespersons born on Mars because they're from a different planet to the rest of us? Do they really believe the words they are using to describe the situation in Pattaya are honest, truthful and summarise the current set of circumstances? If this is the best Thailand can offer then the country is in serious trouble. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

There are a LOT of industries in Thailand that are currently having troubles with illegal workers from 3rd world countries who arrived on this idiotic Visa free entry scheme - which was all in the name of tourism growing the economy.  They are taking jobs and income away from Thais - and most of them are sending their money back home and then coming back later in the year to do it all again and again and again. 

what bul....they taking away the jobs..and thais taking away the jobs of others in ither coutntry and so on

cheap balbla ..their are no( not enough) thais who want cleaning jobs,carwash, waiter,and so on

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya is a hotspot for illegal foreign labour, housing unskilled workers from Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, India, and the Philippines.

Likewise the Lower Sukhumvit Free Trade Zone in Bangkok. Restaurants and shops entirely staffed by non Thais.

I saw jewelry factories staffed with more than a half of illegals. The owner (very nice thai man) told me it costs about 20K per month in envelope and everything quite and tranquil. Besides they (labor) lived in the building nearby. 

Kamphenphet area, deep into soi.

30 minutes ago, lapamita said:

what bul....they taking away the jobs..and thais taking away the jobs of others in ither coutntry and so on

cheap balbla ..their are no( not enough) thais who want cleaning jobs,carwash, waiter,and so on

What you are saying has been that way for many years - it has changed.

What changed is Thailand changed the Visa rules, and now there are a LOT MORE poeple illegally working in Thailand who are here on these new longer and very easy Visas - fact.

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

The Burmese, Lao and Cambodians are doing jobs that Thais refuse to do.

Many Thais, even though they have nothing, think any form of manual work is beneath them.

I know groups of Cambodians working for CP Foods, transport logistics near Suvarnabhumi, etc all these guys were legal with 2-year work permits by the way.

They smile and laugh quietly and have told me that Thais just do not last long doing these jobs, and their employers prefer Cambodians.

BTW they weren't working cheaper than Thais, all were equal in salary. They saved money by all living in one room and sharing food.

So nobody is stealing Thai jobs, they don't want the work.

Wrong.  That has been the case for a long time - no dispute.  There has been a lot of legals and illegals in the past.

BUT since they changed the Visa rules - free easier and longer - a lot more people are in Thailand working illegally. This issue with the Philippinos is only one group - there are many more across a lot of industries.   

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Migrant workers, who have illegally entered Thailand by taking advantage of visa-free privileges, continue to pose a challenge in the country’s tourism sector, particularly within the sex industry. This issue has led to calls from operators for the government to legalise sex work

Great idea, just think of the tax the government could rake in, not just from the businesses but from the individual incomes... if they declare their true income that is.

5 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

So nobody is stealing Thai jobs, they don't want the work.

I am kinda curious what the Thais who used to do those jobs are doing for money now - they can't all be "little ghosts" making more money in Korea.

The impression I get in lower Sukhumvit is that there has been a decision by the business  to staff it with non Thais. This, rather than they can't get Thais - although that said, I am also hearing of difficulty getting Thai staff.

4 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Wrong.  That has been the case for a long time - no dispute.  There has been a lot of legals and illegals in the past.

BUT since they changed the Visa rules - free easier and longer - a lot more people are in Thailand working illegally. This issue with the Philippinos is only one group - there are many more across a lot of industries.   

There is and was nothing wrong with what I have stated with personal knowledge of these facts and of the Cambodians in question.

I never mentioned the Philippines.

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I am kinda curious what the Thais who used to do those jobs are doing for money now - they can't all be "little ghosts" making more money in Korea.

The impression I get in lower Sukhumvit is that there has been a decision by the business  to staff it with non Thais. This, rather than they can't get Thais - although that said, I am also hearing of difficulty getting Thai staff.

A lot of Thais are working away in Korea, but also in Israel and other countries, such as fruit and vegetable industries in Europe.

I know Isaarn women working in the Middle East etc...........I don't think they are all domestic servants.

In some of the tourist hotspots that I have been to when having a trip around, I found many Burmese working in hospitality in Koh Samui, and a large amount of Cambodians working in Koh Chang as well.

Even many of the housekeeping in the resorts and maintenance workers were Cambodians.

1 hour ago, Jack Hammer said:

There is no prostitution in Thailand. It has been repeatedly confirmed by the highest ranking of officials.

By some of the same people who say there's no ping pong shows in Soi Bangla.