Plans for Thailand's first nuclear power plant

george

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Just like France, let's put it as far away as possible. I suggest the Golden triangle. 

pou27md3vk641.jpg

France has 56 active nuclear reactors. 

• Sad 3

Laughing of Thailand? 

Look a Usa 1960 and vs today? Look at Emirates and Saudi in same timespan? China, 

Things developing, things changes, and Thailand Im sure will join the wagon for future. Not so optimistic about our part of world where we go backwards. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The waste material ..will go where .... side of the road 

regards Worgeordie

Less waste with modern technology, and really not as big problems and affect us and enviroment less than plastic just to make an comparison

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Or Chinese of course.

Yes, and foreign experts are not allowed to work the reactor, after all, work that can also be done by Thais should not be outsourced to foreigners.
No problem right?😁

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wasabi said:

It is not a bad idea as long as it is not built or maintained by Thai people.

Yes, and foreign experts are not allowed to work the reactor, after all, work that can also be done by Thais should not be outsourced to foreigners.
No problem right?

• Confused 1

This is not a good idea on so many fronts.  These nuclear plants need a lot of maintenance, safety checks, and constant monitoring.  Are the Thais willing to commit to this?  I am not so sure.  I feel that the next thing we will hear is "Thailand's first nuclear clean up" after a meltdown.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

This is not a good idea on so many fronts.  These nuclear plants need a lot of maintenance, safety checks, and constant monitoring.  Are the Thais willing to commit to this?  I am not so sure.  I feel that the next thing we will hear is "Thailand's first nuclear clean up" after a meltdown.

Despite some high profile incidents in various other places the US boasts the highest number of nuclear reactor accidents.

It seems perverse to predict a problem in Thailand even before a large reactor exists. Have never heard of any issues with the small research facility in Bangkok that has been there since 1962.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

There will be many countries that will help with all needs, to build, run, and maintain a nuclear plant here.

It's 2024 man,  not the 1950s  :coffee1:

Edited by quake
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, quake said:

There will be many countries that will help with all needs, to build, run, and maintain a nuclear plant here.

It's 2024 man,  not the 1950s  :coffee1:

Same ones who helped with the Yellow Line?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yeah, like lets put it down south in the heavy muslim violent areas and keep our fingers crossed. 

Might give Malay Muslims leverage to get back their sovereignty. Good idea.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yeah, like lets put it down south in the heavy muslim violent areas and keep our fingers crossed. 

Might give Malay Muslims leverage to get back their sovereignty. Good idea.

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It needs a location with no tsunami risk, earthquakes and enough cooling water, leaving very few safe places left for a nuclear plant in Thailand. 

How about Koh Samui.

Can get rid of them pesky foreigners.

a win win. :giggle:

Edited by quake

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Or Chinese of course.

The Chinese are at the forefront of the nuclear technology, the only Gen 4 commercially working reactor in the world is there.

However the Thais are probably better off having wind farms in the gulf, and there are plenty of opportunities in residential solar too. The cost of the solar panels and wind turbines has gone down a lot.

Thailand is a net energy importer, primarily LNG. In 2018 its oil-fired plants generated 65% of Thailand‘s electricity while coal-fired plants produced 20%.

Nuclear fission is nearly 8,000 times more efficient at producing energy than traditional fossil fuels.

I can't see Thailand being capable of replacing most of its 85% energy based solely on alternative renewable energy sources (minimal areas and elevations for adequate winds, large water surfaces, large open spaces). Especially if Thailand wants to be the energy hub of southeast Asia. Nuclear power also aligns with the new government's commitment to the UN to reduce greenhouse gases. 

I approve this message.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1