What happened to Khaosan Road?

3 minutes ago, Enoon said:

The majority of every generation says more or less the same things as you do.

They firmly confirm, as you do, that they belong to yesterday.

You are old.

Old?🥳

Yes please!

If I had a choice I would like to be 3000 years old.

A living repository of all wisdom that's ever been.

Cool stuff is cool forever and techno, facial tattoos and drug-augmented stupidity are never cool.

There.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

What has happened? is this chaos being organized by someone?

is there some kind of committee that meets up and allows this to happen?

It got taken over by the morons that infest every aspect of life in every country now. I get that garbage loud noise inflicted on me by morons, and I'm not even in Thailand.

It was in evidence in Thai Gogos long ago when moron DJs started playing the garbage noise too loudly early this century.

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

What has happened?

Nothing changed - what you described is pretty much how its always been.

The only difference is that you became old and tainted....   and turned into a GoM unless drunk.... 

That probably applies to many of us.

In the noughties... we'd go out in KSR every few nights... it was a great place to be (and was not just foreigners, but lots of places that a majority of Thai's went to...  Bangkok Bar, Austins, Suzies....   also the Club in its earlier years). 

I wouldn't dream of going out there now...  as much fun as it used to be, I'm not interested in that party lifestyle anymore - I've grown out of it and dinner with plenty of friends is more my thing.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nothing changed - what you described is pretty much how its always been.

The only difference is that you became old and tainted....   and turned into a GoM unless drunk.... 

That probably applies to many of us.

In the noughties... we'd go out in KSR every few nights... it was a great place to be (and was not just foreigners, but lots of places that a majority of Thai's went to...  Bangkok Bar, Austins, Suzies....   also the Club in its earlier years). 

I wouldn't dream of going out there now...  as much fun as it used to be, I'm not interested in that party lifestyle anymore - I've grown out of it and dinner with plenty of friends is more my thing.

Sorry Richard, but I strongly disagree.

KSR is not the same as it once was.

There is an active attempt to change it into a world famous pub/club street now.

Back in the day there was a more chilled out vibe to it, it definitely wasn't as loud and there were no balloon heads choking themselves to death on that nitros oxide.

It was a backpacker haven with people in dreds listening to reggae and there were live bands on every corner, playing everything from the 50's onwards. Last weekend there wasn't a live band in sight.

KSR has lost what magic it once had, it has turned into a cesspit of overindulgence and aggressive touts.

Now it looks like something magaluf forgot to do.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

25 years ago was great as a backpacker hub, haven't been for about 20 years sounds like not worth it

It still is...  The difference is that you are 25 years older...   As am I, I wouldn't dream of going there now... 

But, in my 20's and even early 30's... it was great...   

... So was RCA (Route 66 / Slim / 808)... So was Ekammai / Tonglor (Zantika, Booze, Funky Villa, Song Salung, Escudo, Taurus), then others further up the road near Langsuan... (70's bar)...   also a loads of Thai clubs and bars I'd go to with Thai friends or a mix of Thai foreign friends.... 

Loads of places... All excellent, but I've outgrown them, as have most of my friends...  We just don't 'do that stuff anymore' because were older... and yes, those places are just way to loud (they always were but we'd put up with it at the time).

• Agree 1

Remember that old person or neighbor who looked grumpy when you were partying as a youngster? You have become that old person. There's nothing wrong with that.

We need old people to remind us that we don't live forever. It makes the young party harder and they forget for a brief while with beer bongs & loud music, that someday, they also will be that old person.

We need young people parting to remind us, as we get old, that loud music and drunken reverly are not what they once were, at least not in the same way.

It helps us to realize that we may need to glimpse over our shoulder and see an even grumpier older person, dead ahead, with white long beard or black flowing cape, expecting our arrival shortly, with much wine and merriment..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

over the weekend I was in Bangkok visiting an old friend and he took me out for the day.

We landed at Khaosan road around 4pm.

for the first 2/3 hours it was OK,

the smell of weed was in the air and everyone was pretty chill.

then nighttime came.

the first big speakers were wheeled out in front of us and the music was deafening.

then next door did the same,

then the next bar,

and then next next.

until it was a complete mish mash of noise and blare. 

the music on offer was a horrendous mix of EDM and pop song remixes.

Laughing gas was being tooted right out of the cannister by almost everyone around us.

it was so loud we could no longer hold a coherent conversation over our beer and I could hardly hear myself think.

We lasted 20 minutes in that atmosphere before we got in a taxi and headed back to his place.

This was the first time I had been to khaosan road in years.

What has happened? is this chaos being organized by someone?

is there some kind of committee that meets up and allows this to happen?

i'm sure that many locals in that area are not happy with what is currently going on,

not to mention holidaymakers with hotel windows facing directly on to the road itself..

bob.

Congratulations, you are a codger.

Other than that, I really don't see how this is much different than it ever was. 

The last time I hit Khao San freshly post-COVID, I found it dull and depressing with very little going on. 

Good to hear it's making a comeback.

As for the music, it has always been lowest common denominator <deleted>, 

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

Remember that old person or neighbor who looked grumpy when you were partying as a youngster? You have become that old person. There's nothing wrong with that.

We need old people to remind us that we don't live forever. It makes the young party harder and they forget for a brief while with beer bongs & loud music, that someday, they also will be that old person.

We need young people parting to remind us, as we get old, that loud music and drunken reverly are not what they once were, at least not in the same way.

It helps us to realize that we may need to glimpse over our shoulder and see an even grumpier older person, dead ahead, with white long beard or black flowing cape, expecting our arrival shortly, with much wine and merriment..

Doesn't that mean humanity is stuffed. Listening to crap music and getting drunk.

Is that all the youth can do?

Aliens land tomorrow they would laugh at humans. 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agree..  places evolve and develop. 

If you are looking for a load of back-packers in dreadlocks all watching Titanic in a bar thats not KSR anymore. 

But, it is still a back-packers 'go to area' in Thailand....  the difference is the back-packers have also evolved with it. 

Fundamentally, KSR remains the same - its a place that attracts young foreign tourists and back-packers....  always has, that has not changed.

The difference also is that the young foreign tourists are no longer that stereotyped dreadlocks, guitar, Reggie listening, wearing elephant pants waking around barefooted etc...  (although many still try for that look)...  

The place always was extremely busy, very loud etc... I'm not sure that 'chilled out vibe' was ever there in the evening... It was just a place to go out and have fun. 

KSR, PAi and Phi Phi all the same vibe. Dreadlocks, tatts and bob marley.

3 hours ago, VinnieK said:

around 2000 the 'party animals' came, with their garbage music

tell us more about this garbage music?

Could it be possible that we have codgers on this thread spanning multiple generations?

late 90's early 2000's Kahosan was for picking up nubile young traveler, girls taking em back to the house offering them a hot bath/shower and a night of air con.

lovely 

When is the last time you been there, it is been like that for like a decade. That is the same anywhere too, including full moon. EDM is the norm.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Agree 1

Just now, n00dle said:

late 90's early 2000's Kahosan was for picking up nubile young traveler, girls taking em back to the house offering them a hot bath/shower and a night of air con.

lovely 

I was there.

did all that.

also the kind of people that frequent KSR now, the general demographic seems to have changed.

Nobody talks to strangers anymore, everyone is so engrossed in their instagram posts that they can't be bothered with genuine human interaction.

That was a huge draw for me about the place back in the day.

bob.

2 hours ago, Dolf said:

Then they made love

i must admit i thought the same thing.

even mental images can be difficult to unsee

Edited by n00dle
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dolf said:

KSR, PAi and Phi Phi all the same vibe. Dreadlocks, tatts and bob marley.

Lol nonsense, all the parties are full of loud EDM and buckets. It is actually a minority by now to live with bob marley style. There is plenty of good parties and music on phangan for example but the mainstream things anywhere is long time gone from that.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

I was there.

did all that.

also the kind of people that frequent KSR now, the general demographic seems to have changed.

Nobody talks to strangers anymore, everyone is so engrossed in their instagram posts that they can't be bothered with genuine human interaction.

That was a huge draw for me about the place back in the day.

bob.

it was much more Thai last time I seriously went out there, It has been a while