Plans for Thailand's first nuclear power plant

george

7 minutes ago, gearbox said:

The Chinese are at the forefront of the nuclear technology, the only Gen 4 commercially working reactor in the world is there.

However the Thais are probably better off having wind farms in the gulf, and there are plenty of opportunities in residential solar too. The cost of the solar panels and wind turbines has gone down a lot.

The downside is the areal consuming technology like solar panels and windmills, as well needs infrastructure. 

To deliver the power where its needed for the high consuming industry. 

Every house and building can provide little bit, but, still far away from whats needed. 

17 minutes ago, quake said:

How about Koh Samui.

Can get rid of them pesky foreigners.

a win win. :giggle:

underwater cables then to deliver to mainland, and no more need for a bridge? Win win

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't too much about up keep.... initial construction could keep me awake nights. Cheating on every sort of inspection and quality of concrete, steel, you name it. Too many buildings here have fallen/collapsed before they are even finished to everyone pitching in to make a dismal product. Silver lining might be it built so bad cannot even start it up....

If Russians help out, maybe name it "Chup Chern Nobyl"?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Between Thailand preparing for nuclear power plants (engineers anyone?) and Oz preparing for building, manning & running its own nuclear-powered submarines in the 2040s, I'm not sure where the worst risks lie.

Where do you get your info... Australia certainly isn't planning any nuclear power stations, get you "facts" right... lies don't help.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Less waste with modern technology, and really not as big problems and affect us and enviroment less than plastic just to make an comparison

So  you would be happy to live close to it.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Where do you get your info... Australia certainly isn't planning any nuclear power stations, get you "facts" right... lies don't help.

And where did I mention Oz building nuclear power stations?  Get your reading up to scratch. Lies don't help.

14 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

So  you would be happy to live close to it.

nope, depending on what close means? I already stated in next post, very limited places in Thailand where it is possible to make a nuclear plant. 

but if you look at statistics, nuclear powerplants is relative safe with very little risk. Plastic is worse for the enviroment right now than nuclear waste. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Nothing scares me more than knowing Thai's might try running a Nuclear Power plant.

Doesn't scare me more than knowing that Russia is running NPP's

9 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

No need to worry. China will built the plant for them.

But no one will sell them a reactor. Maybe it will get lost in translation and they will spend the budget on tractors.

China is making it's own reactors.

5 hours ago, quake said:

It's one of  the ways forward.

Go for it Thailand.

Phuket would be a good location for the first one. :thumbsup:

could be a good place next to the Thai/Chineese Kra canal thinking of water supply and already going to industrilize a larger area 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

could be a good place next to the Thai/Chineese Kra canal thinking of water supply and already going to industrilize a larger area 

Most places Inside the gulf of Thailand should be ok.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, quake said:

Most places Inside the gulf of Thailand should be ok.

Im thinking more of innland and not to close to the  beaches risking the already challenged and exploited fauna around Thailands coastline. 

Along The Kra canal could be a good placement

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Im thinking more of innland and not to close to beaches with risking the alrsdy challenged and exploited fauna around Thailands coastline. 

Fair enough.

I don't think many here watched the video before posting.

Thailand is talking of deploying SMR's, which are typically 10-100 MVe, not some huge TWe monstrosity that takes 20 years to build.

SMR's can be deployed in a standard size container. They are fully build at a factory, and after deployment do not require maintenance or re-fueling for 20-30 years, also have much lower security requirements. Once the fuel is spent, they can just be replaced with another unit, and the old one goes back to the factory to be rebuilt.

IMO, SMR is the way to go with nuclear deployment.

Currently, there is much scaremongering by the green/leftists about the nuclear power. Most of it from people that do not even know how to spell "nuclear".

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

I don't think many here watched the video before posting.

Thailand is talking of deploying SMR's, which are typically 10-100 MVe, not some huge TWe monstrosity that takes 20 years to build.

SMR's can be deployed in a standard size container. They are fully build at a factory, and after deployment do not require maintenance or re-fueling for 20-30 years, also have much lower security requirements. Once the fuel is spent, they can just be replaced with another unit, and the old one goes back to the factory to be rebuilt.

IMO, SMR is the way to go with nuclear deployment.

Currently, there is much scaremongering by the green/leftists about the nuclear power. Most of it from people that do not even know how to spell "nuclear".

Totally agree with you, safety has greatly improved since Chernobyl and France has been proving for years that it is the perfect solution.
It is a matter of time and coming up with reasonable arguments to convince humanity that it is a good solution.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Nothing scares me more than knowing Thai's might try running a Nuclear Power plant.

Yes indeed. With Thailand's Health & Safety record, what possibly could go wrong? Chernobyl comes to mind!

Igor Kostin: Chernobyl - The Aftermath

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes indeed. With Thailand's Health & Safety record, what possibly could go wrong? Chernobyl comes to mind!

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1