[Poll] The Top 10 Types of Expat in Thailand - What type of expat are you?

The Top 10 types of expat in Thailand - please read the full story before you vote in our Poll!   

220 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Wife number 1 was a typical Essex Girl (Google her), beautiful, blue eyes, blonde hair, big bazookas, no brain.

I loved her to bits (in reality I still do); we had 5 kids together then she swapped me for a newer model.

Number 1.5 was Korean, loved her too but she turned me down, twice!! :sad: 

Wife V2.0 (Thai) is my keeper, love her soooo much, just as much as she loves me my bank balance.

First marriages are normally loved, hope based. Afterwards convenience, money, safety based.

But you see western guys marrying western women with less money 3 times. That's like going to a restaurant getting food poisoning then going back 2 more times.

But it is what it is.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

How about "some of the above".

• I selected digital nomad as I run my overseas business from Thailand.
  • I'm not retired but work only 7 months per year.
  • I'm not looking for a wife but have a lovely long term partner here.
  • I'm not a businessman in Thailand but do have business elsewhere
  • I'm an entrepreneur but have not yet found anything compelling for me to set-up in Thailand 
  • I'm not a sexpat, but have been known to enjoy the company of other ladies (less nowadays).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

How about "some of the above".

I also could tick most of boxes you mention.

Bit aside but we all referr to "retirement visa" or variations.  

Extension based on retirement etc

To be pedantic it should be "extension based on being over 50" 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

My highly stressful corporate job, starting and running the investment division for a major bank, led me to a burnout and also reflux, which culminated in Barrett's oesophagus (a potential precancerous condition of the oesophagus). My doctor suggested I needed to get out of the rat race, so I did that and moved here, selling everything in NZ, investing some of the funds and also receiving a pension. All of this has ensured that I have a comfortable retired life here in Thailand – – so no complaints. 

And as a bonus, I have unofficially adopted the daughter of the Thai woman whom I lived with for five years, and taken care of her living and accommodation needs, and that is very satisfying.

This is the weirdest brag ever.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Wish they had a category for "Actually Likes Thailand".

I also wish I could be a sexpat. But the starfish sex factor is really for failed at home thirstmongers to the nth degree.

I'll just do myself. At least I'm into me.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dolf said:

Yes why do people get married 3 times? If the first fails give up.

Good logic, if you fail at something never try again. 

Sounds like great advise, Maye all the losing football teams should just quit. 

I am curious why someone is trying to put a label on us to be viewed publicly by any foreigner or Thai. What is the purpose of this survey except to accumulate information on the people who read and comment here. 

I want to tick all but there is no choice for that.. So here is my reply to this survey..

I could be one or all or none

• The search of a wife
    • The businessman
    • Retiring in Thailand
    • Teaching English
    • The entrepreneurial spirit
    • The bored wife
    • The fresh-starter
    • Sexpats
    • The serial complainer
    • The digital nomads

10 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Wish they had a category for "Actually Likes Thailand".

I also wish I could be a sexpat. But the starfish sex factor is really for failed at home thirstmongers to the nth degree.

I'll just do myself. At least I'm into me.

I think it was Woody Allen that said that the best thing about masturbation is that at least you know for sure that you're making love to somebody that you are in love with. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Sports first brought me here long before I retired here. Chiang Mai has the biggest Amateur Cricket Tournament in the World and has been going for about 34 years. Started by Farangs who were in the tree- logging business, Zimbabweans.

Cricket is my passion and also brought hundreds of others, who like myself joined in developing and supporting cricket for Young Thais. My colleagues were going into to schools, introducing soft, then hard ball. Still going on now in Lampoon.

Adults and under 19’s playing for Thailand in International tournaments. 
I myself trained and have been Umpiring sine I retire here.

of course the sunshine was also a major factor. Plus of course I was loving the bars, girls and nightlife. Not so now with aging gracefully, I am ready for bed by 8pm.

But a useful article with factual material.

I  think you also left out The Bar Owners, many Farangs finance them in the name of their Thai wives. They attract many Farangs on Golf and Cricket tournaments, National and International.

10 More Missing Categories:

1. No money for plane ticket home
  2. Great place to meet foreign fugitives
  3. Studying Muay Thai
  4. Addicted to street noodles and M-150
  5. Abundance of tropical diseases 
  6. The Nana/Cowboy/Patpong trifecta 
  7. Learning Thai language
  8. The Monkhood
  9. TM.47 Lover
  10. Foot massage freak

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No idea where I fit.

I met my Thai wife in London. She's two years older than me (but still looks ten years younger, even though we've now been married 25 years).

Now I'm actually working in Hong Kong (which is very useful given Thailand's new tax rules as I'll have a Hong Kong pension), and if I ever retire, I'll then be a retiree, but until then???

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, owl sees all said:

What about the farang that buys a load of land and sets about trying to create a fortune from it? Whether that be special rice, hard-wood trees, tobacco, agar wood, rubber trees, or durians. Not forgetting the fish, the fishing, shrimps or the resort.

What better way to spend ya hard-earned dosh! Better than giving it to bar girls any day.

They are businessmen or Entrepreneurs.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ABCDBKK said:

10 More Missing Categories:

1. No money for plane ticket home
  2. Great place to meet foreign fugitives
  3. Studying Muay Thai
  4. Addicted to street noodles and M-150
  5. Abundance of tropical diseases 
  6. The Nana/Cowboy/Patpong trifecta 
  7. Learning Thai language
  8. The Monkhood