The $7 trillion boost to the US economy from immigration has downsides too

Social Media

10 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

If farm owners don’t hire illegals, illegals wouldn’t be picking berries. 
https://www.voanews.com/a/us-farmers-depend-on-illegal-immigrants-100541644/162082.html

You must have missed my reply to Presto.  There is no easy and simple solution to this problem that needs to be addressed by a sorry to say, dysfunctional Congress.

Edited by Hawaiian
Additional comment.
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Why are you defending these illegals?  Who invited them here to pick berries and break our laws?

They broke the law coming here and broke another law by providing a fake SSN.

I am pointing out that by being illegals, they still have to pay taxes and S Security deductions  with no prospect of refunds or benefits (like a legal or citizen would). How can that be some sort of "defending"? Think for a minute.

Big ag invited them in to pick berries and fruit. If they weren't in the US, crops would not be harvested, full stop. That is a fact. Look it up. US isn't all that different from Thailand as far as natives don't want to do physically hard work

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Emdog said:

I am pointing out that by being illegals, they still have to pay taxes and S Security deductions  with no prospect of refunds or benefits (like a legal or citizen would). How can that be some sort of "defending"? Think for a minute.

Big ag invited them in to pick berries and fruit. If they weren't in the US, crops would not be harvested, full stop. That is a fact. Look it up. US isn't all that different from Thailand as far as natives don't want to do physically hard work

So true.  My Thai spouse and I are building a new house and this morning he remarked that all the construction workers are from Burma.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Emdog said:

If they weren't in the US, crops would not be harvested, full stop. That is a fact. Look it up. US isn't all that different from Thailand as far as natives don't want to do physically hard work

Hardly a fact. It's not the hard work.  It's the low wages, perpetuated by the constant availability of mostly illegal workers. 

Offer Americans $100k a year and see how many would gladly get hot and dirty. Which is, of course,  a ridiculous wage.  (Albeit a California lefty wet dream). But it demonstrates that it's not a labor shortage. It's a wages issue. And if they did offer a living wage, food prices wouldn't go up any faster than they already have under Bidenomics.

Edit: Corporate donors would see a drop in profits. Which is why it'll probably never happen, no matter what damage is done by the wide open borders.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Emdog said:

The benefits, free medical, food, debt cards reloaded, hotel rooms/housing given to the non working illegal aliens (why work?) far exceeds the tax brought in by illegals that actually work.

Mexicans are the only group that will “work the fields “.

Chinese, other Latinos, Haitian and Middle Eastern, no way Jose.

Edited by G_Money
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Along with all the other freebies given to illegals they are entitled to free airfare on ConAir Biden Airways

No doubt the planes have been configured to business class seating to keep them happy and ready to vote Democrat.   Biden wouldn’t have it any other way.

Courtesy of the American taxpayers.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/all-senate-dems-vote-against-barring-taxpayer-funds-fly-illegal-migrants-us-towns

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/23/2024 at 5:31 AM, Hawaiian said:

This is JB's latest label for illegal immigrants.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-refers-illegal-immigrants-191002125.html?fr=sycrp_catchall

Speak for yourself.  I don't think using "cheap illegal labor" to keep prices down is the American way.  Personally, I think it is very wrong and employers caught knowingly hiring illegals should be dealt with very harshly.  Not just fines, but jail time.

Yes, it is the American way. Looking the other way, hypocrisy. And yes employers should be punished, but they very rarely are. Doesn't matter what party is in power.

This will go on and on.

On 3/22/2024 at 6:35 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

What the report fails to say is are the taxes collected higher than the costs.

If so the problem isn’t the immigrants but the distribution of the taxes they pay.

In any business around the world, management outcomes like this would not only get the individuals fired, but they would likely be so ridiculed they wouldn’t be able to find another job in their industry. Yet, the same people keep getting put into government positions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 1:47 PM, alex8912 said:

Oh please!  How old are you? Your Christian upbringing probably ended at age 17 or are you still in Mommy's basement? Your post farther above mentions a bleeding heart reason for leaving a country like political repression and poverty but you completely leave out there are prisoners and full blown criminals and mentally unstable individuals crossing the boarder daily. You can't even consider that any completely truthful link from FOX can ever be truthful! Meanwhile CNN has more scandals that are completely disgusting 🤮 within their own current and recent past and I bet you get a hard on watching it.  I guarantee that if you really got your nose out of a biased history book that you own and brush up on real current history of exactly who is arriving in the USA and get off CNN you may see the light. 

Don't watch CNN so cannot comment on that rant. As far as the rest ... so far off base as to be irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1