HTMS Khirirat on fire in Sattahip, three injured

snoop1130

54 minutes ago, John Drake said:

And torpedoes. 

Hmm yea I'd have assumed that without engines and therefore power they wont be able to control anything but I'm sure they'll manage to fire them somehow anyways. 🙂

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

It is beyond belief  Thai's can not operate machinery correctly,  There is No safety or quality in Thailand,

Just those useless Thais right Mike?

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Initial reports said three Navy officers were injured and that the fire was caused after a firearm from HTMS Chonburi, docking nearby, was accidentally discharged

Friendly fire can be deadly... boys and guns again.

• Like 1

I watched a vid of this yesterday (BP), and the fire service turned up, it was pathetic how useless they were. In a real navy, crew would have been putting out the fire. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I watched a vid of this yesterday (BP), and the fire service turned up, it was pathetic how useless they were. In a real navy, crew would have been putting out the fire. 

Be interested in hearing more on why/what you thought was wrong with the fire service response.

I give you a few facts of the incident.

1. HTMS Khirirat, was moored at the time of the incident and was not fully crewed.

2. The fire service in the videos are all from the Sattahip Navy Fire Station, and are all full time military personnel.

3. The fire was extinguished quickly and most of the videos are showing smoke clearance, hence a water jet away from the ship causing a venturi effect, common way to clear smoke. See video below.

4. Local Thai government fire services attended, but were stood down and not required, by the Navy Commander in charge.

5. The Navy fire crews, would be under the command of the Navy Commander in charge, and following their orders.

6. With the ship moored, the question of stability, location of fire, what systems can be effected by fire or water have to be considered before fire fighting commences.

7. Moored ships when large amounts of firefighting water are added, will affect the buoyancy and water should never be allowed to accumulate in areas which affect the ship’s stability.

8. Injuries were mostly from smoke inhalation, either from crew evacuation or initial firefighting attempts without breathing apparatus.