Songkran NOT in Pattaya

eboy

We are lucky here on Samui - it is only one day.

I go out in the morning and stay at home for the rest of the day.

In the morning, get a little splash from a few young, local Thai kids, but the mayhem usually starts lunch time.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Here's a tip.  Stay away from Silom in Bangkok. This was last year's Songkran, and not even a busy evening.  I'm sure it got wild after my bedtime.

Personally, I enjoy the heck out of watching people enjoy life, if only for a few days.  Especially the kids, and even the drunks.

SilomSongkran.thumb.jpg.bf10f46d5ae26081e9fc837f48818ab6.jpg

Songkran2.thumb.jpg.24d18998b77cb217a02006da12511037.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, eboy said:

I live in Pattaya and I hate Songkran. Having people throw water on me as I walk down the street or sit in a song thau sucks.

Is there a quiet, peaceful, respectful spot in Thailand that I can go to for Songkran where I won't be subjected to the Pattaya-style chaos? Preferably someplace with decent lodging and restaurants and pretty scenery.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Go to Luang Prabang. That's what I used to do when I lived there. Days are warm, nights cool.

Be certain not to return until it's entirely over so... ten days after last official day or weekend holdover. Idiot children still mucking about

39 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

Go to Luang Prabang. That's what I used to do when I lived there. Days are warm, nights cool.

Be certain not to return until it's entirely over so... ten days after last official day or weekend holdover. Idiot children still mucking about

That's in Laos, right?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, eboy said:

That's in Laos, right?

Yes. Been decades since I'd done (2000-05) that but the festivals traditional running three days. Lots of fun, plenty of drinking. Laotian people are absolutely lovely

Stay away from the usual water throwing spots, and you never get bothered by it.

And even then, apart from the odd rogue <deleted>, all the water throwing is finished by sundown.

Obviously, I am not talking about the 19th here.

Way too much whinging about Songkran in Pattaya IMO

Spend the day at the largest shopping mall you can find, see a movie, check for clothes bargains, restaurant choices, etc. If you have a car park inside mall, never exposed to outside "blessings."

Songkran is everywhere in Thailand. Pattaya is probably the most craziest, in my city where it is not touristy they do not have water guns and normally only lasts 3 days 

23 hours ago, eboy said:

I live in Pattaya and I hate Songkran. Having people throw water on me as I walk down the street or sit in a song thau sucks.

Is there a quiet, peaceful, respectful spot in Thailand that I can go to for Songkran where I won't be subjected to the Pattaya-style chaos? Preferably someplace with decent lodging and restaurants and pretty scenery.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

How about the mountain / hill villages around north Chiang Mai /Chiang Rai? Somehow doubt they do all the water throwing, but could be mistaken, any answer ?? Beautiful area in my memories. 

I am going shopping tomorrow (Tues) and then I am intent on staying in until the mayhem is well and truly over. For all those who do not like Songkran, you have my sympathies.

• Haha 1

I found that to survive Songkran you have 2 choices. Lock yourself in your condo or go all in and enjoy yourself with water guns blazing.

Other option of getting pissed off if people spray you is not really an option

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wonder what they don't want to find;

In the silent darkness;

With not a soul around;

Do they fear their own thoughts;

Or life's failures;

Will the loud noises, crushing crowds, beer & whiskey, and laughter shield them;

From the dark;

Will sprays of water and barking dogs wash away what's in their head;

Or will it make the dark serpent twist stronger in strange and unusual ways;

Until the next holiday & celebration;

And delay;

Until you meet the darkness in your head.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

Option 1) Stay home and stock up on food, drinks, snacks before the water starts getting thrown and have the contacts for food delivery.

Option 2) Take a trip out of town for a week or so, Pattaya is the one of the most intense cities for Songkran, meanwhile up in Issan they are tame and respect those that don't want to get wet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I miss the days where Pattaya only did the mad Songkran on the 19th only, sure it gets wilder than other places but it's only 1 day you can plan for, 

I'm sure the Muslim majority place like 3 Provinces down south frown against this sort of thing so you'll be safe there 

2 hours ago, eboy said:

Tell me more about samet, please.

It's about 90 minute drive to Ban Phe, then get the ferry. Use to cost 200 baht entrance fee. Clean sea, relatively laid back. Spent Songkran there a few years back, going again this year. Might be a challenge to book room at this stage, but try Samet Villa Resort - best to phone them - my favourite place on the island.

4 hours ago, eboy said:

Tell me more about samet, please.

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

It's about 90 minute drive to Ban Phe, then get the ferry. Use to cost 200 baht entrance fee. Clean sea, relatively laid back. Spent Songkran there a few years back, going again this year. Might be a challenge to book room at this stage, but try Samet Villa Resort - best to phone them - my favourite place on the island.

There may not be many spots left, but the beaches are great, and if you stay away from the village, you should only get wet from the sea.  

I would get my assets on agoda right away. There are only a few good rooms left

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 9:21 AM, eboy said:

Is there a quiet, peaceful, respectful spot in Thailand that I can go to for Songkran where I won't be subjected to the Pattaya-style chaos?

I'm not a fan, one day maybe fun but after that it just gets annoying.  Its very hard to avoid Songkran in any part of Thailand to the best of my knowledge.

I'm no longer in Thailand full time but what I used to do was go onto the budget airline websites and see what promotions are on.  I know that flight prices have changed but there may still be some bargains available.

Singapore used to be good for a few days out. Vietnam is the next place I want to check out more following a short visit in 2020 for a visa. Several airlines serving both those destinations must surely lead to some healthy competition?

Every SK I would do a road trip. 

In Bangsaen there was an even bigger SK than Pattaya.

Places I used to go...

Any national park.

Laos....but unfortunately they seem to be adopting a mire abd more Thai style festival in bigger towns. Savannakhet was a nightmare just before Covid.

Being on the road itself was quite interesting. Smaller towns had smaller, less manic events. On rural roads it was rather cute...families would gather by the road and if you slowed right down they would throw water and smear the car....then you drive off. They were particularly delighted to see a foreigner.

I have done SK in Pattaya, Bangsaen, Udonthani, Koh Chang Savannakhet and Hua Hin and Samui. Mostly in and out as quickly as possible.... for most of 20 plus years I've avoided it by driving somewhere.

It's worth noting that most of Bangkok it deserted over Songkhran.

• Thanks 1