Recommendations wanted: I need a good builder for condo renovation in Jomtien

I've got a project in the pipeline for renovation in the Jomtien area - to start in a few months. At this stage I need some recommendations for a trustworthy & reliable builder with a track record locally.

It's not a complete strip-out & rebuild; rather a refurbishment of a bathroom and some other minor maintenance & install of fittings in the remainder of this 2 B/R unit.

Quality, reliability & professionalism is more important to me than the price, but that said I do have a budget and it's not unlimited. I'd like to see some completed (or near-completed) projects and talk to those owners.

Edited by AverageAussie
Typo

recommendations for a trustworthy & reliable builder with a track record locally

No such animal, most if not all builders/ Reno contractors will start with Ernest, do most of the work but than  while

asking for more payments, slow to a crawl or will play hard to get to finish the job, been there couple pf times...

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, ezzra said:

recommendations for a trustworthy & reliable builder with a track record locally

No such animal, most if not all builders/ Reno contractors will start with Ernest, do most of the work but than  while

asking for more payments, slow to a crawl or will play hard to get to finish the job, been there couple pf times...

Not going to get into an extended & futile debate about that.

There's good & bad everywhere and obviously there are some expats around that seen their project completed in a timely manner and up to expectations. I've been there too; got an excellent builder with pride in their work. But it was a long time ago & he's been whisked off to the US with his partner - so no longer even in the country. Was I lucky and picked the only one ever?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AverageAussie said:

There's good & bad everywhere and obviously there are some expats around that seen their project completed in a timely manner and up to expectations

The problem is that majority of these contractors are self-taught, so many mistakes are made because they don’t know any better.

My own “high end” building has all the classical mistakes, like lack of reinforcement or flexible material in the right places, so cracks everywhere, incorrect sloping of floors and balconies, so water doesn’t run toward the drains, incorrect venting in the plumbing, so some rooms will get sewage smell, tiles having insufficient bonding with the substrate, so some have popped up, outside metal has not been galvanized, so it is corroding, soft and porous tiles used near the salt water swimming pool, so these are eroding, a.s.o.

1 hour ago, AverageAussie said:

he's been whisked off to the US with his partner

So he had a foreign partner?

A good combination is to have a foreigner (with building experience) oversee things, they should know most of the pitfalls and tend to have higher quality standards.

I have come across a few skilled Thai workers, but they worked for companies, so not doing odd jobs for expats.

Edited by lkn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AverageAussie said:

I've got a project in the pipeline for renovation in the Jomtien area - to start in a few months. At this stage I need some recommendations for a trustworthy & reliable builder with a track record locally.

It's not a complete strip-out & rebuild; rather a refurbishment of a bathroom and some other minor maintenance & install of fittings in the remainder of this 2 B/R unit.

Quality, reliability & professionalism is more important to me than the price, but that said I do have a budget and it's not unlimited. I'd like to see some completed (or near-completed) projects and talk to those owners.

I think you will have to look hard to find anyone interested in s small job these days .They all seem busy with big jobs ! 

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Ask on Facebook Pattaya groups, however you'll get plenty of shady frang offering their service

ah, but in the new Thailand, you can simply have them deported. 

A friend of mine had 3 bathrooms renovated and a some other work done around his house.  The company used is "Expat Property Shop".  They're located in Pattaya on Thepprasit Road, contact information:

Phone: 095 005 6906

Email:  noi AT expat-property-shop.com

Google "Expat Property Shop Pattaya" for their web site.

The owner is American.

Edited by Rimmer
email address removed
  • Thanks 1