Extension of stay renewal dates changing after renewal?

Hi
As a background to my question.

There is a poster on another forum who is receiving his extension of stay in the south possibly, but unconfirmed, from Songkhla immigration office. He states that his renewal date (day, month) is 400 days after his current extension expired 

Doing the math I was given 30-37 days plus 365 days = 395/400 days for one application fee. The captain was clear before this is what they will do 

There is another user on the other forum who states that he was given 12 months after the under consideration period finished who is going to check with the immigration office, there is no more information from him yet.

So my question is does anyone know of this situation, I haven’t heard of this before but I don’t monitor the forum closely?

My understanding is that the renewal is always 1 year from the expiration of the current permission to stay if being renewed for the same reason.

Both of the posters claiming more than 365 days are extending a marriage extension?

I well understand that different immigration offices have different policies but this one was, I thought, set in stone so thought I was correct to question the truth of the initial claim.

Is this a a Region 6 policy? Is it unique to a particular office? Is the change unique ?

• Confused 3

Generally the extension expiration date is one year later than the current one.

Now there are, such as marriage extension, a one month period of "Under Consideration" which starts from the date of your current soon-to-expire extension, and ends 30 days later; and that is the date to return to the Imm Office to get your new extension of stay stamp in your passport.  And that stamp will be one year from your just expired extension of stay stamp.

Note that, if your passport will be expiring before the end of any one full year period, your extension of stay expiration date will be the end date of your passport expiration.

Edited by jeffandgop
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I am well aware of the usual situation. 

The under consideration period is dependent on the office to which you apply.

in some offices it is 30 days from the date of application.

in other offices (Udon is one) the application date is irrelevant and it is always 30 days from the the date your current extension finishes so can be a total of 75 days

in every office that I know of the extension that is finally stamped into your passport is 365 day after the current extension finishes, this means that the day and month of the extension does not change.

The under consideration period is not the question. 
a shorter than 365 days due to the passport period, is not the question. 

a different day and month because of a 60 day spouse visit extension is not the question. 

The report is that for 1 known user they received not 365 days but 400 days and the day and month changed.

The question is has anyone else had their day and month change because they were given more than 365 days?

The report is from the south, so region 6. The exact office is not specified but is likely to be Songkhla immigration office.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

49 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I am well aware of the usual situation. 

The under consideration period is dependent on the office to which you apply.

in some offices it is 30 days from the date of application.

in other offices (Udon is one) the application date is irrelevant and it is always 30 days from the the date your current extension finishes so can be a total of 75 days

in every office that I know of the extension that is finally stamped into your passport is 365 day after the current extension finishes, this means that the day and month of the extension does not change.

The under consideration period is not the question. 
a shorter than 365 days due to the passport period, is not the question. 

a different day and month because of a 60 day spouse visit extension is not the question. 

The report is that for 1 known user they received not 365 days but 400 days and the day and month changed.

The question is has anyone else had their day and month change because they were given more than 365 days?

The report is from the south, so region 6. The exact office is not specified but is likely to be Songkhla immigration office.

some photo's of the last extension stamp and the new one would be useful

38 minutes ago, steve187 said:

some photo's of the last extension stamp and the new one would be useful

I know that, however the poster in the other forum is positive of the information given to him by the head of the office if the immigration office and the expiration date of his latest extension, which he received a couple of days ago, and is 400 days or about that, from the last extension.

Given that and the other poster who is currently checking with immigration who has also received a more than 365 day extension I am not going to ask for more concrete proof, 

The forum is https://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/ and you can join and request photos if you like

Rather silly to speculate when the only fact out there is that some poster somewhere said something in a post.

Annual renewals based on retirement or marriage are for one year and the only exception I'm aware of is when that is shortened due to a passport expiration during that one-year time period.

However, back on February 27th of 2009, I went to Immigration in Hua Hin to see about converting my Tourist Visa to a Non-O visa and ask about a one-year extension based on retirement; as it turned out (and all this happened in about 45 minutes) they marked my Tourist visa as "Used", stamped in a 90-day Non-O Immigrant Visa which they also marked as "Used",  stamped in a stay permit based on the Non-O expiring on May 27, 2009, and stamped in another stay permit expiring on May 27, 2010 (which didn't specify retirement but I presume that's what it was).......so effectively I was given 455 days of permission to stay that same day.  An odd event, for sure, and I have no clue if any Immigration office nowadays would do the same.

(Edited as I incorrectly listed the 2010 date as 2020)

Edited by CMBob

36 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Rather silly to speculate when the only fact out there is that some poster somewhere said something in a post.

That is what happens all the time here so how is it different?

37 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Annual renewals based on retirement or marriage are for one year and the only exception I'm aware of is when that is shortened due to a passport expiration during that one-year time period.

That is also my understanding. However the poster is totally confident that he received more than 365 days. He also knows that the day of the month and month of renewal is not the same and is 400 days from his last extension.

That is precisely why I am asking the questions regarding this unusual stamp, 

The Non-O visa and extension of stay being processed on the same day at the same time is the only unusual feature of your 2009 visit to immigration, the other dates are completely normal. It is unusual for everything to be done together today but immigration offices and officials have discretion so it is certainly possible that it could happen.

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is precisely why I am asking the questions regarding this unusual stamp, 

You indicated the poster said he got 400 days although you didn't say that his stamp had 400 days written on it (instead of the usual one-year deal).  Did the poster you refer to obtain a singular 400-day extension stamp?

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, CMBob said:

You indicated the poster said he got 400 days although you didn't say that his stamp had 400 days written on it (instead of the usual one-year deal).  Did the poster you refer to obtain a singular 400-day extension stamp?

@CMBob I doubt that I will get a definitive answer, however I infer that he applied close to the expiration of his previous extension, was given an under consideration stamp that was for the usual 30 days, that the processing time was longer, and that when the new (current) extension was stamped it gave permission to stay until March 2025, while his previous permission to stay was February 2024

The permission to stay never has the number of days written 

1. it has the application date
  2. the report by date
  3. the expiration date
  4. and the date it was stamped 

So the 400 days is a calculated number of days as are the standard 365 days of the usual extensions

NB all the above is regarding a spouse extension 

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is also my understanding. However the poster is totally confident that he received more than 365 days. He also knows that the day of the month and month of renewal is not the same and is 400 days from his last extension.

Unless he is prepared to post his stamps, I'd take his report with a pinch of salt.

If he applied 5 days prior to his extension renewal date and was given an under consideration stamp dated 30 days after the renewal date = 35 days from the date of application, he may be counting those days on top of the 365 days granted. Once approved, new extension stamps are always backdated to the previous extension date.
Then again, he may have encountered another 'incompetent' official that's simply screwed it up.

By the way, your Reddit link opens multi general posts.
After 10 minutes scrolling through, I still couldn't find the post you were referring to.
A direct link would help.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

By the way, your Reddit link opens multi general posts.
After 10 minutes scrolling through, I still couldn't find the post you were referring to.
A direct link would help.

The poster is https://www.reddit.com/user/Wrong-Response5324/

Unless he is prepared to post his stamps, I'd take his report with a pinch of salt.

You are welcome to ask more questions.

a previous post he said

Last year in the songkhla they did this and maybe in two weeks they will do the same (13 months). I will ask my new officer about this. I had no issues; everything checked out when I renewed after that 1 month plus 12 month visa.

Once approved, new extension stamps are always backdated to the previous extension date.

That is the experience of virtually every other user and applicant I know of. And the reason for the question.

However there is 1 stated claim of a different result + one applicant who applied to a different office who is likely to have received an incorrect stamp from the IO who is checking now or will shortly check.

FWIW he is also adamant that he has a visa that he is extending and can’t seem to understand that an extension of stay isn’t a visa

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

anomaly

Quite possibly, or restricted to a single immigration office. 

I would guess that there are not many on a spouse extension in the far south and fewer, if any, of them are posting on TV

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

However there is 1 stated claim of a different result + one applicant who applied to a different office who is likely to have received an incorrect stamp from the IO who is checking now or will shortly check.

The second poster who got 13 months has confirmed that it was an IO stamp error and his date has been fixed 

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The second poster who got 13 months has confirmed that it was an IO stamp error and his date has been fixed 

Do you have anything to add to this thread of a random post from unknown chap without screenshot of stamps etc

Going nowhere 

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The result of an incompetent official, as I previously suggested.

Nothing new, the advice is always to check the stamps before walking away.

I've had to correct an official on a 90-day report date when doing it in person.

A couple of years ago, my extension due July but I always submit June, the IO informed me I had overstayed 1 month.
Not until he checked his phone calendar did he believe me that the month of July came after June and not before.     🙄

• Haha 2

Mine used to change about half the time I got an extension. Crazy. Never asked and never understood why.  Usually only by a few days or on one occasion three weeks. After sitting at immigration and then watching them move the rubber in the 10-25 stamps I didn't care really.  Never thought calling them on it would be in my best interest.

Edited by Gknrd

3 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Mine used to change about half the time I got an extension. Crazy. Never asked and never understood why.  Usually only by a few days or on one occasion three weeks. After sitting at immigration and then watching them move the rubber in the 10-25 stamps I didn't care really.  Never thought calling them on it would be in my best interest.

That’s the second confirmed instance of dates changing. Which office was it? 

from the other report I can speculate as to the reason why there was no consistency, but as speculation it has no significant benefit.

Also just accepting the changes without questions is not a bad policy, but it’s very useful to know that it may happen. Up to now I and almost everyone has assumed that it never does so your report is a valuable datum point

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Also just accepting the changes without questions is not a bad policy, but it’s very useful to know that it may happen. Up to now I and almost everyone has assumed that it never does so your report is a valuable datum point

Again what's the point? 

If it changes what's is the issue.

I still doubt the one example you based this thread on. Granted 400days is crazy. Just an error. 

Then you post .....

"That’s the second confirmed instance of dates changing. Which office was it? 

Then there is a zillion that have the same renewal date for many years. 

11 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That’s the second confirmed instance of dates changing. Which office was it? 

from the other report I can speculate as to the reason why there was no consistency, but as speculation it has no significant benefit.

was all over the place when I lived in Thailand. Extension of stay in Chiang Mai several times, BKK, Udon , Hoi Hin , cannot remember them all. But clearly remember the time stamps being out of whack..

On 3/21/2024 at 8:58 AM, CMBob said:

yes

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

was all over the place when I lived in Thailand. Extension of stay in Chiang Mai several times, BKK, Udon , Hoi Hin , cannot remember them all. But clearly remember the time stamps being out of whack..

Post your stamps on here, let us decide.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Post your stamps on here, let us decide.

I will see. I just had my new one issued in Thailand before I left for good. Since I don't plan on coming back I will see if I can dig up the old stamps. My passport has been updated a couple of times. Just dug out three passports in the last 15 years. I will see if I can find some stamps. 

Edited by Gknrd
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I just go back to extend on the date which is stamped in my passport. Whatever it may be.

If you do you are an idiot. And very lucky. I and all the guys I know went back at least two weeks before it expired. Going on the day it expires is not a good idea. 

Just now, Gknrd said:

If you do you are an idiot. And very lucky. I and all the guys I know went back at least two weeks before it expired. Going on the day it expires is not a good idea. 

Some idiot🤔 Local immigration office provides a list of what they need I return on the date they request and then they prepare all the paperwork while we wait. All I do is sign and sit in front of the camera.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

I will see. I just had my new one issued in Thailand before I left for good. Since I don't plan on coming back I will see if I can dig up the old stamps. My passport has been updated a couple of times. Just dug out three passports in the last 15 years. I will see if I can find some stamps. 

You can redact your personal details but it would help with this topic.