Police reform may be easier than everyone thinks

webfact

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

Because they chose this career. Plain and simple.

Do i agree they are not paid enough?  yes

Do i laugh when i see them on silly motorcycles instead of cars? yes

but they chose this career path. no excuses there

You have your opinion, however small narrow motorcycles are a much better form of transport than cars, in congested cities, and can cut through traffic when cars can't. They are also cheaper to buy, run and maintain. Posing in fast cars is one bad trait that Thai police don't have

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RobU said:

They are also cheaper to buy, run and maintain. Posing in fast cars is one bad trait that Thai police don't have

I hardly ever see cops patrolling the expressways or country roads... that would be better done in cars... and well they dont do it either way. 

no argument about cities... and the vehicles should be supplied

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

The first time a Thai citizen sees corruption in action is at the local cop level.  It grows upwards and outward from there and permeates every facet of Thai life.

Nah the first brush with corruption is at school  

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 8:31 AM, Pouatchee said:

this one, i can understand. the whole ticket system is archaic and dates back to the Mesozoic era. back home the cop writes up a ticket and you can pay at any bank or send a check in the mail. here, they take our licences (i am not sure if this has changed yet... i have not got a ticket in a while... but it was supposed to change) and we have to go pay at the station. if i am coming from bkk and going to rayong, i dont want to waste time by going to the station...

in a nutshell, the whole system was rigged to promote corruption. but hey, who am i to complain? i am just a falang even if i should have my green card already. 

Yes the process has changed, quite a lot.

11 hours ago, Marley01 said:

Do what they did in China to corrupt police and officials, start executing them. Worked a treat

Well I guess it would reduce the numbers for sure. I think Hong Kong did better with improving pay and conditions, but adopting a strict no corruption policy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Can you read?

what is the purpose of a forum if you dont contribute to it? so far you have one liner sentences that are as useful as sandpaper toilet tissue. i can read, but you came along saying what i said was no longer the case. back it up with useful information here for everyone to share. 

can't you read?

Edited by Pouatchee

nobody thinks it'll be easy, it will actually be extremely difficult if not impossible! Thais will hate to hear it, but if you want to do it right, hire foreign consultants to show you how to do it correctly. why keep trying to invent the wheel? it's already been accomplished elsewhere in the world

They managed to do this in Georgia back in 2004. It was deemed that the entire police force was too corrupt to reorganize. They fired most of the existing police force, hired new recruits and reduced the police force size by half. At the same time they started offering much higher salaries for police, thus attracting more qualified candidates. It was largely deemed as the most successful police reorganization exercise worldwide and police corruption decreased tenfold.