Short​ return​ to​ Australia, did​ you​ bother​ with​ travel​ insurance

May be wrong forum, but wanting Oz input. Say one month visit, did it make sense? Older age price toohigh? Thoughts gentlemenplease! 

Edited by Olmate
Add

48 minutes ago, Olmate said:

May be wrong forum, but wanting Oz input. Say one month visit, did it make sense? Older age price toohigh? Thoughts gentlemenplease! 

Most of the worldwide providers won't insure 75 years old. From my research the Thai providers offer poor value for money. Can't you reinstate your Medicare?

Checked a bit on the internet, it is a nightmare... I got quotes for saying I wanted a travel insurance for 1 month, being 78 years old, to Australia only, 600-1000 dollar quotes... I would just go without insurance in that case, it is even the same to fly back here business class and then go to a public hospital. I'm paying 1600 baht a month for 250K USD coverage being early 30s..

Edited by ChaiyaTH

50 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Most of the worldwide providers won't insure 75 years old. From my research the Thai providers offer poor value for money. Can't you reinstate your Medicare?

Doubt that makes any sense he says 'lets say a month' to stay.

12 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Doubt that makes any sense he says 'lets say a month' to stay.

In case of medical emergency less than a month stay in Australia may cost you hundreds of thousands. Last time I saw prices in the North Shore Private Hospital basic ICU was around $5200 AUD per night.

Just now, gearbox said:

In case of medical emergency less than a month stay in Australia may cost you hundreds of thousands. Last time I saw prices in the North Shore Private Hospital basic ICU was around $5200 AUD per night.

Might as well die in that case, if one feels stable and healthy, and knows there is something that could popup any time, or not, there is little risk to travel a few weeks there. Might as well die or not travel if fearing it at that level. He could even just leave the country and never come back again, bailing on the bill, at his age, lol.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Yes, 75 is out, not returned in 7yrs so not sure re Medicare, but assume can do.More meaning travel issues.. also cover for thai partner I failed to mention.slap.

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

What type of insurance specifically?

Are you still covered by Medicare?

Still covered im sure Will altho 7yrs away, generally other travel issues

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Yes, 75 is out, not returned in 7yrs so not sure re Medicare, but assume can do.More meaning travel issues.. also cover for thai partner I failed to mention.slap.

Well if she is under 65, you could sort her out with safetywing.com easily. For yourself I doubt there is such requirement by going back to your own country. If you want one, it's gonna cost you a lot, if being fine with that there seems to be quite a few. You would need to compare them.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Main purpose of travel insurance is the health part. Do you have health coverage while in Australia is thereby the question.

Yes Medicare

47 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Checked a bit on the internet, it is a nightmare... I got quotes for saying I wanted a travel insurance for 1 month, being 78 years old, to Australia only, 600-1000 dollar quotes... I would just go without insurance in that case, it is even the same to fly back here business class and then go to a public hospital. I'm paying 1600 baht a month for 250K USD coverage being early 30s..

Thanks, found the quote inquiry system scary! I agree too but was interested for others thoughts.

12 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Medicare is more than enough, for medical will cover anything wrt emergency. If your Thai partner is below 60, get Safewings or World Nomads insurance, from what I've seen the Thai providers coverage is too low for serious issues in Australia.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t worry about it. If needing hospital care you are treated without money upfront. Then “accidentally forget” to pay the bill before heading back overseas - as many others do… but never me 😇

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nemises said:

I wouldn’t worry about it. If needing hospital care you are treated without money upfront. Then “accidentally forget” to pay the bill before heading back overseas - as many others do… but never me 😇

Haha, same as we,re accused by some ANmembers of doing here!  PS I am awaiting quote on doing that E600 visa from travel agent in SouthAfrica, seems all good! 

Edited by Olmate
Add
  • Like 1

Interesting issue, OP. 

A lot of the Aussie travel insurance companies state you must be an Australian citizen, and be inside Australia at the time you purchase the policy.  So, I suppose you should land in Australia, and straight away buy a domestic travel insurance policy.  

As for age, check out Southern Cross Travel Insurance.

https://www.scti.com.au

I just ran a scenario for an online quote from 1/5/24 to 31/5/24 for a 76 year old.  $505AUD with good coverage.  

For your Thai missus, you might have to look at a travel insurance company that caters for backpackers, because they only need medical. 

Check out World Nomads. 

https://www.worldnomads.com/au/?_gl=1*1ixuzzi*_gcl_au*MTY0MzU2ODU5MS4xNzEyMzkxODA4

I just ran a quote for a 60 year old Thai for the month of May in Australia and it came to $170AUD for the basic plan.  That's very reasonable.

On 3/29/2024 at 9:50 AM, Will27 said:

What type of insurance specifically?

Are you still covered by Medicare?

If you were previously covered by Medicare it can be very quickly reinstated (5 minutes) by a quick visit to any Centrelink office. No charge.

If you still have the old card or any document with your Medicare number take that with you to Centrelink. it makes the reinstatement process pretty much instantaneous. 

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

If you were previously covered by Medicare it can be very quickly reinstated (5 minutes) by a quick visit to any Centrelink office. No charge.

If you still have the old card or any document with your Medicare number take that with you to Centrelink. it makes the reinstatement process pretty much instantaneous. 

More inaccurate information from you.

Firstly, you don't have to go to a Centerlink office. 

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/enrolling-medicare-if-youre-australian-citizen?context=60092#:~:text=If you move back to,to visit a service centre.

"If you move back to Australia after more than 5 years overseas, you can re-enrol in Medicare. You don’t need to visit a service centre."

Secondly, it's not so quick and easy to re-enrol.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/enrolling-medicare-if-youre-australian-citizen?context=60092

What you need to provide

To re-enrol in Medicare you’ll need to give us both:

• a current passport for each person
  • 2 documents that prove your family live in Australia dated within the last 6 months.

Proving you now live in Australia

You can prove you live in Australia by giving us either:

• 2 documents from Australia
  • one document from Australia and one from where you last lived.
Documents from Australia Documents from the other country
Proof of rental or lease agreement and gas or electricity account in the same name Proof you sold your property
Proof of purchase of property and gas or electricity account in the same name Proof you ended your lease
Proof of your employment Proof you ended your employment
Proof your child is enrolled in childcare, school or university Proof you moved household goods or furniture
Proof you have a current bank account in Australia A statement showing you closed your bank account
Proof of health, property or contents insurance Proof you cancelled health, property or contents insurance
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Olmate said:

Scorecards correct, its called personal experience V Google.

The information is from the Services Australia website.  Obviously, a credible website.

Scorecard's experience may have been 20 years ago.  In any case, one day he claims he's on the aged pension, and the next day he claims he's on a veteran's pension.  You can't be on both pensions.  Credibility zero.   

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

The information is from the Services Australia website.  Obviously, a credible website.

Scorecard's experience may have been 20 years ago.  In any case, one day he claims he's on the aged pension, and the next day he claims he's on a veteran's pension.  You can't be on both pensions.  Credibility zero.   

"anyway"! We know what thats called dont we?!!! His experience you speak of is also mine, have read here of others numerous. Google Indeed takes you to the gov website, used it myself few days ago to use Mygov to renew logins to access pension statments to support E600visa application for GF oz holiday.And yes you can create new card there too! Interesting as your not on mygov, how do know so much about it, or maybe you are as a welfare cheat?... "Anyway.. your not in Oz, not on any pensions at all., or are you?.. " Credibility you ask?... Next

Edited by Olmate
Add
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Olmate said:

"anyway"! We know what thats called dont we?!!! His experience you speak of is also mine, have read here of others numerous. Google Indeed takes you to the gov website, used it myself few days ago to use Mygov to renew logins to access pension statments to support E600visa application for GF oz holiday.And yes you can create new card there too! Interesting as your not on mygov, how do know so much about it, or maybe you are as a welfare cheat?... "Anyway.. your not in Oz, not on any pensions at all., or are you?.. " Credibility you ask?... Next

Can you show me where in my post I used the word "anyway?"  You are misquoting me. 

So, you can re-enrol for Medicare online.  Wow, and here I was thinking one had to go to a Centerlink office.  :smile:  Scorecard didn't mention that.  He also didn't mention the documents needed.  It's obviously the government doesn't want expats flying home just for free medical treatment, only to fly out straight after.  Scorecard mentions none of this. 

Who said I'm not on MyGov? 

I am self funded.  never taken a cent from Centerlink.  Sadly for me, and many others, we pay for everyone else in Australian society.   

No, I am not in Australia, and not on the aged pension, but that's not to say I can't restructure my finances to qualify for the pension, which I may do in the future.  

i outed Scorecard when I picked him up on posting that he is on an aged pension, and then he would later post he's on a vet's pension.  You can't be on both.  If a vet, he would probably have a gold card, way better than a Medicare Card, but here he is posting about a Medicare Card and Centerlink, rather than the VA and a gold card.  He blocked me soon after I outed him on this, but now he says he can read my posts.  What BS.

You never questioned in what year he had his "experience."  Why is that? 

Scorecard is most dangerous with his advice to members on portability.  He has stated, and I quote, that people can leave Australia during their 2 years for a "prolonged period" of time.  When asked for links, no reply.

Yet, someone on a vet's pension doesn't have portability issues.  Once again, more smoke and mirrors, and more BS.  

You are vary naive to not smell his BS. 

• Sad 1