Will Bangkok’s mission to clear footpaths ruin street-food paradise?

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm always amazed by people who really think that the BMA can take over privately owned, taxed land, pave it, install bathrooms, tents and tables and turn that private property into businesses for someone else without permission?   Could you explain how they could do that?

Who's advocating that they do it without permission?

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, impulse said:
29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm always amazed by people who really think that the BMA can take over privately owned, taxed land, pave it, install bathrooms, tents and tables and turn that private property into businesses for someone else without permission?   Could you explain how they could do that?

Who's advocating that they do it without permission?

You, judging by your post...

"I'm always amazed they don't use the empty lots..."

If I did misinterpret your comment, then you must be suggesting that the BMA buys up or leases this private land, something that its budget doesn't allow for?   I see.

• Confused 1

On 3/8/2024 at 5:32 PM, proton said:

Salt, sugar, msg, rats and roaches running about cooking often poor quality food in old palm oil served on not very clean plates and bowls. Not my idea of paradise.

so bugger off and eat somewhere your reductive dismissal of street cuisine is appreciated.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

Hong Kong, Malaysia & Singapore just moved the street carts into food courts and hawker centres, why is this such a problem for Thailand?

Night market with a roof is the best way to have this sort of thing. Proper toilets. Proper fridges. That way the food is more hygenic. Khon Kaen has this.

I don't think the street food stalls should be got rid of but an alternative space should be found for them - similar to a marketplace. Don't just ban the culture, adapt it for modern times.

Anything that causes you to step off the footpath on a busy main road is a danger to most of us but imagine how it is for a disabled person?  Bangkok needs to seriously address all aspects of access for its disabled citizens and tourists.

Likewise the fruit (etc.) vendors alongside fast moving highways - downright dangerous as Thai's see something 'arroy' and suddenly stop.  These could be dealt with by providing proper laybys that are fenced off from the highway.  Granted, impulse buying would end but many lives and injuries would be saved.

Brits - can you imagine fruit stalls on the M1?😁

31 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Night market with a roof is the best way to have this sort of thing. Proper toilets. Proper fridges. That way the food is more hygenic. Khon Kaen has this.

Oh aye,  sure.

Ever seen how they use a fridge?

Open one of them up n have a look.

You'd think they put a pig in there with a stick of dynamite about a year or two ago n just left it.....and continued to use it.

Edited by FruitPudding
A year ago is being too generous

3 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Oh aye,  sure.

You'd think they put a pig in there with a stick of dynamite about a year or two ago n just left it.....and continued to use it.

Well I never got food poisoning at KK. Decent set up. 

43 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Oh aye,  sure.

Och, aye. 

Aren't they the worst?

It's a wonder they can feed themselves without dying by the thousands every day. 

Like children every one,  just look around 

17 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Och, aye. 

Aren't they the worst?

It's a wonder they can feed themselves without dying by the thousands every day. 

Like children every one,  just look around 

Naw, they can take care of themselves alright. 

Their children, on the other hand...

On 3/9/2024 at 7:00 AM, hotchilli said:

Freedom of choice, eat street food or go find a posh restaurant, stop this banning stuff. 

They have probably banned everything in whatever heavily regulated western paradise he hails from, he's just trying to feel at home!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I think the proposal is that the owners of that land would receive an income - perhaps handy towards paying some taxes on it?

Mind you, there may be a requirement for some fairly robust management - one thinks back to Sukhumvit Square!

Edited by herfiehandbag

On 3/8/2024 at 5:32 PM, proton said:

Salt, sugar, msg, rats and roaches running about cooking often poor quality food in old palm oil served on not very clean plates and bowls. Not my idea of paradise.

On 3/9/2024 at 4:00 AM, Rampant Rabbit said:

Govt has  failed since forever, witness  many roads with no pavement  at  all forcing pedestrians onto the road entirely. Poor  planning by city planners

On 3/9/2024 at 9:17 AM, Grumpy one said:

Roast Rat stuffed with Roaches and Rice, sounds like it should be on the menu  😋

4 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Yeah, and they use their hand to wipe if a bum gun isn't available. 

seems that the overall consensus of street food here is not that favorable. there are a few who see street food with Rosy retrospection, but i agree that it is produced in an unhealthy way by people who generally have a disregard for cleanliness. these 'cooks' will taste the food and dump the spoon right in without cleaning it and keep stirring. their sweat falls into the broth and their boogers add to the 'delicious taste' so many here crave for. if those here who like street food can tolerate an unsanitary way of cooking it makes me wonder about their sanitary standards at home

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stocky said:

Hong Kong, Malaysia & Singapore just moved the street carts into food courts and hawker centres, why is this such a problem for Thailand?

Thais don't like to be organised.

15 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

No, I mean with their hand and a bucket of water.

I fail to see the distinction. I rather wash my ass and my hand, than faff about with paper

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

But do they wash their hand after?

Every one of "them"?

I reckon its rather difficult to speak for an entire nation of street vendors -- despite your insistence on doing so. 

• Sad 1

"Under the draft, vendors must register, with strict income thresholds ensuring assistance for those truly in need."

Does this mean that if you have low income from stall, probably due to awful product no one wants to buy, you can have a stall. But once you serve up some quality item that 'sells like pancakes' & you're making a decent living, it's time to be put out of business...

Regarding quality of street food: I've been living here for 23 years straight, started visits in 82. I don't get sick from street food. KFC is another matter. Be prudent on who you buy from: it's all right in front of you; use your eyes and judgement.

On 3/10/2024 at 4:49 PM, Dolf said:

Street food is never much good. 

The goals are inexpensive and fast.

Taste can be adjusted with extra condiments.

There are many levels of street food quality, so there are some good options at the higher end of that scale. These probably start with quality ingredients, cooked to order, with a balanced flavor profile that does not distract from the ingredients.