MHS loop or Fang-Thaton-Chiang Rai loop

Got 4 nights spare. Starting in CM. Can do either loop. I know Rai, Chiang Dao and Pai a bit. I don't know the other places.

The other option is just do stuff near CM like sticky waterfall and that short Samoeng Loop.

What would you recommend?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

Got 4 nights spare. Starting in CM. Can do either loop. I know Rai, Chiang Dao and Pai a bit. I don't know the other places.

The other option is just do stuff near CM like sticky waterfall and that short Samoeng Loop.

What would you recommend?

Big bike or scooter?

The Doi Angkhang loop, as mentioned by PoorSucker, is nice. A night in Chang Dao, two at Angkhang... you could cut across to your 'sticky' falls (assuming you mean Bua Thong) on the way back. You could also do the MHS loop in that kind of time, but a lot more arduous driving/riding. Much better on a bike, esp a scrambler type with hybrid tyres.

• Thanks 1

I've done both several times. I'd do MHS - Pai, fish cave near MHS, MHS, long neck village, usually elephants on the road down that way, Mae Sariang, cut inland to Doi Inthanon then home down the Mae Wang valley. 

Road to Fang is boring, go via Phrao, catch the sticky waterfall on the way down, Tha Ton, teacup temple, go up Doi Lang to the best moo katter place in Northern Thailand. Doi Mae Salong, early in the morning be at the Golden Horse Temple, before 8am, see the monks ride back from collecting alms, Doi Tung, Chiang Saen, Opium museum, and if you can be in Chiang Saen on a Saturday night there's an excellent night market overlooking the river.   

Rai, Chiang Dao and Pai are great places, but if you want something new, you can explore other areas near Chiang Mai. Sticky waterfall and the short Samoeng loop are an excellent option for short trips and eventful holidays. However, if you prefer not to spend a lot of time getting around and want to stay close to Chiang Mai, then concentrating on exploring nearby attractions also sounds tempting.