Thai-China high-speed rail set to boost ASEAN connectivity

webfact

3 hours ago, connda said:

$411M USD per kilometer?  That's a whole bunch of rich "brother-in-laws."

Doing an internet search, HSR ranges from $17-30M in China, $24M in France, and $27M in Spain.1 
Thailand?  $$$Cha-Ching$$$

Source:

1 Lowyinstitute.org

Of course it wouldn't have anything to do with the water that is in the way or the freight/passenger integration and border controls.

There may be bit parts available in "Carry On Searching".

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Spock said:

When you look at how the new train in Laos operates like an airline in terms of security screening and the manner in which the road from Vientianne to Luang Prabang has been allowed to deteriorate, you kind of long for the good old days. Not that Laos ever had any such day with a railway.

Yea Laos was never all that, but since the train the roads have turned into one big pot hole.  The reason the roads have gotten in such a bad shape is!  Laos is servicing the debt to China, and does not have the money to keep the infrastructure serviced. 

Going to be a nightmare for the western retiree's that bought into the LOS's BS... haha

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Going to be a nightmare for the western retiree's that bought into the LOS's BS... haha

Not as long as they stay in Vientiane. 

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Not as long as they stay in Vientiane. 

Already started in Thailand. The anti western propaganda is very real . Just the tip of the spear. 

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

A high speed train in Thailand... 🙃
What could possibly go wrong.. :coffee1:

The answer to that question is, 'what could possibly go right'?

6 hours ago, dyertribe said:

This is the perfect way for China to quickly move tanks, equipment and troops through South East Asia once they fire the starting gun.

Doubtful, the line would be a pretty easy target.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Bullet Train from China to Pattaya...I can't wait.

I didn't realise Pattaya was on the route from Kumning to Singapore.

Learn something new every day.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Nong Khai-Vientiane section is set to be the first completed segment of the rail line.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The final design selection for the project will occur this year, and bidding for the project will commence in 2025.

Confusing, the Bangkok to Korat section is well underway and was forecast to be completed by 2025. I believe that target includes several already experienced delays. In the light of the above statements, It would be interesting to learn if that forecast has now been extended.

Or could it be simply bad reporting..........................again!

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the perfect way for China to quickly move tanks, equipment and troops through South East Asia once they fire the starting gun.

Gigantic spit take on this one...

It's a Thai railroad.

And where is China sending all these tanks, equipment and troops, in 2058 when the Khorat section is finally completed?

R&R in Pattaya?

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Roughly translated into "All the better to flood your markets with substandard Chinese goods" .................LOL

You don't seem to understand how the market economy works. The economy follows demand. Quite the opposite of your ramblings:coffee1:

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Post your opinion again if you're sober:post-4641-1156694572:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Last month (February) I flew from Siem Reap to meet up with a UK friend who was visiting Chiang Mai. This was prior to him continuing a two week holiday in Laos. I have since received much comment from him regarding Laos, a country he will never return to. Everywhere he went in Vientianne and Luang Prabang, there were masses of arrogant and rude Chinese with bad habits. Worst were his experiences on the HST to Luang Prabang - massed crowds with no manners. Just imagine when the HST is completed to Bangkok with thousands of ill mannered Chinese masses alighting along the way at Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Korat and Bangkok (many trying to set up small businesses?). When I visited Luang Prabang, pre-covid, it was such a beautiful UNESCO ancient capital city on the Mekong with no Chinese HST. My friend's final comment - Laos has been ruined by the Chinese!

dream on with your chinese bashing, they come anyway by Airplane to LOS, Train will be a option :coffee1:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, blazes said:

On narrow-guage all the speedy way from Bkk to Hua Hin and beyond?

Clickety-click, clickety-clack???

Nothing wrong with narrow gauge went round my bedroom just fine!

• Haha 1

Lao's should be a warning to Thailand not to depend on Chinas "Belt &Road" iniatives.

Laos now has an astronomical 120% debt ratio and it's mostly tied to it's new High Speed Train.

It sure looks nice but shady lone structure and the actual trains path largely favors Chinas trade.  Very few train stations.

However, Thailand seems to work at a snail's pace with a true finish date just a pipe dream. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, moe666 said:

What is the interest rate on the loan China made. Did they also get the concessions along the rail line they ask for as well.

This project is not funded by China in any way. Thailand is just buying the technology and know how, they are not borrowing from China.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, dyertribe said:

What a load of absolute nonsense. 

Yeah, I am sure they are planning to catch a train to invade Thailand, that'll be the thinking behind this. I imagine that would only give the Thais around 8-10 hours' notice, how on earth would they find a way to stop a train in that time?  Impossible right?  Do they construct the rails from special indestructible material? Bridges too? And the electricity supply will also be indestructible. 

Just swallow your western propaganda without questions, good boy.

Oh, and how many countries have been invaded by train before? Ever thought about why they normally begin wars from the air?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1