Farang accidently starting a wildfire.....any idea of consequences?

hydraides

Okay so i didn't start a wildfire but do you know if any farang has been prosecuted and had their visa cancelled been blacklisted for example

Dropped a cigarette on grass which caused a big fire

Or set of a firework and it landing somewhere and cause a fire

Released a chinese latern and got arrested

I am thinking of making a homemade sugar rocket to set off outside......to show my science class...........Actually this will be in a 1km2 x 1km x 1km 1 xkm massive ploughed field with just soil (no chance of wildfire if it lands nearby)............If it flies high and long.......there is a small chance it won't use up all its fuel and small risk of starting a fire far away

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the risk is very small .... maybe elevated slightly as there's the current anti-falang trend in the media, but looking at the uncontrolled risks at the annual 'bung fai' rocket festivals, I think any resulting damage from your rocket will be seen as an innocent accident.

There was some recent legal action against the sellers of flying lanterns and fireworks in Bangsaen, with several sellers receiving jail sentences, but no action was taken against the buyers/users.

Just make sure you have the full support and approval from your school.  And of course ensure the kids are safe in case of a launch failure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Who to blame when the kidlets build their own homemade rockets and set fires or blow off some fingers?

I don't think "don't try this at home" will suffice.

............and, the farangy teacher told us how to do it.........😵

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Who to blame when the kidlets build their own homemade rockets and set fires or blow off some fingers?

I don't think "don't try this at home" will suffice.

All this information is accessible from youtube and also which they watch..........

Also its so difficult and complicated to make one (order ingredients online, blender to make smooth powders, buy clay mix......make a fuse" - I think they would all be too lazy to even try to replicate it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I would wait a month or so utili we get some rain. 

a couple of weeks ago, my garden farm and small farm house almost burned down from a similar incident (5 minute from our house by car) 

we got a call from a neighbor and got there just in time to stop it on our fence, the corner of the storage farm house was already on fire. Some of my trees close to the fence had all of their leaves burned, I hope they come back. 

Anyway If I had lost my farm and knew who did it , you can bet I would have had by Thai relatives go after him. 

Your rocket experiment will be seen by your students, if a  fire results from it . you can bet that it will get back to the parents. Don't take the chance, 

burnrdout.thumb.jpg.3185168adff119502b76e4a71a91b6d5.jpg

flames.thumb.jpg.5455820cca25f406214cb37101d81513.jpg

Do you know how it started??

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

a couple of weeks ago, my garden farm and small farm house almost burned down from a similar incident (5 minute from our house by car) 

we got a call from a neighbor and got there just in time to stop it on our fence, the corner of the storage farm house was already on fire. Some of my trees close to the fence had all of their leaves burned, I hope they come back. 

Anyway If I had lost my farm and knew who did it , you can bet I would have had by Thai relatives go after him. 

Your rocket experiment will be seen by your students, if a  fire results from it . you can bet that it will get back to the parents. Don't take the chance, 

Hope for some heavy rain at the end of april, 

Hope for some heavy rain at the end of april I suppose, vegetation now will be like a tinder box

• Agree 1

Just now, hydraides said:

Do you know how it started??

No , probably some cigarette thrown out a car window.  We are near a main country road, just outside the village, and there is a fire on the side of the road almost every day .

the place is a tinderbox 

Wait a few more weeks, the rains will come , we had some yesterday, and were supposed to get more to day, but it has not happen yet, 

We should start getting some rain soon 

We are in Khon Kaen

Just now, hydraides said:

All this information is accessible from youtube and also which they watch..........

Also its so difficult and complicated to make one (order ingredients online, blender to make smooth powders, buy clay mix......make a fuse" - I think they would all be too lazy to even try to replicate it. 

It might be hard for this generation.  Back in the days before floppy discs (no internet, landline phones, only 3 TV stations that ended programming at 2am), my buddy and I made gunpowder in the garage, packed into Miller brand 7-ounce pony glass bottles, charged with appropriate schrapnel, and blowed stuff up real good.   

If they really wanna replicate it...........

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, hydraides said:

I am thinking of making a homemade sugar rocket to set off outside......to show my science class...

"...to show my science class...".

...an example of something dangerous that they should never attempt, yes?  And you're a teacher?...a real one?    My  ex-FIL was well known for making and 'competing' with his bang fai rockets until it all blew up in his face, literally, he died with total body burns three days later in hospital.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, hydraides said:

there is a small chance it won't use up all its fuel and small risk of starting a fire far away

Then don’t do it unless you want to risk going to prison then get deported 

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Put as  firebreak all round  my  land, built a  concrete road  around it.........of  course the usual village  idiots  said my road was  illegal, I was going to build a resort, cant do that etc...... then later when the hillside caught  fire from one of the neighbours  land the  same idiots asked if the could come onto my land use my road to drive a fire engine up it to quell the flames (steep  hill)..... you cant fix  stupid. The road gave easy access up to the top, previosuly dirt  track  impassable after rainy season.

Reminds me I must build that resort one day they mentioned.

Yeah I fit in like a sore  thumb to some of the locals......thankfully there are a few decent ones in the village also.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...an example of something dangerous that they should never attempt, yes?  And you're a teacher?...a real one?    My  ex-FIL was well known for making and 'competing' with his bang fai rockets until it all blew up in his face, literally, he died with total body burns three days later in hospital.

Whats an ex-fil?

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, novacova said:

Then don’t do it unless you want to risk going to prison then get deported 

Thats the whole point of this thread.......to find out if jail is a real outcome if something goes wrong....i can't find anything on thai news about someone either thai or foreinger being prosecuted for accidently a wildfire.....

Edited by hydraides

1 minute ago, hydraides said:
25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Whats an ex-fil?

Ex-father-in-law.   Are you a real teacher?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Ex-father-in-law.   Are you a real teacher?

No I'm a fake teacher I'm just a hooligram so my actions don't have any consequences. 

Students here still have basic common sense........and all this information is available on youtube anyway.

These rockets are so complicated to make and to source the materials......and the end results isn't even that specatular.....over within a few seconds........I would highly doubt they would ever try to make one..........

I can tell you for a fact.........Teenagers these days are way to pre occupied with social media, instagram and tiktok and gaming with games such as roblox and minecraft..... to be even remotely interested in trying to do complicated science experiments in their spare time.

Maybe 30 years ago it could have been a problem out of boredam, these day teenagers just care about their status on social media

If 100's of people release 1000's of LARGE massive rockets in NE Thailand with no consequences, I'm not sure how releasing a mini sugar can be seen as such an evil act by yourself ...........

Edited by hydraides

1 hour ago, hydraides said:

I was making gunpowder in grammar school back in 1950 when you had to search the library back shelf books for information and buy from the pharmacy.   Kids can do a lot and if you do for real some will likely want to imitate.  

But from your above it seems your only concern is personal arrest - well I suspect in this months paranoia you could well be the next headline if anything went wrong.

18 minutes ago, hydraides said:

Thats the whole point of this thread.......to find out if jail is a real outcome if something goes wrong....i can't find anything on thai news about someone either thai or foreinger being prosecuted for accidently a wildfire.....

Then go ahead and do it, if we don’t hear back from you then we’ll know what happened. This thread is evidence of intent, knowing the possibility of the outcome. And yes, individuals do get arrested and prosecuted for starting fires and yes equal justice for foreigners which includes deportation. Good luck with your little venture.

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I was making gunpowder in grammar school back in 1950 when you had to search the library back shelf books for information and buy from the pharmacy.   Kids can do a lot and if you do for real some will likely want to imitate.  

But from your above it seems your only concern is personal arrest - well I suspect in this months paranoia you could well be the next headline if anything went wrong.

Kids have changed a lot since the 1950's.......

honestly kids apart from the odd science geek, spend 90% of their time looking at a screen.....and are too lazy to anything but scroll through facebook, instagram reals, and watch youtube videos

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, novacova said:

Then go ahead and do it, if we don’t hear back from you then we’ll know what happened. This thread is evidence of intent, knowing the possibility of the outcome. And yes, individuals do get arrested and prosecuted for starting fires and yes equal justice for foreigners which includes deportation. Good luck with your little venture.

proof of being people arrested for accidently starting fires in thailand and foreingers being deported?

If someone started a fire........from one of the rockets from the rocket festival.......do you think theyd be arrested.........i think the answer is NO......

I've never seen it on the news, thats why im asking here

Edited by hydraides

One of my online science students is from Ukraine - his family left the country and he lives in Croatia and I teach him Science.  He is a very smart boy and has been building sugar rockets and refining his design (probably going to supply them to the Ukrainian army!).  Then I have 2 Russian students whose families fled Russia and now live in Spain.  Coincidentally, they are also building/designing sugar rockets 🙂

Building sugar rockets and military supplies doesn't feature in the curriculum that I teach them, but their common sense about safety and the risks of their projects means that I encourage them (within safety limits).  Life would be very boring without risk and experimentation (just as some farang risk STDs and experimenting with men wearing frocks!).

image_2024_03_10T12_21_24_957Z.png.bb0c5f48a40f2ee0fdf6a1edf8abf2d8.png

Edited by simon43
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, hydraides said:

Okay so i didn't start a wildfire but do you know if any farang has been prosecuted and had their visa cancelled been blacklisted for example

Dropped a cigarette on grass which caused a big fire

Or set of a firework and it landing somewhere and cause a fire

Released a chinese latern and got arrested

I am thinking of making a homemade sugar rocket to set off outside......to show my science class...........Actually this will be in a 1km2 x 1km x 1km 1 xkm massive ploughed field with just soil (no chance of wildfire if it lands nearby)............If it flies high and long.......there is a small chance it won't use up all its fuel and small risk of starting a fire far away

can you wait til July and take it to one of he many Roclet Festivals..much safer for everyone involved, failing that get a permit from local Amphur Office. Remember nothing within 9km of an Airport.

Edited by tandor
  • Like 1