Unkown speeding ticket.

Had a few fines over the years, all ways had a photo, date, speed etc.

There are more and more cameras on the overhead gantries across motorways, plus they have ways to catch you when you think you are following the speed limit, traveling from Chang Mai to BKK, I was in the 120klm lane, and I got 3 tickets.

The speed said 118 to 116 on each, wife called the number on the ticket and pointed out our speed. Turns out when approaching a U-Turn section on the highway you must reduce your speed to 90klm, there were no signs on the road saying this. We paid up on two tickets (500 baht each) the third we were let off, cannot remember why.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

There are more and more cameras on the overhead gantries across motorways, plus they have ways to catch you when you think you are following the speed limit, traveling from Chang Mai to BKK, I was in the 120klm lane, and I got 3 tickets.

The speed said 118 to 116 on each, wife called the number on the ticket and pointed out our speed. Turns out when approaching a U-Turn section on the highway you must reduce your speed to 90klm, there were no signs on the road saying this. We paid up on two tickets (500 baht each) the third we were let off, cannot remember why.

So they actually enforce that (90 kph @ U-turns), and all I have seen were posted for 90kph, and didn't notice anyone slowing down, self included.  Last trip to Krung Thep was a while ago, so I guess I escaped their scrutiny.  Hua Hin via Phetchaburi to Krung Thep is only real spot for us to do 120 kph.   Then a few sections on Rama 2 / hwy #35.

Knock on wood, haven't had a camera ticket for years, and try to do the speed limit, even use the cruise control now, as the EV is a really smooth ride, and when not using the cruise control, catch myself doing 100+ too often, especially if passing, and 120 kph isn't even notice, compared to the ICE version of same car.  90kph feels so slow at times, and many times, one of the slower cars on the road, as people blow by doing at least 120kph.   They must really rack up the tickets during the year.

• Haha 1

That's for the disbelievers.

This measure has been announced since years and always been laughed at. Seems they have made it work now?

It's the first report that I come upon in the forum.

The ticket should have been sent to the address of the owner as shown in the blue car registration book.

Is that correctly updated?

Obviously the DLT does not have the details. So try your luck at the police station.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That's for the disbelievers.

This measure has been announced since years and always been laughed at. Seems they have made it work now?

It's the first report that I come upon in the forum.

The ticket should have been sent to the address of the owner as shown in the blue car registration book.

Is that correctly updated?

Obviously the DLT does not have the details. So try your luck at the police station.

id  say its  working in just a few  cases and only in some areas, I had a speeding ticket and retaxed my pickup 3 weeks  ago. I think if you live in Prachuap they are doing this "sometimes" ( im from there) but I tax my vehicles in BKK as im there often. This year we  planned to try Prachuap to see if they would pick up on this but they didnt, it was  taxed in Pranburi without issue.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's the first report that I come upon in the forum

I think there was  another report of this  happening in Pranburi   sometime ago, yet when I just retaxed mine it wasnt mentioned. It seems to work if  the ticket is  issued in the province you tax the vehicle in  but its  erratic and long may it stay that way.

• Like 1

Did you have to pay Above the 500b fine? as they can charge more for non-payment. I payed 3 at a bank with no probs about 3 months late, 2 were for crossing solid white lane lines, my worry is that our postman is a lazy SOB and I only get post every 3 months if I'm lucky, an extra 200mt off the 'main rd.' is just to much work for him. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Finally they found a way to to use those computers and enforce the speed limits .  Kudo for that.  

I think a lot of people will have the same surprise when renewing their registration/car tax payment.   Now to implement that point system and carry that over to insurance costs for violators to pay higher premiums.

Then just maybe, the highway death toll will come down.   People only comply when it hits their wallets.

Not like people haven't been warned for years a system was in place and would be instituted, eventually.   Shame many of the tickets (millions) are null & void due to the 2 yrs statue of limitations.

While I agree with the gist, I think people are more motivated by immediate feedback than delayed punishment.  I'd prefer to see them buy a few of those Dodge Challenger chase cars and pull them over and embarrass the scofflaws.  Or maybe add lights and graphics to some of the confiscated super cars, and send some cops to race driving school.  Win-win.  Put the fear of Buddha into scofflaws and the cops can have fun.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Turns out when approaching a U-Turn section on the highway you must reduce your speed to 90klm, there were no signs on the road saying this.

The 120 is only for motorways/roads with no junctions or U-turns. The reduction to 90 when there is a U-turn is a weird asian interpretation but correct. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a legit charge. If you want more details. Next time update your car ownership document to your correct address. That way you'll get the original document with all the details you want on it.

Policy now is to catch all offenders who don't pay their bills on time when they renew your tax document.

• Thumbs Up 1

We got 2 speeding tickets through the post ,our car with our number plate could be seen in the pictures.Luckly for us the wife had proof we were somewhere else that day so had go to the local police station and show them the proof, police sorted it and never heard anything more

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

This is the kind of crap they should deal with drivers like this, and theres  plenty of them round here with their overloaded fruitmobiles which seem to be on a  permanent emergency call. Speeding isnt a  problem, driving  up someones arse with impatience is a big  problem

Made me laugh at the end.

• Haha 1

Similarly, the 3 different speeds on motorways, it is ridiculous and invites to speeding.
For example, someone driving on the right lane, where you can drive 120, drives 100, you can't pass them without committing an offence.
Is there any other country in this world where you have 3 different speeds on the same road?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I had a ticket for being in the middle of a junction in Roi et. Took the paperwork on the day the post office delivered it to the house to the bank that administers receipt of fines, and the lady told me I was too late and would have to go back to Roi et to pay it. As I live in Pattaya I had no intention of doing that.

So  saved myself a  Thb 500 fine. A few weeks later I sold the car to a Thai National who lived in another province, and he subsequently reregistered the car. I guess that ticket is truly lost in the ether now !!

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I dont pay any of the fines and have still taxed my cars without problem, that 3  different vehicles.

They do better  not  concentrating on speed  and more on just sheer fkin awful driving, tailgating, no lights, hogging  the lane total lack of  attention  to the road, speed is the least of their worries when addressing the others would save way more  lives

Are you short of a couple of bob, to have to risk hassle.........?..........:unsure:

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Just finished the RT Chiang Mai to Bangkok and return. Yep, noted the drop in speed signs along the way. By the time of deceleration from 120 to 90 and then recovering the 120 speed after the U-Turn ... Hmm, keeping my fingers crossed as I tried to maintain 110-120 on the designated, separated highways.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always found that out of the registered province, my local cop told me they refuse to follow up on other provinces' tickets, and the local road tax office acts the same way. Only paid my province speeding and that was once, as it was later found the local cop shop in the area had illegally placed a 60 kph sign along a 90 kph road and placed a camera to make some additional funds. If pulled over make sure there is an officer with the group of police as that is also illegal.

Anyone ever got a camera citation for 1-5 kms over the limit; 61-65 in a 60kph zone or 91-95 in a 90kph zone ?

I'm hoping they allow 5 kms, for at least calibration or speedometer differences.   Or just being nice.

7 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

This is the kind of crap they should deal with drivers like this, and theres  plenty of them round here with their overloaded fruitmobiles which seem to be on a  permanent emergency call. Speeding isnt a  problem, driving  up someones arse with impatience is a big  problem

I usually turn on my flashers when someone tailgates, which only happens on single lane carriages. On dual lanes, I am on the left. I don't care if everyone passes me, as long as they kill themselves somewhere else.

I've only had two fines in 10 years, both from missing a speed limit sign. I console myself with the thought the fines are inexpensive compared to Western countries.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I usually turn on my flashers when someone tailgates, which only happens on single lane carriages. On dual lanes, I am on the left. I don't care if everyone passes me, as long as they kill themselves somewhere else.

I've only had two fines in 10 years, both from missing a speed limit sign. I console myself with the thought the fines are inexpensive compared to Western countries.

I move over and let them pass me, which the driver had plenty of opportunity to do, and unless passing themselves, should yield to the left anyway.   Why would you allow someone to tailgate you that long  ...  as stupid as the person tailgating IMHO

Same happened to me 2 days ago. Pay the tickets or no sticker. Had 1 ticket for 1000baht and one for 500baht. Both in Maha Sarakham. Before Maha Sarakram had several road blocks with real live cops.