The $7 trillion boost to the US economy from immigration has downsides too

Social Media

20 hours ago, nauseus said:

Downsides? Really? 

Since you didn't bother to read or comprehend the OP...However, the economic impact of immigration extends beyond mere growth figures. While immigrants contribute to federal tax revenue, they also place strains on state and local governments' resources, particularly in areas such as public education and social welfare programs. While immigrants may not qualify for certain social welfare benefits, they still impose costs on state and local governments, leading to a net negative impact on their budgets

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Since you didn't bother to read or comprehend the OP...However, the economic impact of immigration extends beyond mere growth figures. While immigrants contribute to federal tax revenue, they also place strains on state and local governments' resources, particularly in areas such as public education and social welfare programs. While immigrants may not qualify for certain social welfare benefits, they still impose costs on state and local governments, leading to a net negative impact on their budgets

You didn't comprehend my sarcasm.

• Love It 1

18 hours ago, Wrwest said:

Yah, right. I have studied some history. In so doing compare the population now and then. Take a look at earlier mass immigration ... result of 1848 Revolutions in Europe, the mass immigration from SE Mediterranean resulting in anti-immigration action (they were Catholic after all). Certainly we have seen the largest membership in the KKK in the 1920s in response to new post WW I immigration, Catholic immigration and returning Black Soldiers having fought and coming home "upity" as they had experienced better treatment in Europe. It was a different time with different immigration pressures. Right now those coming are not just from Latin America. They are part of a global refugee movement (ask Europeans). Middle East, China, Russia, Senegal ... fleeing war, poverty, domestic political repression and seeking a better secure economic life. Too bad the Republican Party Congressional representatives chose to ignore the Senate Bipartisan Bill. That all said, I figure we both recognize there is, in fact, an immigration system issue as a result of both parties having "kicked the can down the road" for decades. What is now taking place is a result of the failure of Congress to pass needed legislation.

You def lean towards a bleeding heart. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, G_Money said:

Absolutely.

Are you saying those links aren’t correct?

No, I am questioning the citation of Fox as a creditable news source. Or were they not cited in a court case they lost?

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

What is now taking place is a result of not securing our borders and not enforcing the laws already in place.  More legislation will not do much to solve the problem if the rules are not applied.

I agree that laws need enforcement. I also observe that both houses of Congress areee that enabling legislation is need due to the existing law being inadequate.

7 hours ago, alex8912 said:

You def lean towards a bleeding heart. 

Blame it on my American upbringing … raised in Christian ideals, aging Eagle Scout, educated in history. Comprehension of the plight of others is not a bad thing.

9 hours ago, G_Money said:

Sounds like the trumpian terrorists who stormed the US Capitol on 6 January 2021, injured 140 cops, sh!t on the floor and wiped it on the walls, and did lots of material damage.

Deport them!

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Sounds like the trumpian terrorists who stormed the US Capitol on 6 January 2021, injured 140 cops, sh!t on the floor and wiped it on the walls, and did lots of material damage.

Deport them!

You can’t deport a U.S. citizen.  Your immigration knowledge is weak along with your political knowledge.

The illegal aliens on the other hand can be Expedited Removal.

Most people use deport as a catch all word but only an Immigration Judge can deport.

Next.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 1:52 PM, Hawaiian said:

Tell that to those being laid off and being replaced by Biden's "newcomers."

Why do you call them Biden's newcomers? I would think it's the employers who happily employ and abuse cheaper labor and never get punished for it that's got be told something. By the way, without cheap illegal labor, consumers would be whining even more bout grocery prices, and stockholders would be unhappy with lower profits. The American way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Presto said:

Why do you call them Biden's newcomers? I would think it's the employers who happily employ and abuse cheaper labor and never get punished for it that's got be told something. By the way, without cheap illegal labor, consumers would be whining even more bout grocery prices, and stockholders would be unhappy with lower profits. The American way.

This is JB's latest label for illegal immigrants.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-refers-illegal-immigrants-191002125.html?fr=sycrp_catchall

Speak for yourself.  I don't think using "cheap illegal labor" to keep prices down is the American way.  Personally, I think it is very wrong and employers caught knowingly hiring illegals should be dealt with very harshly.  Not just fines, but jail time.

• Like 1

And it keeps getting better.  For all who have claimed that illegals can't vote...  Apparently, they can...

A federal judge on Thursday tossed a conservative legal group's lawsuit against a controversial Washington, D.C., law that allows noncitizens — including illegal immigrants and foreign embassy staff members — to vote in municipal elections. 

And the citizens of DC have no standing to sue to stop them because reasons.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/federal-judge-dismisses-lawsuit-challenging-dc-noncitizen-voting-law

• Like 1

I will give Democrats credit when credit is warranted.

From the botched Afghan withdrawal abandoning US citizens and the unnecessary deaths of others, inflation, crime and now to the border.

Democrats have mastered the art of relinquishing responsibility and blaming others.  Second to no one.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/karine-jean-pierre-bashed-suggesting-migrants-storming-border-abbotts-responsibility

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, G_Money said:

I will give Democrats credit when credit is warranted.

From the botched Afghan withdrawal abandoning US citizens and the unnecessary deaths of others, inflation, crime and now to the border.

Democrats have mastered the art of relinquishing responsibility and blaming others.  Second to no one.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/karine-jean-pierre-bashed-suggesting-migrants-storming-border-abbotts-responsibility

You remind me of my school reports...."Should try harder".........😂

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wrwest said:

Blame it on my American upbringing … raised in Christian ideals, aging Eagle Scout, educated in history. Comprehension of the plight of others is not a bad thing.

Oh please!  How old are you? Your Christian upbringing probably ended at age 17 or are you still in Mommy's basement? Your post farther above mentions a bleeding heart reason for leaving a country like political repression and poverty but you completely leave out there are prisoners and full blown criminals and mentally unstable individuals crossing the boarder daily. You can't even consider that any completely truthful link from FOX can ever be truthful! Meanwhile CNN has more scandals that are completely disgusting 🤮 within their own current and recent past and I bet you get a hard on watching it.  I guarantee that if you really got your nose out of a biased history book that you own and brush up on real current history of exactly who is arriving in the USA and get off CNN you may see the light. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Those who moan and groan that costs for schools etc are higher yet fail to note that the illegal immigrants take jobs native born don't want (when was the last time you picked berries?) and have taxes and social security taxes deducted from paychecks. Being illegals, they can't have a "real" SSN, so all their payments are gravy to treasury. No refunds on tax returns, either, I'd think.

Contrary to the propaganda on Fox, US leads all major economies on growth after covid. THere are real world data, not just anecdotal fluff right wingers go for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Those who moan and groan that costs for schools etc are higher yet fail to note that the illegal immigrants take jobs native born don't want (when was the last time you picked berries?) and have taxes and social security taxes deducted from paychecks. Being illegals, they can't have a "real" SSN, so all their payments are gravy to treasury. No refunds on tax returns, either, I'd think.

Contrary to the propaganda on Fox, US leads all major economies on growth after covid. THere are real world data, not just anecdotal fluff right wingers go for.

The berries and lettuce pickers can get H2A visas quite easily.

The new breed of illegal aliens ain’t here to pick lettuce.

To include but not limited to Chinese, Venezuela, Haiti and Middle Eastern countries.

Edited by G_Money
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, impulse said:

And it keeps getting better.  For all who have claimed that illegals can't vote...  Apparently, they can...

A federal judge on Thursday tossed a conservative legal group's lawsuit against a controversial Washington, D.C., law that allows noncitizens — including illegal immigrants and foreign embassy staff members — to vote in municipal elections. 

And the citizens of DC have no standing to sue to stop them because reasons.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/federal-judge-dismisses-lawsuit-challenging-dc-noncitizen-voting-law

So, Biden is letting in immigrants so they will vote for him in municipal elections?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Why are you defending these illegals?  Who invited them here to pick berries and break our laws?

They broke the law coming here and broke another law by providing a fake SSN.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

So, Biden is letting in immigrants so they will vote for him in municipal elections?

You just highlighted another example of MAGA propaganda's incoherence. Well it's not like MAGA fans would ever notice it! 😀

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Why are you defending these illegals?  Who invited them here to pick berries and break our laws?

They broke the law coming here and broke another law by providing a fake SSN.

If farm owners don’t hire illegals, illegals wouldn’t be picking berries. 
https://www.voanews.com/a/us-farmers-depend-on-illegal-immigrants-100541644/162082.html

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

Is the presidential election the only one that Dems care about?

• Like 2