Plans for Thailand's first nuclear power plant

george

15 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Nothing scares me more than knowing Thai's might try running a Nuclear Power plant.

Yes indeed. With Thailand's Health & Safety record, what possibly could go wrong? Chernobyl comes to mind! 

Igor Kostin: Chernobyl - The Aftermath

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Nothing scares me more than knowing Thai's might try running a Nuclear Power plant.

Yes indeed. With Thailand's Health & Safety record, what possibly could go wrong? Chernobyl comes to mind! 

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Chernobyl nuclear power station consisted of four operating 1,000-megawatt power reactors

Thai plan to have small new generation nuclear rectors helped by Usa. 

70mw reactors 

A little cain reaction there Bill. 5 posts 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

If you're still alive. It takes more than 10 years to build and cost 13000000000 Euro at least.

They will not be large nuclear power plants but very small ones scattered all over Thailand which could already be ready by next year as has already been written above. But I doubt the maintenance is all automatic.

• Agree 1

So many scaremongering and basically illiterate posts, tho not surprising.

Do yourselves a favour and look into existing nuclear plants as well as development, by country, especially new gen and SMRs. Thailand with either a Chinese, US, Japanese, South Korean or British partner will be fine, especially if talking SMRs.

Then research the number of countries embarking on the safest form of energy generation, reliable with virtually no emissions. Ponder over why France with 70% nuclear power has amongst cheapest energy in Europe while Germany amongst the highest. It goes on and on. The science and reality is compelling. 

https://www.power-technology.com/features/where-will-the-first-small-modular-nuclear-reactors-be/?cf-view

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, BE88 said:

They will not be large nuclear power plants but very small ones scattered all over Thailand which could already be ready by next year as has already been written above. But I doubt the maintenance is all automatic.

Ready next year😂😂😂🤗🤗🤗🤣🤣🤣. Sorry,Sir, fool's day's in 3 days time. 🥳

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

That day is already taken up by Big Joke and also the next two for TAT and PM. I only had today free 😋

• Haha 1

It has gone wrong on reactors in USA, Russia and Japan.

USA poor equipment and operators not knowing how to act.

Russia , ruptures in cooling system and explosions.

Japan , earthquake and tsunami, giving problems.

But many countries are starting to pick it up. Germany shut down, but will start again, im sure.

Especially now with climate change. And of course Ukrainian war. Russian gas to zero(NOT). All EU is still buying gas from Russia.

UK is now building a monster of powerplant, Hinkley. And more to come. plans.

They started in 2017, still not done and costs rose from 25 billion to 50 billion  £ and a 3 year delay.

SO why not Thailand? They will have too. Maybe also do some infra structure to have it all work properly.

"My country" faces now problems with that and costs lots of effort and money to change.

But will take years. They just made the decision, after 8 years!! of renewing the submarines.

From France, I hope they didnt forget about the engines. The first new one will be ready in 2034 !! 

All is waiting on nuclear fusion. 

In the mean time Bill Gates also decided to built a nucleair plant. Sodium liquid cooled !

Well at least no pressurized water cooling system, however sodium is highly flammable with air

and has an explosive burning when in contact with water. I hope they keep the water out.

You have to exchange the heat to water at one point for making steam.

But they did already in past, so all will be well, or not?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, quake said:

There will be many countries that will help with all needs, to build, run, and maintain a nuclear plant here.

It's 2024 man,  not the 1950s  :coffee1:

Until the Thais decide that they are no longer needed because, "we got this".

It may be 2024 but some people in the government that oversee such projects are still stuck in the 1950's.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, quake said:

Well it's close enough to the  1st April. :giggle:

Ps, I do believe they have a small reactor at some university in Thailand for many years now.

Yes thats the Ongarak one north of Bangkok near Nakon Nayok  imfamous for the selling irradiated Uranium back in the 90s to scrap dealers who made them into Bhudda amulets .

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

The nah sayers on here haven't a clue about the capabilities and intellect of the Thai people who are not part of the entertainment, accomodation and leeches that they associate with most of the time.

I find the Thai people whom I deal with at govt. and upper-corporate management level infinitely more divisive, emotionally unstable, greedy, corrupt, and dangerous than any of those in the lowly 'service industry' that I have met over the last 33 years of living here.

🙏

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

The best Nuclear reactors are French , they also have the most experience as they have built more than almost anyone and are constantly updating and building more .

UK used to be a leader up to the 1970s with the Magnox and fast breeder programs but lost their way due to politics and bureaucracy on big systems .However Rolls Royce are a leader in SMR technology ,,forget Russian  and Chinese  ones ,,, USA  SMR tech from submarine programme is proven  but large scale they are  behind the times. Japan lost the plot but they have some good designs .

Edited by liddelljohn
  • Like 1

The Greens have done a lot of good, 

But , in their overreaction over nuclear power plants they might have caused the biggest environmental disaster in the history of humanity.   

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Yes, next year!

To give an example; Toshiba 4S with the capacity of up to 50MWe needs a 30m deep by 4m wide hole in the ground to house the complete reactor and some small(ish) external building to house the electric generators and any other equipment you might want, like water desalination and hydrogen generator. Passive safety, no maintenance, no operators. Lifespan; 30 years. Don't tell me you can't dig a 30m hole in one year...  

https://newenergyandfuel.com/http:/newenergyandfuel/com/2009/11/05/here-come-the-japanese-nuclear-reactors/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

In Australia the Federal Opposition (Liberal Party) is steadily moving towards SMRs to take over from coal-burning, and using the same sites. Policy being formulated for use at the next Federal general election (by May 2025).

The current government (Labor Party) is having a nervous breakdown at the very thought. EVERYONE KNOWS that a largish modern economy can exist on renewables alone ...

At this stage the next election is up for grabs, mostly about the economy & inflation (in other words Me Me Me! as usual) But the 'going nuclear' issue will focus people's minds. Current polls suggest that young voters don't share the anti-nuclear prejudices of older Labor voters ...

Edited by mfd101