Unkown speeding ticket.

On 3/30/2024 at 8:51 AM, transam said:

We had a thread on here not that long ago about non-payment of traffic fines, and that now they were going after non payers with another fine on top for not paying. So how many have you got, how much will it add up to, including the (I think) 1000bht fine, EACH.....................🤣

ive already answered that, they arent doing this in Pranburi or Bangkok, being as thats the only places I go I cant vouch for the rest of  Thailand, however as one person commented it seems if its  not in their area they dont link up with another province ie you get a speeding ticket in Prachuapm and try to tax it  in Prachuap they "might" get you, but even then I have domne that with no problem just a few  weeks  ago. I also said I have retaxed 2 of my own and the Wifes  car and all had speeding or violating a  rule tickets recently with no problem.

They said  about 18 months  ago they were doing this and havent, also said you would get "demerit"  points on your  licence.

• Like 1

had quite a few speeding tickets over the years, had about 12 under my desk 

Told by Thais not to bother paying them so never did 

even the roadside stops, would argue no photo, no pay and again not paid one for years

have no problem taxing my motors , was taxed only last month 

but they are still registered to my old address, so not sure how many they get through the post now

where i am, there are no speed limits, no signs, no cameras and very few police, so no worries here , 

12 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

ive already answered that, they arent doing this in Pranburi or Bangkok, being as thats the only places I go I cant vouch for the rest of  Thailand, however as one person commented it seems if its  not in their area they dont link up with another province ie you get a speeding ticket in Prachuapm and try to tax it  in Prachuap they "might" get you, but even then I have domne that with no problem just a few  weeks  ago. I also said I have retaxed 2 of my own and the Wifes  car and all had speeding or violating a  rule tickets recently with no problem.

They said  about 18 months  ago they were doing this and havent, also said you would get "demerit"  points on your  licence.

If you want to be a chancer over a few quid, up to you, as they say.......🤗

Just now, transam said:

If you want to be a chancer over a few quid, up to you, as they say.......🤗

Theyre  hardly  going to arrest me and lock me up for speeding, ill chance on like 90% of Thais............I do though have another option Ive used once before.........phone a  friend, friend works in the Thai Police called him got a  ticket cancelled. When I saw the ticket later it said "paid" 100 baht so someone in the Police wrote it down as paid when really it never  was. This was for No Numberplate ona new  car stopped at a  toll booth. Driven for 6  months with no number whilst dealer dragged his feet over it.

On 3/28/2024 at 4:37 AM, rainyday said:

My wife went to pay the yearly car taxes today. Surprise surprise, she had to pay for a fine-ticket we did not know about, or she would not get the tax sticker. Apparently I have been speeding in Chiangrai about 3 months ago. No further information could be given! Pic of my car with license plate: NO, exact speed: NO, exact location: NO.... How can one check if it's correct? 3 months later and, in theory, could have been almost a year. The tax-lady told my wife to go to Chiangrai to check with the police........
Is this something new to fill the coffers?

That is basically what they sent me years ago...a pic of me speeding? in my truck & you could see my face clearly. Fine was not bad 500 baht

I thought it would be funny to send them a pic of 500 baht but thought they may not get the joke 😛 

So paid up 😉 Comparing to home country fine + rise in insurance premiums 500 baht was a good deal I guess

Edited by mania

• 2 weeks later...

OK guy's. Some of you do not understand my language at all. So again, and for the last time; I NEVER GOT ANY TICKET. I NEVER GOT ANY PICTURE. I NEVER GOT ANY LETTER. I NEVER GOT ANYTHING...... How can I suppose to know "what" "where" "when"..... I drive 40.000 km a year by car and about 10.000 km a year by motorbike. They just told us "you were speeding" 3 (or more) months ago, around that area and about that speed. Sorry, we do not have a picture, we cannot give you any proof. But you have to pay to get your tax-sticker. HOW CAN I CHECK AND DEFEND MYSELF???????????

16 minutes ago, rainyday said:

OK guy's. Some of you do not understand my language at all. So again, and for the last time; I NEVER GOT ANY TICKET. I NEVER GOT ANY PICTURE. I NEVER GOT ANY LETTER. I NEVER GOT ANYTHING...... How can I suppose to know "what" "where" "when"..... I drive 40.000 km a year by car and about 10.000 km a year by motorbike. They just told us "you were speeding" 3 (or more) months ago, around that area and about that speed. Sorry, we do not have a picture, we cannot give you any proof. But you have to pay to get your tax-sticker. HOW CAN I CHECK AND DEFEND MYSELF???????????

I think you have a fair point..... But I wouldn't let it bother me, especially for a few weeks.... 

Any tickets we have ever had (and we've had plenty of them) include a photo, location, date, time, speed....

The fines get sent to my Wife's parents house for some reason... even though the car itself all of her ID and records are at our house (for the last 5 years at least).... so it's possible the fine was sent elsewhere (and older registered address perhaps) - its also possible the fine was lost in the post. 

I'm not sure how you can defend yourself...... Though, as the DLT system has registered the offence they should be able to reissue the ticket. 

In the same situation I think its fare to 'give a little push-back'.... calm and polite, and ask for a senior official in the DLT to explain why they can't issue a ticket... 

All of that said: the speeding ticket is probably about 500 baht - so hardly worth the hassle...     I wouldn't bother arguing the toss if it means I can't get taxed etc.... as thats more hassle than paying the ticket and I very much doubt there is any scam going on....

-----------

A number of years back I was pulled over at the traffic lights by the BiB (so was the car in front), I was told I had been speeding... But, they couldn't tell me what speed I was travelling at....  They just told me a manned speed camera down the road had clocked me and radioed it up to the check-point. Two different officers gave me different speed limits for the road (95 and 90 kmh)...   I was stubborn but polite and after a few mins the BiB said, ok... go on but drive safely.... 

The reality was that I had been speeding (pretty much every car on the road was), so I don't think it was a scam...  I just don't think they considered the burden of proof... 

Edited by richard_smith237

On 3/29/2024 at 8:23 AM, Rampant Rabbit said:

I dont pay any of the fines and have still taxed my cars without problem, that 3  different vehicles.

They do better  not  concentrating on speed  and more on just sheer fkin awful driving, tailgating, no lights, hogging  the lane total lack of  attention  to the road, speed is the least of their worries when addressing the others would save way more  lives

I would  agree that overall speed is last in issues that would  justify serious  application of infringement penalties. Unfortunately the final factor in many serious fatal  accidents is the established speed at which  events involving many/all of the common elements Thai drivers contribute to sad outcomes.

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And then pay more in the fines when stopped at the check points ? (which often look out for tax infringements)...   

Batman.gif

Yes. Give them nothing. Worldwide cars are used to extort people. They don’t check for tax where I drive south down highway 4 but I know they do in other parts. 

never pay. It’s a shakedown. 

14 hours ago, rainyday said:

I NEVER GOT ANY TICKET. I NEVER GOT ANY PICTURE. I NEVER GOT ANY LETTER. I NEVER GOT ANYTHING

Why all the fuss and hollering, 500฿ is ~$15.00 USD, it’s really nothing to get worked up about. Why not just pay it and move on, or is this a drama issue?  

8 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Yes. Give them nothing. Worldwide cars are used to extort people. They don’t check for tax where I drive south down highway 4 but I know they do in other parts. 

never pay. It’s a shakedown. 

Erm... If you haven't paid your tax and been stopped at a Check-Point and found not to have paid the tax - its not a 'shake-down' its called 'getting caught out'.... 

I've driven through loads of check-points in the car - the BiB have a glance at the car and inside (Open the windows or at night turn on the lights to make it easier for them)... nothing to see here - always waved on.

Except once - when I was told my tax was out of date...   Surely it wasn't.

I argued also laughed because I thought the shakedown was too obvious. 

I got out looked at my tax disc (square - whatever its called - can't read Thai), so took a google translate photo - It was two months out of date - I'd been caught out (in getting my tax dates wrong).

I laughed, told the BiB - Yup... my mistake....   then we went through the 'on the spot fine negotiation' which got down to 200 baht

I got back in the car, handed him a 100 Baht note and smiled, then drove off while the officer was still shouting and laughing, no its 200 baht !!! - rather amusing.....  

6 hours ago, novacova said:

Why all the fuss and hollering, 500฿ is ~$15.00 USD, it’s really nothing to get worked up about. Why not just pay it and move on, or is this a drama issue?  

It's clearly an issue of principle.... and I completely understand the Op, that being told you have a speeding ticket without any provision or evidence of a speeding ticket seems highly questionable.... 

If the amount were much more (i.e. 2000 baht... or even 20,000 baht) how many of us would stand firm them and demand proof ????

Thus - On this point I can see the Ops perspective - surely there is a burden of proof before a fine is demanded from a road user ???

On the fuss about 500 baht, I agree - but I don't think that is the point here - there is another facet to this issue which is worthy of discussion (IMO and clearly in the Ops opinion too).

Apparently 80% of the posters here just pay for non proven fines like a zombie. Or even bribe the police! Because we're talking just a few bucks.... Well I don't, and yes, it's a principle.

1 hour ago, rainyday said:

Apparently 80% of the posters here just pay for non proven fines like a zombie. Or even bribe the police! Because we're talking just a few bucks.... Well I don't, and yes, it's a principle.

I've been driving here almost 25 year and I've gotten tickets and paid them and I have just paid the cops, because it is cheaper and easier than going to the station. 

What is the principle? You break the law and should not have to pay the consequences? Why is that? 

11+ years experience tells me that if you drive a family car that other family (Thai's) drive/own, just pay the fine.

No. Not worth bring wasted or damned by posters saying I am racist.

No. Not worth losing your marriage.

Just relax & pay small baht.🙃🙃

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

What is the principle? You break the law and should not have to pay the consequences? Why is that? 

I'm guessing his principle is that he has no idea if he broke the law, as the incident is a few months ago, perhaps he even doesn't think he did and there is no proof....

When being told to pay a speeding fine there is usually a ticket - with this there is nothing which seems very strange. 

The only think I can think of is that a ticket was sent but was somehow lost (or sent to a wrong address) and the 'digital' system at the DLT only highlights that a fine is outstanding with no further information.

Surely there is a way that the DLT can bring up the information?... i.e. at least tell him...  time, date, location, speed (and limit)....

• Agree 1

Sorry, but tired of replying to posters who even don't bother to read the posts and apparently have no principles. More, don't respect people who do have. Again, and for the last time @ yellowtail, @ lucky bones among many others. I have NEVER received any ticket, any letter, any photo, any visit........ Nothing, NADA! How do I suppose to check? They told my wife @ the tax station there was a ticket still outstanding, dated 3 months back somewhere in Chiang Rai. Not even the road, not the time, just the moobaan and date was told. If they give me the slightest proof (or just more info that I could check that I was there and it was indeed my car)  I have made a mistake, I am happy to pay the fine. And I am not driving back to Chiangrai just for that. For me and as for now, I DID NOT BREAK ANY LAW!!!!!! Despite that, I had to pay the fine to get my tax-sticker. No yellowtail, lucky bones among many others, this is NOT CORRECT in my opninion.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Surely there is a way that the DLT can bring up the information?... i.e. at least tell him...  time, date, location, speed (and limit)....

There very well maybe! However, I can understand them not wanting to get involved in an argument. Far easier for them to tell you to go and see the police about it.

13 hours ago, rainyday said:

Despite that, I had to pay the fine to get my tax-sticker.

A classic TIT moment

Things like this do happen & you cannot reason & logic your way out of it...Trust me I have tried 😅

At the end of the day right or wrong means nothing during a TIT moment

It the price of the Thailand admission ticket (no pun intended)

No ticket... no show 😉 

Edited by mania

On 4/20/2024 at 11:17 AM, rainyday said:

Sorry, but tired of replying to posters who even don't bother to read the posts and apparently have no principles. More, don't respect people who do have. Again, and for the last time @ yellowtail, @ lucky bones among many others.

Again, what principle are you standing up for? You paid the fine, yes? 

I have NEVER received any ticket, any letter, any photo, any visit........ Nothing, NADA! How do I suppose to check?

Just because you never received it does not mean it was not sent. Who is the registered owner of the vehicle? Is the address of the registered owner the same now as when the vehicle was new, and do you currently live at that address? 

Did your wife try calling Moo Baan? 

They told my wife @ the tax station there was a ticket still outstanding, dated 3 months back somewhere in Chiang Rai. Not even the road, not the time, just the moobaan and date was told. If they give me the slightest proof (or just more info that I could check that I was there and it was indeed my car)  I have made a mistake, I am happy to pay the fine. And I am not driving back to Chiangrai just for that. For me and as for now, I DID NOT BREAK ANY LAW!!!!!! Despite that, I had to pay the fine to get my tax-sticker. No yellowtail, lucky bones among many others, this is NOT CORRECT in my opninion.

I doubt it the responsibility of the DLT to provide you with any information. It is likely their responsibility to collect the (apparently) delinquent funds. 

To be fair, would you be terribly surprised if they sent you the photo? It's been a while, but the last time I went up I think I got three tickets the same day. Speed traps all over. 

Unless you had your cruise-control set for 89 the whole way, they got you with a camera.