Visa renewal on re entry from Vietnam

Hi guys need some help please. My visa expires on April 4 and I'm thinking of goin to Vietnam for 4 days and then back to Thailand. Will this get me another 30 days visa or will it not be possible or raise red flags. I have read about visa runs and stuff but never did them before. I have been here for 4 months now. Extended my 30 days then I got 60 more days because I have a Thai UK son here. I never knew that until recently either.im very green at this sort of stuff so advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks 

You don't have a visa.

You have an extension.

You can go to Vietnam and stay few days and return visa exempt and obtain another 30 day stamp.

Are you eligible for visa exempt entry to Vietnam 

That can be extended by 30 days.

Since that will be another entry to Thailand you can again obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife.

How long do you wish to stay in Thailand 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Marty0707 said:

Thanks a million dr Jack greatly appreciated. I dont suppose you know if I need a visa to enter Vietnam. I have read I do and read I don't .

Thanks 

Passport country? 

I checked your profile. Irish? 

If yes then you need to obtain 30 day tourist e-visa. 

Very simple. I just received mine. 5 days process. $25 usd.

8 minutes ago, Marty0707 said:

Northern Irish Jack so it's a British passport I hold does that change it ? 

Thanks again

I understand the confusion. 

Being Northern Irish thinking you have a British pp.

If that's the case you should be visa exempt to Vietnam.  

As I stated earlier even if you need a visa, it's very simple process.

Back to your main question re exit and reenter thailand visa exempt that would work.

If you haven't been to Saigon feel free to pm for advice.

Would you go alone or travel with family

Just seen you asked how long I'm goin to stay in Thailand for sorry didn't mean to be rude not answering I just didn't see all messages sorry . Not sure how long to stay maybe another month or 2 or if any opportunities arise for me to stay longer I would but not easy from wat I see to get work 

5 minutes ago, Marty0707 said:

I think I'll just get a visa for Vietnam just to be on safe side jack. 

@Upnotover posted 45 days visa exempt and he knows his stuff.

No need to obtain visa if not required.

You also mentioned stay for only another month or 2.

You could consider a border bounce.

Depends where you are located in Thailand. 

Thanks upnotover for advice as well as you guys can see I'm useless. Ubon joe used to help me a lot in years past but haven't seen him on lately or maybe I'm looking wrong. Hope he's well. I'm down near sissaket here kantharalak is nearest town. Not that far from Cambodia . So I don't need a visa for Vietnam. Did read that but always need second opinion and thanks guys 

15 minutes ago, Marty0707 said:

Ubon joe used to help me a lot in years past but haven't seen him on lately or maybe I'm looking wrong. Hope he's well.

Sadly the great man ubonjoe has past and this forum so misses our #1 man 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If yes then you need to obtain 30 day tourist e-visa. 

Very simple. I just received mine. 5 days process. $25 usd.

It is no longer simple. I have done it twice for an Irish friend and a couple of years ago was very easy.

A few weeks ago I found they had made it similar to the VOA in that you need to use an agent, you now need a Vietnamese ID number to access the government website.

I found an agent that did it for $45 in 7 days but there others with prices over $100. Bit of a minefield now and have to be careful. Some were advertising an e-visa but reading the small print they were selling a letter for the VOA.

13 hours ago, Marty0707 said:

Thanks upnotover for advice as well as you guys can see I'm useless. Ubon joe used to help me a lot in years past but haven't seen him on lately or maybe I'm looking wrong. Hope he's well. I'm down near sissaket here kantharalak is nearest town. Not that far from Cambodia . So I don't need a visa for Vietnam. Did read that but always need second opinion and thanks guys 

I have just come back from Vietnam and on a British passport got 45 days visa exempt. They didn't ask to see my return ticket this time but they did last time, bit awkward as my wife had it and she was already through immigration.

Best to have it handy in case they ask.

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

A few weeks ago I found they had made it similar to the VOA in that you need to use an agent, you now need a Vietnamese ID number to access the government website.

I applied for 30 day tourist visa for Vietnam 10 days ago using government web site.

Took 5 days to process.

Applied on a Monday and received e-Visa approval later in the week Friday. 

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I applied for 30 day tourist visa for Vietnam 10 days ago using government web site.

Took 5 days to process.

What link did you use to the government site?

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Took 5 days to process.

Just checked the old link  I had and it now  appears to open.

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/tra-cuu-ho-so?fsource=payoo&status=1&session=0BD031B9F5A0BD651D4C738C8F3CB892.node-01&order_no=E190920IRLPE988659450&checksum=0c4a4ac163c9aeabb628cd3a3132ea917a6920e93eac847e6dfbe0ea3bfd876ca6781be7f717360e31132ffeddc6037f7ef0839317d5a1e1203733875bcbdfe5&totalAmount=601811&paymentFee=22311

A few weeks ago this site could not be accessed and referred you to the new government portal.

https://dichvucong.bocongan.gov.vn/bocongan/bothutuc/tthc?matt=26277

This new site requires registration which needs an ID number,

Hopefully things are now back to the way they were but caution will always be required.

17 hours ago, sandyf said:

It is no longer simple. I have done it twice for an Irish friend and a couple of years ago was very easy.

I found an agent that did it for $45 in 7 days but there others with prices over $100. Bit of a minefield now and have to be careful. Some were advertising an e-visa but reading the small print they were selling a letter for the VOA.

That is total BS.You do not need an agent. Yes, filling out the e-visa form for the first time is a pain in the behind, but you will get through it.

Bit off topic but here are couple of tips for e-visa application for Vietnam.

1. Before you even start application take picture of ID page of passport and also passport size photo. Even a selfie 

Crop them.

2. Select your dates of travel. In my case 30 days for a single. If you accidentally enter longer than 30, no problem as it prompts you to enter period 30 days or less. The application does not requure flight details. 

3. Warning: The application can be "parked" and completed later. In my experience (twice) the length of stay was changed by the programe itself. So at the Pay page make sure you review. 

4. When you confirm details...It asks for first name and surname.  Make sure that in the "first name" you include your middle name. In other words exactly as it appears in passport.  

The fee is $25usd for single entry tourist visa and $50usd for 3 month multi entry. I used debit card (mastercard)

Process time 5 days (approx) .

The link to use for applicaction is given earlier by sandyf.

You need to print out hard copy of the e-Vias when it's emailed to you. 

BTW they email you if there is an error. In my case did not include middle name

So simple. 

5 hours ago, thecyclist said:

That is total BS.You do not need an agent. Yes, filling out the e-visa form for the first time is a pain in the behind, but you will get through it.

Obviously you would rather shout BS than read what was posted.

If you had bothered to read the posts you would have been aware it wasn't, as you want to make out, my first time.

There was a period in time in January when the only option was to use the new Government Portal, which requires a local ID number, or use an agent as you need to do for a VOA.

As I have already posted above, that now appears to have gone back to the way it was for the time being. It cannot be ruled out as an indication of things to come.

This was the instructions from the only government website operational at the time.

Step 1: Foreigners access the electronic visa information page of the Ministry of Public Security's public service portal (with the Vietnamese domain name "https://dichvucong.bocongan.gov.vn/", in English it is "" https://e-services.mps.gov.vn/”) to enter electronic visa application information, download portrait photo and passport identification page. After completing this step, foreigners will be issued an electronic file code by the system.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Obviously you would rather shout BS than read what was posted.

If you had bothered to read the posts you would have been aware it wasn't, as you want to make out, my first time.

There was a period in time in January when the only option was to use the new Government Portal, which requires a local ID number, or use an agent as you need to do for a VOA.

As I have already posted above, that now appears to have gone back to the way it was for the time being. It cannot be ruled out as an indication of things to come.

This was the instructions from the only government website operational at the time.

Step 1: Foreigners access the electronic visa information page of the Ministry of Public Security's public service portal (with the Vietnamese domain name "https://dichvucong.bocongan.gov.vn/", in English it is "" https://e-services.mps.gov.vn/”) to enter electronic visa application information, download portrait photo and passport identification page. After completing this step, foreigners will be issued an electronic file code by the system.

Yes, I applied for one during that brief period, right after they reintroduced the 90 day TV.With it came a new webpage/application form that was absurdly complicated and frustrating. Took me countless attempts and 9 hours of my time to success. The Vietnamese must have realized how impossible that system was, because they quickly reverted back to the old system. 

Of course, if money is no object  you can always go through an agency, and save some time. 

But that whole system of agents in cahoots with corrupt officials  who are often from the same family is so rotten, that, unless absolutely necessary  I do not want to give them my money. They fleeced us during Covid lockdowns when it was necessary to go through agents They fleeced many on the way out. A disgusting spectacle, a feeding frenzy, that makes officials/agents in Thailand angels in comparison. 

So do I need a visa on my British passport to go to Vietnam? I just booked flights for April 4 then I seen these posts I'm confused yet again. Any help greatly appreciated 

30 minutes ago, Marty0707 said:

So do I need a visa on my British passport to go to Vietnam? I just booked flights for April 4 then I seen these posts I'm confused yet again. Any help greatly appreciated 

No.  Visa Exempt.

See https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/vietnam/entry-requirements

Visa requirements

If you plan to stay in Vietnam for 45 days or fewer, you do not need a visa for:

• tourism
  • transit
  • business travel – but not paid or voluntary work

You must have a visa for longer stays or if you’re entering Vietnam for other reasons.

On 3/19/2024 at 5:34 PM, DrJack54 said:

You don't have a visa.

You have an extension.

You can go to Vietnam and stay few days and return visa exempt and obtain another 30 day stamp.

Are you eligible for visa exempt entry to Vietnam 

That can be extended by 30 days.

Since that will be another entry to Thailand you can again obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife.

How long do you wish to stay in Thailand 

On 3/19/2024 at 5:31 PM, Marty0707 said:

Hi guys need some help please. My visa expires on April 4 and I'm thinking of goin to Vietnam for 4 days and then back to Thailand. Will this get me another 30 days visa or will it not be possible or raise red flags. I have read about visa runs and stuff but never did them before. I have been here for 4 months now. Extended my 30 days then I got 60 more days because I have a Thai UK son here. I never knew that until recently either.im very green at this sort of stuff so advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks 

How would he be able to "obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife"? In the OP he mentioned he "has a Thai UK son here". This doesn't mean that he's married, only that he has a kid of his own.

Edited by bbi1