Bangkok tuk tuk driver and tailor shop scam British YouTuber

snoop1130

This has been going on for decades, not only tailors, but jewelers too, and the best one is when you ask to go to the Palace, it is closed today, I take you to floating market, which is 2 hours out of Bangkok.

And the vlogger stated in his vlog he had to film inside the tailor shop because "I am working". 

If he doesn't have the proper visa permitting this 'work', then Thai Immigration can 'stitch' him up.

• Thanks 1

why did he want to go in that noisy, smelly, uncomfortable Tuk Tuks anyway?  

and you have to be a bit thick not to know there will be selling involved if you agree to go to a shop that sponsers the driver.

i cant see anything the Thai people did wrong here.

• Thanks 1

Nothing new as the tuk tuk and taxis have made cheating customers an institution in Thailand.

But the tailors in Thailand have become worse with cheating in prices, bad materials, bad workmanship. Anybody with the sightest tast can see the difference and how badly the shirts or suits are delivered by the tailors in Nana area of Bangkok.

• Sad 1

I ALWAYS advise friends coming to see me from abroad to NEVER get in a tuk tuk in Bangkok.  I have been scammed and others

have been scammed.  In addition, NEVER listen to touts around Wat Phra Kaeow who try to convince you the Temple

of the Emerald Buddha is Closed, and to take a tour with Them instead.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

2012-58.jpg

A British YouTuber warned foreign tourists of a transport scam in Bangkok, recounting his experience when a tuk tuk driver and a tailor shop attempted to swindle him out of money.

British YouTuber Phil Bland shared the video when he was scammed on his YouTube channel on May 25 of last year. However, the video recently gained attention on Thai social media after it was reposted by the TikTok account, KritPaul.

Bland shared the video with the title saying, Avoid this scam in Bangkok, Thailand. In the video, Bland can be seen negotiating the transportation fare with a Thai tuk tuk driver in a dark blue shirt.

Bland wanted to go to MBK shopping centre and the driver initially quoted a fare of 100 baht. However, the driver offered a 50 baht discount if Bland agreed to make a stop at a tailor shop, which the driver claimed was his sponsor.

The British YouTuber agreed to the condition, thinking it would be fine if he just stopped to look at the shop.

However, when he entered the shop, an employee asked him to turn off his camera. Uncomfortable with the situation, Bland left the store and returned to the driver.

The driver persisted, asking Bland to return to the store without the camera so that he could earn extra money from the store.

Transport scam

During their discussion, a store employee followed Bland outside and told him to stop filming. Bland argued that he was outside the shop and had the right to continue filming.

Bland insisted on going to MBK for the agreed fare of 50 baht. The driver was seen to be angry and said he would take Bland back to his hotel. The driver eventually took Bland to his destination, although he was clearly reluctant.

This issue is not isolated to Bland alone. Recently, a similar problem happened with a South Korean YouTuber, IL Hong Min, in February this year. Hong shared with his followers that he was overcharged at 1,200 baht for a four-hour trip by a tuk tuk driver in the central province of Ayutthaya.

The driver even falsely claimed that using app-based drivers in the province was illegal, leaving Hong without a choice and forcing him to use the tuk tuk service.

Channel 7 reported that the reporter team visited the hotel near Hua Lamphong Train Station where Bland stayed and found several illegal tuk tuk and taxi drivers there.

The media stated that the Prime Minister of Thailand, Srettha Thavisin, and the Bangkok Governor, Chadchart Sittipunt, expressed urgency about the problem and vowed to solve it as soon as possible. Despite their promises, the problem persists and continues to make headlines.

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: Photo via YouTube Channel/ Phil Bland

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-03-25

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

And where is the problem? All it was an agreed deal. ("Don't pay the ferryman until he gets you to the other side")🙏

I hate YouTubers...there needs to be a revolt against these clowns (videoing everything and the manufacturered selective outrage they promote) where we bar slap the phones right out of their hands whenever we encounter one 😂

11 hours ago, Kinnock said:

If you want to go direct to your destination, use Grab.  If you want a mini adventure, take a tuk tuk.  Experienced travellers have known this for decades.

Not even a scam .... just the tailor shop paying commission for visitors .... he could pay the full fare, but then he'd have no story for his channel.

Agree. When I was looking at Chiang Mai as a possible retirement, I was offered to be taken around in  a Tik Tuk. No scam the driver took meo a gem factory, to Big C, to Taylor shop, etc. He was quite open about his getting a tip at each shop for brining a potential customer by. I got almost a full day being taken around in a city with which I not familiar. On another trip in Bangkok, I was taken to the Manhattan Taylor Shop where I bought 3 shirts and two suits. I counted neither experience as negative as I was fully aware of what to expect on both our parts.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, thesetat said:

Why say again? Do you think it has ever stopped? 

These TukTuks are notorious doing this type of scam to foreigners. They have been doing it for many many years. 

Where is the scam ?

The only scammer is the Youtube person who agreed to go to the shop for a discount price , and then refused to go into the shop .

The youtube guy is the scammer 

A muppet trying to create clickbait, you tubers wind me up get a real job, a fairly common thing in any country someone getting commission for customers, he got the original deal that he was told how is anyone scammed? An entitled idiot looking for clicks on his site.

• Like 1

Back in the day taxi drivers would get a "commission" if they brought a passenger to gem store. A friend of mine used to suggest to a taxi driver that he would go to the gem store in the taxi, the driver could claim his "commission" and then split the commission and have lunch together.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shotover said:

And the vlogger stated in his vlog he had to film inside the tailor shop because "I am working". 

If he doesn't have the proper visa permitting this 'work', then Thai Immigration can 'stitch' him up.

Yeah a pure case of working under the wrong visa that youtuber deport and blacklist the Kn0b

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Kinok Farang said:

Read about this and the gem scam 20 years ago before i first came here.

Do your <deleted> homework.Idiot.

This isn't a scam though . 

He was asked whether he wanted to go to a shop for a discounted tuk tuk fare and he agreed to that .

There was no scam . 

He agreed to everything 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

This isn't a scam though . 

He was asked whether he wanted to go to a shop for a discounted tuk tuk fare and he agreed to that .

There was no scam . 

He agreed to everything 

But he is a tool creating fake drama.

• Agree 1