Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thai Government Intensifies Crackdown on Foreign Criminals to Protect Tourism

webfact

6 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Nobody is hiding the appalling smog levels, nor the road traffic deaths nor any of the other bad things, if any potential tourist was to research those things, they would know in a heartbeat and would holiday in Morecambe instead......or would they!

No; probably Fleetwood instead !

12 hours ago, jonclark said:

That is a matter of opinion ...not fact. I do not think that a bit of swearing and a kick should result in a person's life being torn apart. I feel the punishment should fit the crime. 

Get real. She kicked an 8 month pregnant woman in the abdominal area. Cancel her visa and deport her ASAP!

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

So their logic, if a thai and a foreigner are robbing a 7-11, theyre all going after the foreigner while ignoring the thai

I think you have understood that correctly, assuming the statement in the article is accurate, "Addressing crimes committed by foreigners is of paramount importance to the Royal Thai Police...". Although, they may not "ignore" the Thai, it is of "paramount" importance to get the farang and not so important to get the Thai.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, transam said:

Their country, we are all guests, keep the populace happy.....:intheclub:

It could likewise be said that hosts are beholden to keep their guests happy....

• Thanks 1

I think there has been an increase in crime by visitors, not just appearing that way because of heightened publicity.

Mass tourism will always result in a few individual idiots and criminals doing their thing, but IMO, the reason for this increase directly relates to expanded government policy allowing visa free entry specifically to people from countries like China, Russia and Kazakhstan.  Countries that have evolved with different cultural behaviors relating to law and criminality.

Chinese mafia and gangs have introduced large scale money laundering, counterfeit goods and crypto, gambling and more. The Russian war resulted in large communities suddenly springing up in many regions resulting in increases in illegal workers to cater to them. Kazakhstan is known to have a huge crime problem.

For me, Government policy is causing much of the crisis they are complaining about.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:58 AM, Mike Lister said:
verb
  1. keep (a person or place) under surveillance; closely monitor or observe.
    "he deployed FBI agents to surveil the offices of those companies"

image.gif.35845054a1ac7b7dae1f4d6a860c7e54.gif

image.gif.935f58f6e239593516c2e7448c9eb1b1.gif

Dontcha just love it when the smug grammar police get it wrong?

11 hours ago, bradiston said:

Srettha specifically didn't declare the smog as a disaster because of the impact it would have on tourism. Failing to inform people is deception, a version of fraud. But deception is key to luring.

whether he declares it or not the UK government could still issue a travel warning, if they do insurance companies will react.  It not really up to him even though he thinks it is

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sig said:

I think you have understood that correctly, assuming the statement in the article is accurate, "Addressing crimes committed by foreigners is of paramount importance to the Royal Thai Police...". Although, they may not "ignore" the Thai, it is of "paramount" importance to get the farang and not so important to get the Thai.

people overstaying or working without permits is of no concern to tourists whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I think there has been an increase in crime by visitors, not just appearing that way because of heightened publicity.

Mass tourism will always result in a few individual idiots and criminals doing their thing, but IMO, the reason for this increase directly relates to expanded government policy allowing visa free entry specifically to people from countries like China, Russia and Kazakhstan.  Countries that have evolved with different cultural behaviors relating to law and criminality.

Chinese mafia and gangs have introduced large scale money laundering, counterfeit goods and crypto, gambling and more. The Russian war resulted in large communities suddenly springing up in many regions resulting in increases in illegal workers to cater to them. Kazakhstan is known to have a huge crime problem.

For me, Government policy is causing much of the crisis they are complaining about.

you maybe right but if it wasn't for the half dozen or so examples that have hit the headlines, nobody would be talking about this, not the Thais and not the self flagellators on here who think they can virtue signal their way out of it. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

you maybe right but if it wasn't for the half dozen or so examples that have hit the headlines, nobody would be talking about this, not the Thais and not the self flagellators on here who think they can virtue signal their way out of it. 

I think the examples in the press are in the hundreds now. They're even parading drunk drivers now.

I wasn't denying the publicity has intensified making the problem more visible, and causing some hysteria, but I also believe the relaxed entry rules for some, has had a detrimental effect, as stated. 

I believe much of the current conversation started with the Chinese mafia before the idiot Swiss put his foot in it.

Chinese mafia footprint in Thailand raises questions - Thailand Business News (thailand-business-news.com).

Edited by Old Croc

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

whether he declares it or not the UK government could still issue a travel warning, if they do insurance companies will react.  It not really up to him even though he thinks it is

So all non UK tourists can just carry on regardless, if their governments don't issue a travel warning? I guess that would be the Thai government's attitude. Up to you!

A similar situation, in miniature, occurred on an island I used to live on. There had been some serious stinging events by box jellyfish. Children had suffered. The village elders convened a meeting as to what to do. Should they tell, or not? The foreigners all stood up and said if you don't tell, you lay yourself open to accusations of "They knew but they didn't say anything". In the end, warning signs were put up on beaches along with bottles of vinegar, which promptly disappeared.

11 hours ago, Sig said:

It could likewise be said that hosts are beholden to keep their guests happy....

Why, they left their perfect place, well, didn't they........🤭

17 hours ago, elektrified said:

Get real. She kicked an 8 month pregnant woman in the abdominal area. Cancel her visa and deport her ASAP!

You forgot that she is a revered guest of Thailand from Russia - a 500 Baht fine and a 14 day suspended prison sentence will serve as a stiff reminder to strictly follow the law.

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

So all non UK tourists can just carry on regardless, if their governments don't issue a travel warning? I guess that would be the Thai government's attitude. Up to you!

That's the way I see it.  people can, under normal circumstances go where ever they want , however in the case of the UK if the foreign office issues a travel warning most insurance companies won't cover you, I have no ides how other countries behave but I would imagine it is similar. It normally happens after a natural disaster or some form of civil unrest,  If the UK issues an official warning its likely others will have done the same.   If Thailand were to declare a state of emergency its likely that the UK would repeat it to the general uk population, but I don't think they would necessarily  have to wait for Thailand to do that before issuing any warning

On 3/21/2024 at 11:08 PM, elektrified said:

I read it was in the shins! Chinese whispers........

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1