Aussie arrested in Koh Pha Ngan after joyride on stolen motorcycle

webfact

https://www.facebook.com/helmut.obritzberger.1

🤍🦋🤍
___ Das habe ich gerade einem Freund geschrieben der hier in Koh P’hangan wohnt.
Hallo, Steve, ich bin hier aristiert in der Polizeistation in Koh Samui, ich brauche ganz dringend eine Telefonnummer von einem guten Rechtsanwalt ganz dringend, ich werde heute bei Gericht vorgeführt, weil ich verdächtigt bin ein Motorrad am 2.3 2024 gestohlen zu haben. Dies ist aber ein Irrtum! Der Mann, von dem ich das Bike gekauft habe hat dieses einen Tag zuvor gestohlen. , ich war bereits am 11. März schon hier auf der Polizeistation. bei einem 7 Stunden langen Verhör. Für die Polizei ist klar, dass ich unschuldig bin. Für das Gericht ( Court ) muss das noch bestätigt werden. Das Gericht hat also jetzt gesagt, dass ich vorgeführt werden muss. Das heißt, ich brauche eine Rechtsanwalt. Kennst Du einen guten⁉️ Bitte um seine Nummer und seine Kontaktdaten. danke schön.
‼️‼️‼️ Kennst Du wem der wem kennt der einen Rechtsanwalt kennt

I just wrote this to a friend who lives here in Koh P’hangan.
Hello, Steve, I'm here at the police station in Koh Samui, I urgently need a telephone number from a good lawyer, I'm being brought before the court today because I'm suspected of stealing a motorcycle on March 2nd, 2024. But this is a mistake! The man I bought the bike from stole it the day before. , I was already here at the police station on March 11th. during a 7 hour long interrogation. It's clear to the police that I'm innocent. This still needs to be confirmed for the court. So the court has now said that I have to be produced. That means I need a lawyer. Do you know a good one? Ask for his number and contact details. Thank you very much.
Do you know who who knows who who knows a lawyer?
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Sure he's an Australian not Austrian 🤔

Around 15 years ago I bought a Buell, the bikes green book said I was Austrian not Australian. 

This crazy stuff happens often. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Obritzberger is facing charges under Section 335 of the Criminal Law for committing theft during nighttime. The penalty for this offence ranges from one to five years of imprisonment and a fine ranging from 20,000 to 100,000 baht.

Is penalty for committing theft during the day or morning any different. 😎

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, heybuz said:

Helmul Ing Obritzberger,AUSTRALIAN?  AUSTRIAN?

This is Thaiger!

However, this is not impossible: a German native speaker can migrate to another country and gets the new citizenship there.

This is not uncommon, one famous example in history being mining engineer Wilhelm Böing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Police arrested an Australian man for allegedly stealing a motorcycle from a rental shop in Koh Samui and taking it on a joyride [...]

Possible reason for this can be: that Austrian guy has a Swedish lover, who told him while on his motorbike "Hello you fool, I love you! Come on join the joyride"!

Before foreigners steal, sell drugs, and so on, they should ask themselves: "Can I tolerate living in a cramped, hot, noisy, and smelly prison cell and sleeping on a hard floor in a very small space for (1-20) years?

• Thumbs Up 1

300,000 baht bike you could buy two of those for less he must of put the bike on the Haadrin Queen boat as there are no longer any vehicle ferries coming from Samui to the main ferry terminal in KP

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Police arrested an Australian man for allegedly stealing a motorcycle from a rental shop in Koh Samui and taking it on a joyride to Koh Pha Ngan in the southern province of Surat Thani.

The manager of the Fanta Group Car Rental Shop in Koh Samui, Jurairat Janrung, filed a complaint with Bor Phut Police Station on March 3, reporting the theft of a motocross motorcycle worth about 300,000 baht. The 32 year old Jurairat suspected the theft occurred on the night of March 2.

Officers checked security cameras and saw a man, later identified as 56 year old Helmul Ing Obritzberger, enter the rental shop and disappear. Another CCTV camera reportedly showed Obritzberger leaving the scene on a motorcycle.

Further investigation revealed that Obritzberger took the motorcycle to a ferry at Ban Bangrak Pier in Koh Samui, heading to Koh Pha Ngan. The Australian man then disappeared from police sight after arriving on the island.

Police tried to track down the motorcycle using its registration number, ปป 4493 but were unable to find it anywhere on the island.

After three weeks of searching, police found that Obritzberger had changed the registration plate of the motorcycle to 1 กว 1982, changed the colour of the wheels, and changed his clothes upon arrival at Koh Pha Ngan.

However, officers managed to identify him by his footwear. They located Obritzberger and apprehended him on Koh Pha Ngan at approximately 5pm on Tuesday, March 26.

Obritzberger is facing charges under Section 335 of the Criminal Law for committing theft during nighttime. The penalty for this offence ranges from one to five years of imprisonment and a fine ranging from 20,000 to 100,000 baht.

Although Obritzberger admitted that it was him captured in the security camera footage, he denied stealing the motorcycle and requested to engage his lawyer. However, the officers remained unconvinced and transported him to Koh Samui Court for temporary detention.

Police told MGR Online that the Australian man frequently visited Koh Pha Ngan but did not stay in hotels or resorts on the island. He was seen staying in a tent near a hotel or shopping mall.

Police added that Obritzberger previously rented motorbikes on the island and refused to pay fees, although no formal complaints had been made against him.

By Petch Petpailin

Photo via MGR Online

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-28

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

I'm going out on a limb, but but is it possible he's from Austria... not Australia. Anyway, if guilty  he deserves what he gets.

2 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Aussies are out of control in Bali, always in the news. Even while enroute, lots of fights on board.

Are you sure he is an Aussie.. I know what the article says, but his name, and the fact it often gets reported incorrectly, could he be from Austria. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Aussies are out of control in Bali, always in the news. Even while enroute, lots of fights on board.

Few fights  geez, racist, taking a nation because of a few, anyway, this is not about Bali... and is your nature so pure.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

300,000 baht bike you could buy two of those for less he must of put the bike on the Haadrin Queen boat as there are no longer any vehicle ferries coming from Samui to the main ferry terminal in KP

Yes, the Haadrin Queen will take bikes - for a price.

The others will not.

19 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

How do you know that he was rational before coming to Thailand ?

Thailand also attracts dishonest thieves who move to Thailand and make a living doing dodgy things

Maybe he was a thief back home as well ?

what does it matter?

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

That's just what we expats needed, another foreigner behaving like a pratt.

but, as the truly blithe keep telling us:

"It doesn't affect me, I'm a good boy."

More to the point tourist have been morons since day one. What has changed is the fact that now every misstep is publicized

Not the brightest one clearly, if he only went to the mainland and started driving elsewhere he might have had a chance to enjoy some months or years longer lol. There is some strange Disney land type of thing on Phangan that makes everyone believe they can do whatever they want there, and in reality they actually get away with most, it's entirely different than Thailand.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

6 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Yes, the Haadrin Queen will take bikes - for a price.

The others will not.

I brought two bikes over on the HQ 10 years ago watching them carry my VFR 400r across a tiny gangplank was terrifying. They told me up front they took no responsibility if they dropped it.

Anything identifiable as a rental bike would likely rate a call to the owner from  the haadrin queen  

• Like 1