700+ foreigners caught working Thai-only jobs

george

Just now, PoorSucker said:
On 3/25/2024 at 7:03 AM, hotchilli said:

Thailand it seems only wants short term tourism.

That's old news. After all, they got rid of the snowbirds many years ago, before giving preference to group tours from China and India. Obviously, they never figured out that expats and snowbirds leave more money in the country than one-week, one-time Chinese tourists...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's old news. After all, they got rid of the snowbirds many years ago, before giving preference to group tours from China and India. Obviously, they never figured out that expats and snowbirds leave more money in the country than one-week, one-time Chinese tourists...

ohh, i missread. thought it said short time

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

They thought the quantity and turnover from China would surpass that of longer term tourists or expats

On 3/24/2024 at 7:23 PM, george said:

foreigners caught working Thai-only jobs 

I hope they check out the credentials of that crazy German engineer guy working at Laem Chabang who attacked those women in the Lengkee bar. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

12 hours ago, kwilco said:

Ah - the morons' cliche

If you are going to quote me cobber don't take the half arsed approach and do it selectively - I said "Some" at the beginning of my sentence - intimating that "some" not "all" Thais are waiting for that lottery win as my old man says "they wouldn't work in an iron lung".  But then that's unique and is also the case back in Oz.  

• Love It 1

13 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I think you'll find that the majority of those caught are not Western Foreigners (farang) but other Asians from nearby countries such as Burma, Cambodia and Laos.

All the same to me, non-Thai....🤗

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/24/2024 at 9:06 PM, Celsius said:

Of course not. Everyone here is a multimillionaire that used agents for their retirement extension renewals.

Not all!🤔

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, transam said:

This is not about your immigration woes, it is about farangy's KNOWINGLY violating the employment rules in LOS......

You could start your own thread on your immigration story...😉

Not farangie so much.

Prolly <10%.

Mostly from neighboring countries.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, papa al said:

Not farangie so much.

Prolly <10%.

Mostly from neighboring countries.

Farangy is just a word, in my book it means, NON-THAI...........:clap2:

3 hours ago, SHA 2 BKK said:

If you are going to quote me cobber don't take the half arsed approach and do it selectively - I said "Some" at the beginning of my sentence - intimating that "some" not "all" Thais are waiting for that lottery win as my old man says "they wouldn't work in an iron lung".  But then that's unique and is also the case back in Oz.  

Ah yes the morons cliche justification.

" don't wanna work" what does that even mean?

On 3/25/2024 at 7:08 AM, mikebell said:

Thais won't do jobs that entail work.

Have you ever worked on a farm, like millions do here? I have helped for a few years, my ex's mom's farms, and I will never take away from a Thai how hard daily work here in the sweltering heat is. Did it for a few years, helping out, lifting rice bags onto the tractor trailer, cutting rice and cassava, stacking, digging holes, draining the ponds for fish, etc etc.

I worked outside in Texas making decks with a relative before I moved here, and that was just as hard, as Texas heat actually is tougher than Thailand as far as average, but working here rivals that.

The migrants that work here are usually from bordering countries, hired by Thais cheap. Thais will do the same work, so what they're doing is illegal. It's the same as rich hiring migrant Mexicans in a few states in America to pick fruit. Americans will pick fruit, but not as much as Mexicans, and the migrants work cheaper. They keep them on the farms, and they'll stay until someone rats them out. The employers are the ones who should be fined heavy, as I feel for the migrants who only want to feed themselves and their families.

On 3/25/2024 at 7:20 AM, daveAustin said:

Been noted already, but the bottom line is Thais in general do not like to work boring and mediocre jobs with poor pay.

Is this a joke? that's basically all jobs in Thailand. Selling fried chicken under a metal roof in 38c? Thai people do that crap all day.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Most of the chicks want short-time now, cause they have their l**** Thai boyfriend or husband waiting at home...

don't forget the next, second or third customer....  Time is money.

8 hours ago, transam said:

I think very few Thai folk read here.......😉............🤭

8 hours ago, papa al said:

Farangy is just a word, in my book it means, NON-THAI..

your book

5 5

On 3/25/2024 at 6:16 AM, rwill said:

The town I live in all the people pushing carts around selling coconut ice cream are myanmar/burmese

Do you live in Burma? 🙂

17 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I hope they check out the credentials of that crazy German engineer guy working at Laem Chabang who attacked those women in the Lengkee bar. 

All foreigners in Laem Chabang should be investigated. Loads of dodgy characters working there.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/25/2024 at 12:08 AM, mikebell said:

Thais won't do jobs that entail work.

nonsense. i have many thai friends who are educated to master degree level abroad, in their second language (could you?) and have very good, and well paid jobs. they work very hard and have extremely successful careers and businesses.

i think your narrow minded comment says more about you than about thai people.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, simon43 said:
On 3/25/2024 at 6:16 AM, rwill said:

The town I live in all the people pushing carts around selling coconut ice cream are myanmar/burmese

Do you live in Burma? 🙂

Chombueng, Ratchaburi.  About an hours drive to the Myanmar border though.  Immigration office in Ratchaburi is 90% for Burmese.

10 hours ago, it is what it is said:

nonsense. i have many thai friends who are educated to master degree level abroad, in their second language (could you?) and have very good, and well paid jobs. they work very hard and have extremely successful careers and businesses.

i think your narrow minded comment says more about you than about thai people.

You've obviously never been an employer in Thailand.  It seems, from your answer, that Education is the key to eradicate the lazy gene.  I support that theory having been a teacher for 39 years, (reading and writing French to a high degree; German to a lesser degree; I even passed Latin & have a decent smattering of spoken Thai.)

20 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Have you ever worked on a farm, like millions do here? I have helped for a few years, my ex's mom's farms, and I will never take away from a Thai how hard daily work here in the sweltering heat is.

I did it for a short time on my ex-wife's farm when I was turned 70.  They work hard planting, then take a couple of months off to watch the growing; then a couple of weeks harvesting. Of course there's also the holding a buffalo's rope for 8 hours in the shade.

On 3/25/2024 at 6:51 AM, jacko45k said:

Is it a matter of Thais not wanting to do the job, or the fact that the foreigners will work for less? Often the employers are Thai themselves. 

When I had my house built the majority of the builders workforce were Burmese. My wife asked him about it and he said the Thai labour available were generally from the north and at certain times of the year they would disappear to help with the rice. Made it very difficult to plan the workload.

10 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I did it for a short time on my ex-wife's farm when I was turned 70.  They work hard planting, then take a couple of months off to watch the growing; then a couple of weeks harvesting. Of course there's also the holding a buffalo's rope for 8 hours in the shade.

I don't see anyone taking months off but see them there almost daily doing something. Of course there are the rice farmers who plant, wait then harvest, but they do have to weed, fertilize, among other plantings, and around the house work involving farming. Whatever they do, it's outside where it's uncomfortable most of the year, besides rainy season, where it's still uncomfortable besides being a tad cooler but more humid. Many foreigners stay inside most of the day, either at home or in a bar, with air conditioning, so they don't see it. My ex mother in law is here at this part of the farm, where my house is, at least 5 days a week doing something. It does come with times spent doing nothing, but when they work, it's pretty hard.

On 4/9/2024 at 6:30 PM, tompelli said:

How come fallang wives of Thai can work but fallang husbands of Thai cannot? 

For the same reason they are not required to show money in bank or foreign income every year to Immigration.

Fallang husbands can work provided they are actually married and can get a work permit.