The uncomfortable truth about Kate and William that nobody wants to admit

Social Media

how much do all those <self censure> in the world cost the working people...

do they keep the country together or unite ?  what a <self censure>

and in this country they put you in jail on top  if you dare to comment or amend an outdated law

Edited by john donson

36 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I actually think that the UK would be better off without a monarchy, but I also believe in accuracy and pointing out relevant facts.

Royal assent was last refused in the UK in 1708. As far as I'm concerned, what happens with the Belgian monarchy has no relevance to the UK's monarchy, in the same way that what happens in the Belgian parliament has no relevance to proceedings in the UK parliament.

I agree that what happens constitutionally in Belgium (almost) never has any effect in the UK; I didn't claim that it did. I merely pointed out the similarities between our two nations' constitutions and how the powers invested in the Monarch can lead to problems.

It's good that Royal Ascent hasn't been refused in the UK for over 300 years. Let's play it safe and remove any lingering temptation that may exist to use it.

On 3/18/2024 at 3:57 PM, RayC said:

The author of the article, Tessa Dunlop, is an historian and describes herself as a "soft" monarchist. So much for republican bias.

Soft in the head more like.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RayC said:

I agree that what happens constitutionally in Belgium (almost) never has any effect in the UK; I didn't claim that it did. I merely pointed out the similarities between our two nations' constitutions and how the powers invested in the Monarch can lead to problems.

It's good that Royal Ascent hasn't been refused in the UK for over 300 years. Let's play it safe and remove any lingering temptation that may exist to use it.

Did you mean Royal Assent?

To me the most likely problem was an eating disorder. I noticed in pics some time ago she was looking a bit like a stick figure.

I see Chomper suggested this early in the thread.

• Haha 1

What would all the tabloid hacks do if there was no British Royal Family?

There's a whole army online, TV, and in the press who do nothing but  'comment'  every time Kate blinks.

I wish the whole family would resign and take up proper jobs, if only to see all those prurient media leeches out of work and down at the job centre.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Agree. Even after this news, our resident AN experts continue to demonstrate their own "disorders".

Hoping that Kate's real doctors will be successful, and soon. 

It's really sad and telling to see the comments.

I am no fan of Harry's wife but if she was diagnosed with cancer I wouldn't propagate nasty rumours about her having an eating disorder. 

I guess it exposes the #bekind crew once again. Anyone with empathy would retract not double down. 

I just wish her the best and hope she doesn't read too much of the vitriol here and across X.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Wow. Have some class. The woman has been diagnosed with cancer and you still want to continue to disparage her with your "eating disorder" gossip.

Maybe best to just accept it was a horrible thing to say, apologise and move on. We all say things we regret. Stop digging. 

You’ll find my comment on the matter of Kate’s cancer diagnosis in the thread that has been opened specifically for that sad news.

If you feel the need to make use of this awful news to score points off your soap box please leave me out of it.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I am no fan of Harry's wife but if she was diagnosed with cancer I wouldn't propagate nasty rumours about her having an eating disorder. 

So that's what it will take for you to stop your regular disgorging of bile and hatred towards her? That's quite an ask on your part.

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I just wish her the best and hope she doesn't read too much of the vitriol here and across X.

My understanding is that she's a regular visitor to these hallowed boards.

• Agree 1

On 3/18/2024 at 11:09 AM, RayC said:

Why rubbish?

Assuming that the UK constitution doesn't change and that he doesn't predecease his father, William will be the next unelected UK Head of State so issues surrounding him are of public interest.

I hope that his wife recovers from her health problems but if there are aspects of his life - such as his obvious concern for her well-being - which might restrict his ability to perform his future role effectively then the public should be aware of the fact. The public also has every right to know how he is likely to approach his future role. 

If William is unable and/or unwilling to meet those conditions then he should step aside. We could then install a Head of State who is democratically elected by the UK electorate.

quote "If William is unable and/or unwilling to meet those conditions then he should step aside. We could then install a Head of State who is democratically elected by the UK electorate."

In your last sentence can you please explain who "we" are?

You are certainly NOT speaking for me, when you use that term, nor IMHO, are you speaking for millions of other British people.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

quote "If William is unable and/or unwilling to meet those conditions then he should step aside. We could then install a Head of State who is democratically elected by the UK electorate."

In your last sentence can you please explain who "we" are?

You are certainly NOT speaking for me, when you use that term, nor IMHO, are you speaking for millions of other British people.

"We", the British electorate. 

I didn't claim that I spoke for anyone else, although I'm pretty certain that I am not the only republican in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, RayC said:

"We", the British electorate. 

I didn't claim that I spoke for anyone else, although I'm pretty certain that I am not the only republican in the UK.

Then why did you not say that you were speaking for yourself only.

From https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/we

I and the rest of a group that includes me : you and I : you and I and another or others 

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/we

plural pronoun,possessive our or ours,objective us.
nominative plural of I.

(used to denote oneself and another or others):

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Then why did you not say that you were speaking for yourself only.

From https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/we

I and the rest of a group that includes me : you and I : you and I and another or others 

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/we

plural pronoun,possessive our or ours,objective us.
nominative plural of I.

(used to denote oneself and another or others):

I thought that it was clear from the context of my original post that I was voicing a personal opinion rather than suggesting that I was stating a fact and/or acting as spokesman for the UK public. My mistake. Apologies for the ambiguity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RayC said:

I thought that it was clear from the context of my original post that I was voicing a personal opinion rather than suggesting that I was stating a fact and/or acting as spokesman for the UK public. My mistake. Apologies for the ambiguity.

Thank you for the apology but it wasn't necessary.

I am 79 and was brought up the old school way.

Sadly the UK education is not as good as it used to be, and there are  times, not so much on ANN, that I get so frustrated as  I cannot understand what the poster has written. The Bangkok Post is very bad for things like that.

Edited by billd766
corrected some bad spelling
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

Why does it matter?

Not one of those millions has any say I the matter.

They are all Subjects, of the hereditary Crown.

21 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You’ll find my comment on the matter of Kate’s cancer diagnosis in the thread that has been opened specifically for that sad news.

If you feel the need to make use of this awful news to score points off your soap box please leave me out of it.

Yeah I saw that virtue signalling tripe. You are fooling nobody and you continue to push the eating disorder narrative even after a cancer diagnosis.

The vitriol from the #bekind left never ceases to amaze me. I'm just glad I dont have to carry that around with me. 

I hope her children aren't reading these type of comments. 

I'm sure her strength and dignity will see her get through this. Best wishes to William as well, his grandmother recently passed, wife and father with cancer and his brother stabbing them all in the back from Montecito. Plus the trolls spreading eating disorder and affair rumours on line. Must be awful times. Thanks for adding to them.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

What exactly does a monarch actually do?

They rubber stamp parliament's bills, they have no actual power. 

Open a few new roads, make an appearance at an old peoples home maybe.

At least a President, love or hate them actually do a real job, and if you hate the job they do you get rid of them at the next election

As much as we Americans seem obsessed by them as a tabloid spectacle, we don't have to pay for them!

So as long as you want them, go for it, but I'd say Versailles is still one Hell of a tourist attraction, even without the Sun King.

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

What exactly does a monarch actually do?

They rubber stamp parliament's bills, they have no actual power. 

Open a few new roads, make an appearance at an old peoples home maybe.

At least a President, love or hate them actually do a real job, and if you hate the job they do you get rid of them at the next election

As much as we Americans seem obsessed by them as a tabloid spectacle, we don't have to pay for them!

So as long as you want them, go for it, but I'd say Versailles is still one Hell of a tourist attraction, even without the Sun King.

Depends on the country. In some monarchs have an important role, in others it is ceremonial.

Same as presidents, in some countries a president has a ceremonial role, in others he is the main decision maker.

And don't underestimate the costs involved with the presidents, it wouldn't surprise me if all in all a monarchy can work out cheaper.

I personally think a monarchy also is something special, gives a country a higher standing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Yeah I saw that virtue signalling tripe. You are fooling nobody and you continue to push the eating disorder narrative even after a cancer diagnosis.

The vitriol from the #bekind left never ceases to amaze me. I'm just glad I dont have to carry that around with me. 

I hope her children aren't reading these type of comments. 

I'm sure her strength and dignity will see her get through this. Best wishes to William as well, his grandmother recently passed, wife and father with cancer and his brother stabbing them all in the back from Montecito. Plus the trolls spreading eating disorder and affair rumours on line. Must be awful times. Thanks for adding to them.

Like I said, you can find my comments in the awful news of Kate’s cancer diagnosis in the thread specifically opened to discuss that very topic.

I believe I made that very clear.

So jog on Jonny.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

You raging monarchists are very similar to the MAGA cultists.

Making petty attacks against commentators, who may have been incorrect with their assessments, are much more important to you than concern about the actual illness of one of your deities. Your admitted dislike of the wife of an outcast from the "family" because of her racial makeup, sums you up.

Speculation about one of these chosen (inherited) beings stem from the fact that the palace, while always embracing the huge amount of positive publicity, secretes any bad news from the public.

Does their personal medical info, kept in house, bother you......?  🤔