Why is Windows better than Linux-Desktop for 70-year-olds?

I worked in MIcrosoft. We had a saying about why some people prefer Linux compared to average people. Linux users consider themselves superior because they can run complex command-line tools to do specific tasks, which is a no-no for average customers. People prefer convenience and are willing to dole out money for ease of use.  And no doubt it is a trillion-dollar company now (by the way, Windows has made me a millionaire and hundreds of thousands of other people like me), and Linux is only used by developers in server settings, which, by the way, Windows has made even simpler. 

13 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I worked in MIcrosoft. We had a saying about why some people prefer Linux compared to average people. Linux users consider themselves superior because they can run complex command-line tools to do specific tasks, which is a no-no for average customers. People prefer convenience and are willing to dole out money for ease of use.  And no doubt it is a trillion-dollar company now (by the way, Windows has made me a millionaire and hundreds of thousands of other people like me), and Linux is only used by developers in server settings, which, by the way, Windows has made even simpler. 

LINUX is now EVERYWHERE....but....apparently....you....just....cannot....

See it.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I worked in MIcrosoft. We had a saying about why some people prefer Linux compared to average people.

What was the saying? Not impressed with your Microsoft-trained thinking skills here.

If you wish to know the real reasons, you can read through threads such as

What made you leave Windows/macOS for Linux?

Linux users consider themselves superior because they can run complex command-line tools to do specific tasks, which is a no-no for average customers.

Nonsense. Some Linux users, notably programmers, make extensive use of Linux shell commands and scripts, yes. The average desktop user doesn't, and so that usage in particular can't be a point of pride. Now Linux users may pride themselves on their expertise in general, having a large percentage of geeks among the population. 

But M'soft fanbois can be just as arrogant and overbearing.

People prefer convenience and are willing to dole out money for ease of use.

One can also argue that Linux isn't necessarily less convenient and is in some ways more convenient. Users give up more than just money, though they may not be aware of it.

Linux is only used by developers in server settings

Laughable ignorance. You really don't belong in this thread.

2tqz53ykkzoc1.png?auto=webp&s=c7f3854a7c5f2aebeeca1990ac68b203fafd17e4

The (low) market share of Linux on the desktop has ticked up recently, BTW.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/21/2024 at 5:17 AM, Lemsta69 said:

Windows beats Linux because even though it sucks, Linux sucks worse for the average user. And yes, I have used Linsux many times and not just as a casual user.

I'm not going to provide any examples because the last time I did you came up with a flippant response along the lines of "Linux is easily customisable" when is is in fact not, unless you are a computer programmer.

Hint: it was about how after hours of searching I couldn't come up with a simple Linux equivalent of Core Temp.

You failed to provide a solution other than "Linux is good, mmmkay?".

Ever thought of making your Desktop-PC dual-bootable? 

Then youd'd have a choice between Windows and Linux

On 3/21/2024 at 5:17 AM, Lemsta69 said:

Windows beats Linux because even though it sucks, Linux sucks worse for the average user. And yes, I have used Linsux many times and not just as a casual user.

I'm not going to provide any examples because the last time I did you came up with a flippant response along the lines of "Linux is easily customisable" when is is in fact not, unless you are a computer programmer.

Hint: it was about how after hours of searching I couldn't come up with a simple Linux equivalent of Core Temp.

You failed to provide a solution other than "Linux is good, mmmkay?".

Then youd'd have a choice between Windows and Linux every time you start your PC. 

Just now, micmichd said:

Then youd'd have a choice between Windows and Linux

Yes I've done that a few times after hearing all the hype about how awesome Linux is and how terrible Windoze is. 

I gave up after a few trials with different distros because all of them struggled with multiple displays (laptop + HDTV) and none of them could send audio to the TV. 

Linux forums were useless, I spent hours searching for a solution to no avail. 

Also couldn't get the VPN to work properly; there's no in-built functionality for kill switch or auto-resume after a dropout. Any potential solutions were programmer gibeerish and not worth my time.

I took great pleasure in deleting the last Linux install, removing that annoying Grub bootloader and reverting to Winblows or M$ or whatever pejorative is in vogue with the haters 😂